First Quarter Bore

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I should be ashamed to admit it, but despite looking for a number of years at various iterations of .25 calibre rifles, I just secured my first quarter bore--a Remington CDL SF Ltd. Edition in 257 Roberts. It is certainly a handsome rifle, though I hate to admit to my hunting partner that another Remington is stowed in my safe (he secretly lusts in his heart after my rifles). I had a little extra in my account and decided to grab the rifle after quietly observing it reposing forlornly on the gun shelf for several weeks.

I have a 2.5 - 8 X 36 Leopold that is now on a Model 94 chambered in .356 that will fit on the rifle, at least at first. (I plan to replace the Leopold on the Model 94 with a 1.1 - 4 Kahles scope that I have.) I snagged several boxes of bullets ranging from 115 to 120 grains (I tend to load heavy for calibre). I hope to use this as my primary deer cartridge next fall, perhaps carrying it for black bear this next spring. Any suggestions on loads from those of you loading for this cartridge?

Doc Mike,

I have a std Bob and an Imp Bob, but I use only the 100gr NBT's. How ever, mine love H4350 a grain or so off max and they are running around 3150. Very happy with the Bob...

Rod

Thanks, Rod. I think I'll have fun with this rifle. The 100 grain E-Tip looks interesting to me. I think it would work well with this rifle. I'll work up some loads with the 115 grain Partitions that I secured and use them for black bear this spring. In the interim, I'll see if the 100 grain E-Tip is available during the late spring or summer to develop a load for deer in the fall.

That is a great rifle that you just snagged, and a fantastic cartridge!! I load 120 grain Partitions that work great in a 25-06 that I have. That would be a great one to try in your rifle as well as the 110 gr. AccuBond. Splits the 100 grain and 120 grain bullets perfectly and I think would work great in the .257 Roberts.

Congrats! Never ever been without a 25-06 myself.

Hey Doc :) -
Glad to hear you picked up one of the CDL limited's. Mine is still unfired in the box. I have stayed on the lighter side with the Bob's loaded so far, but here are the loads that have worked well for me: 100 BT-36 grains of IMR4895, 210M primer and 110AB-46.5 grains of R19 with a 210M primer. Both of these loads are for a Ruger hawkeye and will shoot close to 1/2 MOA now that I have the seating depth figured out. My Pre-64 has been Ackley'd, so that data won't do you any good. You should try some of the 110AB's before you stay with the heavier bullets. I have had outstanding results with this bullet on a couple large whitetail bucks and one good sized mulie buck that was ranged on 247 yards before the shot.

Let me know if it shoots well out of the box, or if you have to go through what I went through with the 2008 CDL limited. That involved both a bedding job and removal of the pressure points at the fore-end of the stock.

I think the 120gr bullets are too heavy for the 257roberts myself. I load mine with 100gr PAR or BT and H-414 powder or IMR4064. The 100gr e-tip would do well especially on bigger game.

Sorry but I save my 115grPAR bullets for my new 257weatherby.

257 Ackley,

I'll likely have the rifle tweaked before I bring it home. Actually, it is still at the store as I need to make some room. For certain, I'll lighten the trigger and take the action out of the stock to look carefully at what is offered as bedding. It is quite likely that I'll bed the rifle in the coming week.

I really appreciate the information concerning the 110 grain AB. Unfortunately, we didn't have any ABs in stock when I looked over the shelf on Saturday. I have some on order, but we don't know when our next bullet order is coming in, so I'm holding onto what I have.

Hopefully, I'll have a report in the next several weeks. This week may be out. We have had about ten inches of snow during the past two days, and more is forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Until the range is ploughed, I'll probably stay home.

Get you some Reloder 22 and stoke those 115 bts starting at 45grs and work up. Same for the 110 AccuBond. When you get close to max you should get velocity of around 3050 fps. In my gun that max is 47.5 grs. I too am anticipating those 100 etips for the Bob.

welcome to the club I have 2 now the 25.06 700 classic and my new 257 wby christensen arms now my dad wants one. Cant beat the versatility of the 257 I just wish the 257 bob 700 limited was last years gun since that was the year my daughter was born oh well the 260 will do her fine

Way to go Dr. Mike!!! I have loked at one of those CDLs' and they are NICE!! and a .25 to boot. The "bob" is a great round. Good luck with the load development. CL

Congratulations,
I don't have any experience with the quarter bores but I think there are as many 25-06 nuts as 280 nuts on this forum so you should get plenty of load data.
I think you will like your rifle. I have a 30-06 and a 280 both are limited aniversary editions and they shoot great. I did bed the action, remove the pressure point and do a trigger job.
In my case both rifles shoot as well or better than they look. Sub moa in both cases.
Post some pistures.

Sub moa in both cases.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to getting some range time, but it looks like next week at the earliest before I'll be able to spend time with the rifle. Even then, it is iffy as I still have one whitetail tag to fill and want to spend some time looking in a productive area. I believe it can be made to shoot well, however, but I do want to ensure there are no pressure points and that the action is bedded and the trigger lightened.

Congrats on the 257. I like those CDL's. I have one in the Whelen and it is a shooter. Look forward to hearing about your load work Mike. I would really like to get a .257 and .264 cal shortly. Scotty

I passed on the 350 Rem Mag in CDL to pick up the 673. I have thought on occasion that I may have made a mistake. However, the 257 Bob may make up for past sins! :roll:

Yeah, as much as I love my M70's, that CDL is the best pointing rifle I own. It is almost like it is made for me. I would like to have the Model 7 CDL in 260 and then a M700 CDL in a 25-06 or 257. I am not picky. Either would be pretty fun to have. Scotty

It is not so much the time. It is the money. Everytime you buy a rifle, gotta throw some mounts and rings on it. Then heck, gotta have a good scope for it. Heck then you gotta get some dies, bullets and some fresh cases. It is a viscious cycle! Scotty

Back