Featherweight 30-06

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Within the past year I acquired one of the new Winchester Featherweights chambered in 30-06. I was able to do some work with it at the bench yesterday. I cannot say that it is a tack driver; but, then, it is still in the break-in period. It is a handsome rifle, with great character in the wood.

WinchesterFeatherweight30-06.jpg
[/img]

The rifle shoots well, with a variety of loads giving one inch or so for groups. I was working up some loads with 165 grain ABs and RL17 yesterday, and with 150 grain Hornady SP and RL 17. All the groups were in the 1.25 to 1.5 inch range, which is promising. The velocities were very good, however. From a 22 inch barrel, the 150 grain bullets were giving almost 3000 fps, and the 165 grain bullets were giving 2840 +/- 19 fps with 1.25 inch groups. One big surprise was a load with 165 grain Hornady IB and IMR4831, however. The group was sub-MOA and velocity was over 2900 fps. I think this will bear further exploration. I intend to do some more work with RL17 and the 165 grain AB over the summer.

[/img]
30-06165IBIMR4831.jpg

Very nice looking rifle. I am very interested in what you find out with the RL17, I have been wondering about that powder with the 165 ABs.

Corey

Across the spectrum of loads with RL17, the groups ranged from 1.25 to 1.5 inches, with some tightening of the group as I approached max load. Again, playing with seating depth will possibly provide a more exciting load.

The rifle looks great, and the group/load is terrific for pretty much any big game hunting in North America. Okay, there are probably better choices for the biggest game, but the 'ol .30-06 will do for most game, for most of us.

Any sporter-weight rifle that shoots hunting bullets into sub MOA groups is just fine.

Again - fine looking rifle. I like it! :grin:

Guy,

I've never been a fan of the 30-06, not because it doesn't work, but because everyone has one. However, a pretty piece of wood and some good craftsmanship can convert even the most hardened cynic. The rifle will do everything anyone needs in most situations. Moreover, I do enjoy shooting it, and it is easy to load for. I anticipate that this one will shoot better as I refine loads and work with it some more.

Interesting - when I was a kid, most everyone I knew, including me, used the .30-06 for everything. I liked it a lot, but was reading all these doggone articles in the shooting magazines, and Grandpa himself was a bit of an experimenter. Way back in the 1950's he had a .257 Weatherby mag and a .219 Zipper and some other stuff I've probably forgotten about... So, I started messing around with different rifles and cartridges when I could afford to do so.

Learned a lot. Had a lot of fun. However my good old 1917 .30-06 could have done quite nicely for almost alll the deer and other big game I've ever taken with a rifle. There have been a few that were taken at ranges beyond the accuracy capability of that old rifle, but at normal ranges it's fine.

I've found that over the years most of those other rifles and cartridges have slipped away and I'm spending more and more time at the range and afield with my good old .30-06 rifle, the same rifle I grew up shooting as a kid.

Dad, in his 80's now, thinks it's a hoot! :grin: His .30-06 was always enough for him, although he did use a .308 for a number of years before giving it to my oldest son.

I really like the wood in your new Winchester. Good strong straight grain, but a hint of fiddleback, if that's the right word, just enough to make it interesting. Very nice!

DrMike,

A true American Classic in a Classic caliber.

JD338

Like I said, I never particularly wanted a 30-06. It wasn't because it was a bad calibre, it was because they were everywhere. However, I have often recommended the calibre to people looking for one rifle. It will fill the bill on almost every hunt in North America, with the possible exception of the great bears along the coast, and it will work there if there are no serious problems that arise. It did America well through two major wars, and has become a world-wise phenomenon. It is a classic cartridge, and I do like the Featherweight.

Classy looking riffle!

Thanks for the compliment, POP. I fell in love with the featherweight over twenty years ago, and have a fair stable of them. I stuck with Winchester through thick and thin, and I am so pleased that the name is applied to a well-built rifle again.

Mike -

Does your '06 have a good bit of muzzle jump? My particular rifle does have a LOT of muzzle jump so I wasn't sure if that was common to the short barrel Model 70's.

That is a great looking rifle!!

There is no muzzle jump. It is a 22 inch barrel, which is pretty much standard for factory rifles. It is actually a comfortable rifle to shoot from the bench, and it is about the right weight for comfortable carry.

Back