Enough for elk?

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
I have been working on trying to develop a possible 7-08 elk load. I used a 140 gr AccuBond and Staball 6.5, got a 4 shot average of 2890 fps. My group size wasn't exactly what I wanted but I feel like I can fix that. If taken on an elk hunt shot would be 300 and in. Would this be enough? I have never went on an elk hunt with a rifle so I want to get some opinions from of the folks here.

I would say it should work fine. One in the right place usually does the trick.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

120 TTSX work on moose. Elk shouldn’t be any issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, it will work. Just put the bullet where it needs to go and you will have a full freezer.

JD338

Yes my son killed a cow elk at 550 yards with a 280 Remington with 140 grain AccuBond. Took her right through top of the heart, she went less than 100 yards.

A 140 gr AccuBond going at that velocity, will definitely be elk steaks in your freezer.
If you think about it, the 140 gr 7mm bullet has the same Sectional Density a a .30 cal 165 gr bullet. You don't have to eek out the fastest load, try around 2800 fps, and I believe you're golden!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

My wife killed her first elk with a 7-08 flinging 140 grain Corelokts. A single hit at 210 yards sealed the deal. The cow took a few steps and piled up.

To you I would say load up and go elk hunting! You’ve got enough gun.

93d79cf98a81512bb3c6873be11bf875.jpg

filmjunkie4ever":2gorq3r3 said:
My wife killed her first elk with a 7-08 flinging 140 grain Corelokts. A single hit at 210 yards sealed the deal. The cow took a few steps and piled up.

To you I would say load up and go elk hunting! You’ve got enough gun.

93d79cf98a81512bb3c6873be11bf875.jpg

Bingo, that’s a good elk load in my book. Probably at further range than 300 as well. Lotsa elk are killed every year with less “power” than that load makes.

Elk can be tough here and there but a good bullet that opens a bit, penetrates to and thru the lungs is a dead bull/cow. It’s the weird angles and such to be wary of.

For sure plenty of elk have been taken with less cartridge. Wiser folks than I will tell you that it's mostly the bullet and where it hits. Good luck!
chs

Shot placement is critical no matter what you use. A high velocity , large caliber rifle can sometimes make up for a bad hit, but it's not something to count on. My last two elk have been taken with a 7mm, 160 AB out of the muzzle at 3000 fps. Both were one shot kills, with both animals being unaware, and broadside. Both bullets hit within inches of each other and broke a front shoulder. The first was at 300 the second a few yards past 400. Both shots were from a solid rest, and the outcome was obvious, before I pulled the trigger.

You've had better advice here than I have experience to give, but I will sat that I read an article by Craig Boddington where he related that his daughter did an africa trip w/ a 7mm-08. She took an Eland I believe w/ it. Thats about an elk sized critter. Cant see where you are "under gunned" for elk w/ what you are talking about. Good luck! CL

With your stated load, you should be in the neighborhood of 1700 ft-lbs of retained energy at 300 yards, and just over 7 inches low, given a 200 yard zero.
This will work just fine on an elk within that range, given proper bullet placement. A double lung hit is the best option.
Just stay clear of the heavy shoulder bone, as you will not necessarily have enough energy with this caliber and bullet weight to ensure penetration of that heavy, dense bone and still make it into the vitals.
I have had great success on elk over the years with 284 cal AccuBonds, but mostly the 160 gr version out of faster cartridges such as the 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag and 7MM STW. On an unaware elk within 300 yards, I would not hesitate to put a 140 gr AB into its vitals with my 7mm-08!
On a mature bull in the rut, full of adrenaline, I may limit this to 200 yards where the retained energy of this load would be closer to 2000 ft-lbs of energy, ensuring even more expansion and penetration from this great hunting bullet. And I have harvested more than two dozen elk over the years with various rifles/cartridges, at ranges from 70-475 yards, under a variety of field conditions, with a mixture of animal gender, ages and states of awareness.
Best of luck to you!

I'd say you're on the right side of the line.

We've never hunted elk, but we have taken quite a few good sized caribou bulls and they never shook off a 140 from the 7-08 and your load has a bit more steam behind it than ours did. Shoot straight and get ready to skin an elk.

A 140AB at that speed is good to go in my book.

You're good to go. Put it in the boiler room at any sane range and you got elk.

Having shot a few elk with a 7/08... I’d prefer a 140 TTSX or something of that ilk. I like exit wounds... and the ability to break a humerus bone (on the way in, or out) and keep on trucking, if necessary.

8F75A0D6-0EE3-4DB6-AA8A-DFBE4183D7E6.jpeg

82599ECA-CB4D-4E3A-B1DE-3B6FAD47117C.jpeg

190BA17A-4EA2-4BAD-9667-FD8F8F874AD6.jpeg

The big bull was a single 140 AB at 225 yards, 2850 mv. The other two were single 140 Partitions at 68 yards (4x4) and 346 yards (spike). Partitions are 2890 mv. Stainless Tikkas.

The Mighty-08 is plenty for elk.

P

ReloadKy":hzc60jvo said:
I have been working on trying to develop a possible 7-08 elk load. I used a 140 gr AccuBond and Staball 6.5, got a 4 shot average of 2890 fps. My group size wasn't exactly what I wanted but I feel like I can fix that. If taken on an elk hunt shot would be 300 and in. Would this be enough? I have never went on an elk hunt with a rifle so I want to get some opinions from of the folks here.
Just my 2 cents worth....

I now have a Winchester Featherweight M70 in 7x57 Mauser, and I wouldn't hesitate one second to go elk hunting if I were using the same 140 gr Nosler AccuBond, and getting the same velocities.
When that bullet is put in the vitals area ( heart/lungs ) it will give you the hydrostatic shock, and mushrooming you expect to see.
The 7x57, .275 Rigby, and 7mm-08 are all ballistic equivalents.
So go out there, and worry not that you have enough gun, which you do by a far cry, and tag the elk you want to shoot.
Just don't do a Texas Heart Shot ( up the keester ), and you'll be more than fine!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

I'll second what has been said. I do not have a 7-08 but I do have a 7x57 that I load to the same and maybe a hair above 7-08 level. Currently I push the 150 gr. Nosler Parton to 2847 FPS with RL17. I had planned to use that load for a cow elk hunt but stuff got in the way.

I also run the 140 gr. Ballistic Tip to 2800 FPS with W760. It was a few degrees over 100 that day and a more powder gave pressure signs and 2880 FPS. Probably be OK if the temp was around 50 or 60.

I came into a good supply of the discontinued Sierra 170 gr. Round nose Pro-Hunters so will plan doing something with those as well. Latest Nosler shows velocity to 2600 FPS+ with a few powders for a 175 gr. bullet. Speer was a bit more conservative with only one load above 2500 but several at 2550FPS+ so maybe it will prover very interesting.

Paul B.

Thanks for all of the input. My son likes "his" 7-08 and my plan is to start putting him in for KY youth elk quota or even an out west elk hunt in next couple of years. Just wanted to start working on a load for "his" rifle! Thanks again this is a great place to get quality information.

ReloadKy":1nwnc4fd said:
Thanks for all of the input. My son likes "his" 7-08 and my plan is to start putting him in for KY youth elk quota or even an out west elk hunt in next couple of years. Just wanted to start working on a load for "his" rifle! Thanks again this is a great place to get quality information.

Work up to it:

140 AB
47.5 gr Big Game
Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer

P

Back