First buck with the 7-08

beerbucksducks

Beginner
Dec 1, 2014
I don't post here much but I enjoy reading all the range reports, load data and hunting stories, so I figured I would try to add something to the forum! I was able to fill my Washington deer tag earlier this week. There's not much of a story but I was with my grandpa sitting on a clear cut where I had shot two other bucks in prior years when this spike came in. My freezer was looking pretty empty so I put my Remington model 7 7mm-08 on the shooting sticks and double lunged him at 170 yards. He fell over backwards, got up, and ran 10 yards before piling up. I am shooting 150 gr ballistic tips over a max load of imr 4350. Couldn't have asked for better performance. Not my biggest buck but I am more than happy to have some meat for this winter.
0dad40a03809d26cce54434939f5431f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....and there ain't nothing wrong with that!

Nice deer, nice rifle- congratulations on a full(er) freezer!

Congrats! I wish I could still sit with my grandpa in the deer woods. I'm sure you will cherish that memory for a lifetime. Thanks for sharing.

He'll provide excellent table fare this winter. Congratulations. He's better by far than the bucks I've seen walking away this fall.

Nothing wrong with that one. Today was my last day for rifle deer, and I sure would have been happy to go home with one like that. Well done.

Sounds like an excellent hunt with a terrific cartridge!! Enjoy that time with Gramps too?

And that is what hunting is all about friend. I would've been glad to have this buck in my sights this year, I am ending up with tag soup this year.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Dale

That's good eating and time with your Grandpa is priceless.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! The 150 entered broad side behind the right shoulder, destroyed both lungs, and exited high in the left shoulder. He's hanging in the cooler so I will try to remember to take a couple pictures before I cut him up.

Looks about the same as the 140 gr Ballistic Tip from a 260 from a recent hunt. Some damage around the entry and exit but not too much lost meat.

I like that 150 BT in the 7mm's. Usually very accurate and it's a stout bullet from what the jugs show.

Well congratulations!

A nice family hunt, a quick kill and some wonderful whitetail steaks! (y)

Having Grandpa with you makes that a "big time buck" in my book. Very nice, good eating too. CL

I've been lucky enough to have him with me for every deer I have shot. I hope to continue the trend for as long as possible!

beerbucksducks":9d759cnl said:
I've been lucky enough to have him with me for every deer I have shot. I hope to continue the trend for as long as possible!

As does he, no doubt. :grin:

Back