Extra $12 Worth It?

Lazy Bushman

Beginner
Apr 17, 2022
So a box of Barnes 7mm 140 grain TSX's are $93 and Nosler E-Tips are $105. I have never used Nosler E-Tip's before so are they $12 better than Barnes? I know it's only $12 but with the cost of living these days, a little saving here and a little saving there adds up. Right now I'm not seeing (sadly) the value of the Nosler but happy to pay the extra if the value is there.

I don’t know where you live but both of those are twice the price that I can buy them here. I’ve used Barnes for awhile now and have only good things to say about them.

My question would be, have you tried either one before? I tried gthe 140 gr. TSX in three rifles chambered to the 7x57 and another in .280 Remington and accuracy sucked big time in all four rifles. The 225 gr. .35 caliber TSX usuallu shoots between .50" and .80" depending on how well I'm shooting on any particular day. FWIW the three 7x57s will all shoot MOA or better running the Nosler 150 gr. Partition. The .280 is also nearly a half inch gun with the 160 gr. Speer old style two core Grand Slam bullets so it's not the rifles that are the problem.
I'm not badmouthing the 140 gr. TSX bullet. My 7MM rifles just don't like them. Well, at least those I've tried. I've never tried that bullet in my 7MM Rem. Mag. But until the price goes down, I'll pass. I don't hunt where I'm required to use a monometal bullet. At least not yet. I might have to sometime down the road but until then? I'll pass.
Paul B.

My question would be, have you tried either one before? I tried gthe 140 gr. TSX in three rifles chambered to the 7x57 and another in .280 Remington and accuracy sucked big time in all four rifles. The 225 gr. .35 caliber TSX usuallu shoots between .50" and .80" depending on how well I'm shooting on any particular day. FWIW the three 7x57s will all shoot MOA or better running the Nosler 150 gr. Partition. The .280 is also nearly a half inch gun with the 160 gr. Speer old style two core Grand Slam bullets so it's not the rifles that are the problem.
I'm not badmouthing the 140 gr. TSX bullet. My 7MM rifles just don't like them. Well, at least those I've tried. I've never tried that bullet in my 7MM Rem. Mag. But until the price goes down, I'll pass. I don't hunt where I'm required to use a monometal bullet. At least not yet. I might have to sometime down the road but until then? I'll pass.
Paul B.
Yes I've used the TSX in my 7/08 in 140gn and they were fine and worked well....as did AccuBond and other more premium projectiles.

To add.. what do you plan on using them for?

Some properties I go to have pigs regularly over the 100kg mark. The other game are Red Deer and the occasional brumby we find on the property. I've use Accubonds for Brumbies before but I felt they were marginal. I've used the TSX before but on smaller pigs only (ie60-80kg's). Looking at stocking up my inventory and my gunshot was advertising the E-Tips and not sure if they are worth the extra money. I'm using my Remington 700 SF in 7-08. I would also consider them in my 270win too.....I would buy more Woodleigh's but they don't have them in 140gn or 150gn

I started with Barnes in 1993, 30 years hunting with the X bullet this year. It ain't broke... no need to fix anything, lol. I chased bullets all around the block in my early years. Like the grass was greener. It's not. Find what works and stick with it.

Some properties I go to have pigs regularly over the 100kg mark. The other game are Red Deer and the occasional brumby we find on the property. I've use Accubonds for Brumbies before but I felt they were marginal. I've used the TSX before but on smaller pigs only (ie60-80kg's). Looking at stocking up my inventory and my gunshot was advertising the E-Tips and not sure if they are worth the extra money. I'm using my Remington 700 SF in 7-08. I would also consider them in my 270win too.....I would buy more Woodleigh's but they don't have them in 140gn or 150gn
If you don't mind me asking what are Brumbies? Dan.

If you don't mind me asking what are Brumbies? Dan.
They are what we call wild horses. A lot of people here think "Man from Snowy River" (it's a movie go watch it) especially in the cities and have this idyllic romantic notion of these beautiful thoroughbred horses but it is far from the truth. Some can be broken in (my Dad did when I was a kid) but not all could be broken and they were inbred and had issues (a lot of them) and they destroyed fences, created problems for farm horses etc. A 30-06 is more referable but the 7/08 with a good bullet or 270w will do the job. I've never shot one at long range, typically 100m or less. I've used the accubonds and they work. The furtherest I've had one run is ~80m.

They are what we call wild horses. A lot of people here think "Man from Snowy River" (it's a movie go watch it) especially in the cities and have this idyllic romantic notion of these beautiful thoroughbred horses but it is far from the truth. Some can be broken in (my Dad did when I was a kid) but not all could be broken and they were inbred and had issues (a lot of them) and they destroyed fences, created problems for farm horses etc. A 30-06 is more referable but the 7/08 with a good bullet or 270w will do the job. I've never shot one at long range, typically 100m or less. I've used the accubonds and they work. The furtherest I've had one run is ~80m.
Kinda thought that was what they are but wasn't for sure. Thanks for the info. Dan.

Back