Finally had a Kimber that wouldn't shoot

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I've always been lucky with Kimbers. My first was an M84 in 7mm08 that was a bughole grouper with Hornady LM ammo. I've owned an 84L Classic in .270 that was perfection and another 8400 Classic Stainless in 300 WSM that is another joy ( I gave both of those to my grand daughter) I had recently found a used Kimber 8400 Classic in 300 WSM for a very reasonable price at a LGS. It checked out physically in perfect shape. I found out, the hard way (burning up precious components I might add) it has a very minimum spec chamber, so I run into pressure long before any meaningful velocity. I never had a "group" smaller than 2 1/2 inches. I tried Hornady 165 SST, Barnes 130, 150, 168. 175 LRX and TTSXs and had new WW brass, all sorted by weight and neck turned. Bummer. I sold that puppy off. I'm going to wait a bit and try another Bergara B14 in 300 WM. I had one in the B14 Hunter last year, great shooter. This time around I think I'm going to try the B14 Ridge Wilderness, also in 300WM. I have plenty of 300WM brass, dies, etc. I think the bit of extra weight will help for shots from 300 to 500. ( I never shoot at unwounded game past 350 or so, but like to know where my rifle hits out to 500 in case I wound one that needs finishing. OR, everything is perfect, from my rifles rest to the wind, animal position, the stars aligned and my mouth is set right. :) In meantime, I had bought a new 84L Hunter in .270 to wring out. about to go to the range.

There was a period in the mid to late 2000's where there were many Kimbers coming north of the border that wouldn't shoot. Our LGS became an unofficial warranty centre for dealing with these rifles, rebarreling many of them with new barrels sourced from Kimber. This did not resolve the issue.
Dr Mike even tried fine tuning handloads for the various rifles to see if he could find loads that would help.
Eventually, they determined that it was the muzzle crowns that had to be trued in order to get them to shoot.

I had an 8400 in 30-06 that wouldn't shoot better than 2" with anything from their "problem era" in the mid 2000s.

I did some testing with everything I could source, but ultimately sent it packing down the road.

Never owned one but happened to be at the range one day and there was a guy there having a hard time with his (280 Ackley), one of those really lightweight models, I forget the model name, but it was a Kimber.

After he shot up a box of ammo with poor results, he asked me to try it and see if I could get anything out of it.

Nope... I tried his rounds and my reloads for my 280 Ackley... that rifle didn't even produce a recognizable pattern let alone anything that resembled a group.

Even at 25 yards, some missed a paper plate.

Scope was tight, stock was tight, nothing looked out of place down the bore.

No idea what he ended up doing with it, didn't know the guy, just happened to be there on the same day, haven't seen him since.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have found that most of them BM can be made to shoot. I have a check list I go thru.

Check magazine box for binding
Check action screws to be sure they are not bottoming out
Check scope base screws to be sure they are not bottoming out
Free float the barrel

After checking those issues I have yet to find one that wouldn’t produce hunting accuracy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just sent another Kimber packing! It was a brand new 84L Hunter (stainless with black coating & camo stock) It shot a walking string going down. Also, the worst part, it would extract the case but drop it out of the bolt before it could be ejected. The box magazine didn't thrill me either. I determined then and there to sell it too! I then took the money and bought another Bergara B14 Hunter in 300 Win Mag ( like I used last year) excpet this one has the camo, Krypto pattern stock. I will have it skim bedded and add a Trigger Tech Special to it. I am getting to old and cranky for these lwt/skinny barrel rifles anymore, ha. I don't climb mountains like I used to, so a bit more weight won't kill me ( love those hayfield cow elk hunts! :))

That’s too bad. Been around a few and like Bear mentioned, a few needed bedding but otherwise they’ve been great shooting rifles.

As Gil stated, I witnessed a spate of bad product during a period. All were corrected when they were recrowned. The fact that they escaped the factory with that flaw demonstrated some poor QC. It wasn't only here in northern BC that these rifles were showing up, but they were sent to the LGS from multiple sites across Canada. It sure has made me uneasy about Kimber ever since.

I could have played around with the bedding & crown on this last .270, but the fact that it was going to have to go back to the factory ( for the bolt issue) is a deal breaker with me. I have done that with rifles through the years and have more bad experience than good, unfortunately. I'd rather lose a little money selling/trading off than pay the grief/waiting time dealing with Bureaucracy. I've paid smiths to fix a lot of things that were "under warranty". Time is the most precious thing we all have...and its running through our fingers on our "best day", ha. I also handled another Bergara ridge before deciding on another Hunter, just didn't handle right for me/way I hunt.

I recently done some trigger work on a fairly new Kimber in 7-08. Seemed like a well made rifle, and it shot fair.......1", but not tack driving. That rifle was factory bedded and had pillars installed by I assume the factory.

It seemed to me that the pillars were installed post bedding, and sat slightly proud causing the action to ride on the pillars. If it was mine I would've bedded it again so the action was supported by the bedding. My take on that rifle, but I could be all wet.

Well, my last Kimber Classic .270 (dark wood stock) was the one I gave to my SIL for my grand daughter's future ( she's only 11 ) I knew she might never shoot it,( like my other two grand kids who want nothing to do with guns) so I asked my SIL if I could keep it/use it until later in Life ( meaning until the end of mine that is, ha) It is a very accurate little 84L, trigger nice and crisp at 2# and a pure joy to hold in your hands, ha. When I first got it (last year) I had it sent off to 300 Below for cryo treatment. It just does not walk rounds when hot! Sweet! I thought "why should I keep spending money and gambling on rifles that will shoot"? So I'm happy! I have some Speer 150HC I'm going to try out with new, prepped Winchester brass. Gonna try IMR 7828/Fed 210m first. I have given around a dozen special rifles to this grand daughter's future, from .223 , mild 6mms, on up ( as an inheritance) so if/when she ever wants to shoot, her Marine dad will train her. And if she doesn't want to, fine, her dad can sell them and give her the money. So, in the meantime, I'm not a "bad guy" by using/making memories with this one...am I? Too bad!! (y) :twisted: ha!

Preacher i think you will di well with 7828 in the 270. Mine loves it. If it don't try some rl26 or 6.5 stabal if you can find it. I'm lucky i have 24lb of both.

I got excellent accuracy out of this rifle, last year, with 62.6gr Hunter and the 110TTSX. I think I am going to try and work up to that with the 110 Vmax too. I have had good luck with Hunter in this case. I also have some already loaded with IMR 4831, just cause I have the powder. Will see how it likes that. this is a very neat little rifle...slim and scaled down, I really like it. I have an older Vortex 1.5x8 on it. Small yet surprisingly clear and accurate.

I got excellent accuracy out of this rifle, last year, with 62.6gr Hunter and the 110TTSX. I think I am going to try and work up to that with the 110 Vmax too. I have had good luck with Hunter in this case. I also have some already loaded with IMR 4831, just cause I have the powder. Will see how it likes that. this is a very neat little rifle...slim and scaled down, I really like it. I have an older Vortex 1.5x8 on it. Small yet surprisingly clear and accurate. I'm waiting to get my new Bergara B14 Hunter in 300WM back from the Smith before I go to the range. Its being skim bedded and having a TT Special put in.

Back