F-Class for Dummies

Zeke Menuar

Beginner
Nov 19, 2005
Myself being the dummy in question.

Rather than hi-jack the other thread, I started this one.

Due to a work injury I can't shoot IPSC. In addition. I am a much better rifleman than pistol shooter.

I don't think I can afford another new gun. I have bought two new guns this year as well as a bunch of IPSC related stuff which I can't use, for now.

What's a guy to do?

I have a M700 ADL hunting rifle in 270 with the factory 22" thin barrel. It's topped with a Meuller 3.5x10x44 scope with target turrets. The trigger has already been tweaked. If the Meuller scope isn't enough I have a Nikon 4.5x14x40 I can rob off my Weatherby.

So. Why not order a short chambered heavy barrel, 24"-26" and use a 270 for F-Class. I have 135gr Match-Kings and IMR-4350. Seems like the most affordable route. I have years of experience with the 270, and lot's of loads and data.

What kind of other gear is needed?
Bi-Pod, spotting scope etc.

What about a gunsmith in Oregon/I-5 Corridor that does work for F-Class shooters and know what they want?

What clubs in Oregon shoot F-Class?

Thanks
ZM

:grin: You can certainly use a .270. It will be a unique choice. Not many guys compete with one because it's known as a hunting cartridge, not a match cartridge and has limited match bullet availability. But heck yes, it will do it! I know a couple of guys who have used the .25-06 and done well. Also, any of those bigger case cartridges will eat up a barrel faster than say a .308 Winchester. I've gotten over 5000 rounds of accurate barrel life from a .308 Winchester but wouldn't antcipate much over 2500 - 3000 rounds from something like a .270 - just food for thought.

There are several guys here in the Pacific Northwest who can build the rifle for you - I'd recommend Rick Freudenberg in Everett Washington, not far off I-5. Rick is a serious rifle builder, match shooter and hunter. He glass bedded a precision rifle for me and did a superb job. He's built many other winning long-range match rifles, for some big name shooters.

http://www.freudscustomrifles.com

You don't "need" much beyond a good rifle, a bipod or front rest, a bunny ear rear bag, a decent scope and some good ammo to start with. A shooting mat is a wonderful thing to have. A spotting scope is nice, but many guys just make do with the scope on their rifle at first. One of the great things about F-class is how little equipment is needed to compete. Most varmint hunters already have everything they need. :grin:

Here's a link to a great article on F-class shooting:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek031.html

Regards, Guy

Back