Ever have one of “those” rifles?

1Shot

Handloader
Dec 5, 2008
22BAB981-FC75-4B7F-8C8B-BEB5AB48E90B.jpegBy that I meant a rifle that seems to shoot any load better than you can hold. A number of years ago I got in on an estate sale with some friends and we bought out all firearms and related items which turned out to be cheap for what we got. Fellow was a accuracy nut. Much of the firearms were wildcats and built on strange actions for standard wisdom for getting best accuracy. The rifle I bought was a Ruger 77 that started out as a varmint barrel 26” 220 swift. Fellow sent the barrel off and had it re-bored to .308 with 1n12 twist and chambered in 30x47 (300 savage parent case) is 24”. It is mounted in original wood stock but glassed in and has a Canjar trigger. Here’s a sample of look alike targets of which I have many. Two targets were shot at 177 yards which is as far at the time as I could shoot safely.

Well, now, that has to put a smile on the face of the most jaded rifle crank. Good show!

This rifle just plane shoots. Even when "working up loads" with numerous bullets and numerous powders it did not matter I was the limiting factor as to how the rifle shot. I think if you could put it in a vice it would shoot anything bug holes. I have killed a good number of deer with this rifle with different loads and bullets. My favorite for deer is the 125 Nosler BT which runs 2800 fps on average.

That kind of shooting will give ya the warm and fuzzies! I had, and regrettably sold, a Savage 12FCV 22-250 that was a pure joy to work with. As long as I used bullets appropriate for it's twist, it was crazy accurate and simple to find loads.

Attachments

• IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1071.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 872
I do happen to have one of "those" rifles.
A custom M700 with a blueprinted action, Tubb recoil lug, Hart #5 24" fluted barrel in a LSS stock chambered in 280AI. This rifle consistently shoots .3's or better with bullet weights of 120 gr, 140 gr, 150, and 160 gr.

JD338

Got to love it when they shoot like that.
I have a 725 Rem that I shot the 30-06 barrel throat out and had it rebarreled with a 25 cal (257 Roberts )Douglas XX Air Gauge barrel 1-12 twist and as long as the bullets are short or stubby it will do the same thing but because of the slow twist anything over 115gr round nose will key hole at 100 yds.
I use it for ground hogs and deer in heavy brush since I know if I can find a hole to shoot through it will reach the intended target.
Though all my rifles will shoot good none can equal my 257 Bob.

1Shot":1jlxu918 said:
By that I meant a rifle that seems to shoot any load better than you can hold. A number of years ago I got in on an estate sale with some friends and we bought out all firearms and related items which turned out to be cheap for what we got. Fellow was a accuracy nut. Much of the firearms were wildcats and built on strange actions for standard wisdom for getting best accuracy. The rifle I bought was a Ruger 77 that started out as a varmint barrel 26” 220 swift. Fellow sent the barrel off and had it re-bored to .308 with 1n12 twist and chambered in 30x47 (300 savage parent case) is 24”. It is mounted in original wood stock but glassed in and has a Canjar trigger. Here’s a sample of look alike targets of which I have many. Two targets were shot at 177 yards which is as far at the time as I could shoot safely.
That is some nice groups. Real pleasure to have such a consistent shooting rifle. Dan.

Good job at the loading bench and the range! That's impressive the barrel was a re-bore. I know of that case but am not familiar with it. Sounds like the previous owner was BR shooter. Any documentation indicating who did the re-bore? Thanks for sharing.
It would be interesting to know what those "strange" actions were.
Enjoy that rifle.

hunter24605":q40npzsb said:
That kind of shooting will give ya the warm and fuzzies! I had, and regrettably sold, a Savage 12FCV 22-250 that was a pure joy to work with. As long as I used bullets appropriate for it's twist, it was crazy accurate and simple to find loads.

Just once...just once...Well maybe twice! Nice! What I wonder is how he had the wisdom to stop at eight... :lol: CL

cloverleaf":3cq8kh4r said:
hunter24605":3cq8kh4r said:

Just once...just once...Well maybe twice! Nice! What I wonder is how he had the wisdom to stop at eight... :lol: CL
Haha, no wisdom here...after doing the work up that load was best..wanted to do a 10 shot group to verify, but only had 8 bullets left in the box to load. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walkinhorseman":37x29nzz said:
Good job at the loading bench and the range! That's impressive the barrel was a re-bore. I know of that case but am not familiar with it. Sounds like the previous owner was BR shooter. Any documentation indicating who did the re-bore? Thanks for sharing.
It would be interesting to know what those "strange" actions were.
Enjoy that rifle.

The other actions were Ruger #1 and Rem. 788. He also had some T/C Contender pistols and custom or reworked barrels. Everything he had was a SHOOTER. He also had a couple sleeved Rem. 700 short actions with Heart barrels in 6PPC and the one specialty action something like a BAT or the like with a Heart barrel 6PPC bench rest rifles.
He also had a Winchester 70 action rifle made up for long range bench rest in 308 Win that is a shooter also.
I bought a Contender pistol with two barrels, one was a 14" blued with no name just 6mm-225 on the barrel. The old 225 Winchester case necked up to 6mm with an AI looking shoulder. There was also a re-worked (throat) factory 10" 357 mag barrel. Both will out shoot most rifles. I have killed deer with both.
Yes he had the barrel re-bored and rifled to a 1 n 12" twist 30 cal. barrel. All this was done in the mid to late 1980s.

Back