Federal Brass

freestylmx

Beginner
Feb 20, 2012
Ive heard that Federal brass doesn't last as many loads as others, but I haven't had any problems so far (but Im only on my 3rd load of 5.56 with Federal)

Im asking about magnum loads. Im having a hard time finding 270WSM brass for any decent price but can get a bunch of new Federal in 270 win and 270WSM which I load for both.

Im guessing its just as good as any other typical brass..but is there anything I should be concerned about?

I have heard horror stories about Federal brass; however, I've never found it to be problematic. I use it without any concerns. It gives me as much life as most other brass. No brass holds up when we push the limits of pressure.

A friend started reloading his 243 Win with Federal brass and in 2-3 loadings it was cooked. Primer pockets loose and splits at the shoulder/neck area. He switched to Rem brass and that was the only component change and he has great case life now.

That is my only dealing with Federal brass, I know others have had great luck with it.

With near-max .308 Win loads, for long-range match shooting, my Federal brass would get loose primer pockets after three firings. But... I have to admit that the accuracy from my Federal brass was very good. I like the stuff.

It seems to have gotten better in the last 5 or 6 years... it's not as soft as it used to be. We do reload it with good results. Just don't over load it. :)

The late gun writer Bob Hagel did an article in IIRC Handloader Magazine where he did tests on Winchester, Remington and Federal brass to determine the hardness of the brass. The Winchester was the hardest with Remington next. The Federal was the softest. Around that time I was looking for some brass for what was then my new Ruger #1B in .300 Win. Mag. All I could find was 100 rounds of Federal so with some hesitance I bought it. It held up just fine shooting the 200 gr. Nosler Partition semi-round nose bullets into nice .75" average groups. I kind of wish Nosler hadn't dropped that one.
On the other hand, I was given 1,100 rounds of once fired .308 Win. Federal Gold Medal Match brass a while back and when I loaded up 50 rounds I found the primer pockets were very loose with Winchester primers. I know for a fact that the brass was definitely once fired. Maybe a bad lot? I don't know. Been trying off and on to locate some CCI primers to try and they're a little fatter.
Anyway when it comes to brass I like Winchester first, Remington a close second and Federal last.
Paul B.

I have had really good luck with Federal plated cases for my 338 RUM.
Running a near max load of Retumbo with a 250 gr AB and 6-7 loadings with tight primer pockets.

JD338

My experience leads me to say that Federal loads their ammunition somewhat hot. Consequently, using once-fired brass does create a problem as the primer pockets tend to be enlarged (indicative of high pressures). However, when I use new Federal brass, I get good service from the brass. I don't push for higher pressure in an attempt to wring out every last fps of velocity. Acting in a somewhat conservative manner ensures that my brass serves me well for the same period as that manufactured by either Winchester or Remington or PMC (which, by the way, appears to be a very good product). More and more I'm tending toward Lapua, Norma and RWS, however. I do see a couple of bags of Federal on my shelf of cases. I anticipate no problems.

JD338":uwus3nyc said:
I have had really good luck with Federal plated cases for my 338 RUM.
Running a near max load of Retumbo with a 250 gr AB and 6-7 loadings with tight primer pockets.

JD338

If your getting 6-7 loadings with the 338 RUM your doing well.

I have had the same results with the 338 Win and Federal cases. Primer pockets seem to hold up fine.

Hmmm. Maybe if I wasn't trying to get .300 mag level performance from my .308 Win? :mrgreen:

JUST KIDDING!

Some guy measured the diameter of all of the primers and federal primers are the largest if I recall right. If the once fired FC was loaded with Federal primers, is there a possibility that the pockets sort of sized to the primer (I understand the primer is softer and will give way first, but the expansion and contraction of the brass around the primer is what I'm thinking about here) and that is why the pockets give way so fast in subsequent loadings? I did score about 150 FC 5.56 cases (dated 11 and 12) from the range last weekend and they took a little more pressure to decap the primer than what I was used to.

I'm on my second firing of my nickel plated 7mm Rem Mag cases. Primers seem ok.

2-3 firings of 7.62 cases, some cases have been scrapped due to primers being loose.

2-3 firings of converted .223 for the blackout. So loose they fall out by the 3rd firing (one as .223 and other two as the .300 caliber). All that time trimming and sizing...

I use quite a bit of Federal brass and have mixed luck.

Two lots in my 243 are soft and I loose a few cases every cycle to enlarged primer pockets. Both lots have 5 firings, started seeing problems at third firing. They are being used for hot varmint loads.

Also see some issues in the 25-06 where I have 3 lots of Federal brass. Lose cases each cycle. Only on third or fourth reloading on those.

My 7RM seems the opposite. Haven't seen any problems at all. One lot is on its 6th reloading.

Im going to go ahead and buy about 250 of the Federal 270WSM brass and see how it goes...thanks for the replies

I bought a 100 once fired, Federal Match .308 cases for my .308. Using CCI primers, I have had no issues.
Winchester cases seem to shoot slightly smaller groups, but the difference is neglible.

I too get about 3-4 loadings before some of the pockets start getting loose. I have several thousand once fired .223 in coffee cans from when I was in the PD. I have a great load but wish the pockets held up longer, oh well I just toss them and move on to the next coffee can.Lee :mrgreen:

Charlie, Haven't used Nosler brass but I've used Norma on many occasions and it is excellent. For handguns Winchester and Remington have held up great.

Oldtrader3":nklmx97o said:
Use Nosler or Norma brass!

Or Lapua. Or Winchester. Or Federal. Or Remington. All have been used Very Successfully for target, varmint and hunting ammo.

Guy

Oldtrader3":3wf2yor6 said:
Use Nosler or Norma brass!
If I could afford it I would. 270wsm Norma is super expensive. Is the huge cost difference justifiable?
If I could get around 10 loads with Norma then Id say its worth it...Nosler is made by Norma correct?
As far as I know Lapua doesn't make WSM brass, but I could be wrong

Back