Forster Co-Ax press

Elkman

Handloader
Apr 4, 2010
Last summer my neighbor offered me a box of stuff he no longer needed for $200. In that box was a Forster Co-Ax press, in almost like new condition. I have been playing around with the idea of replacing my 50 year old Herters press (i have three of them) and today I got the Forster out of the box and was studying it. After watching a couple of videos online I have a question regarding priming. I understand the process, but am not sure if the tool will allow you to prime different sizes of primers without changing the little head in the tool, or how to change it, if its necessary. He was loading for pistols and I primarily load for rifles and use another press for pistol. So I am not sure that I can load for large rifle primers with the way it is currently set up. I don't want to bolt it down until I am sure that I can use it. I know someone here can help me out.!!!! Thx

Bill,
Call me.
Easier to explain it that type it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The little tool, so to speak, just unscrews. You then screw in the larger priming cup.

Buy a couple of spares of each size. When you least want it to, a primer will be sideways or worse yet upside down, and they can be a challenge to remove. Don't ask how I know. :mrgreen:

As a result I have a couple of extras just in case I break another.

The little tool, so to speak, just unscrews. You then screw in the larger priming cup.
Buy a couple of spares of each size. When you least want it to, a primer will be sideways or worse yet upside down, and they can be a challenge to remove. Don't ask how I know.

Thank you dr., I am pretty confident that I know how, you know these things. I will order what I need.

I switched to hand priming when I picked up a rcbs priming tool cheap years ago and haven't gone back to using my press to prime. The rcbs broke and it was replaced by a Lee xr that works fine. Might be another option for you.

I had always primed on my press untill the good DrMike gifted me a used RCBS hand tool and I have been using it since I got it. Every now and then I will use the priming feature on the Dillon 550B when I only have a few cases to prime, you can prime a lot of case quickly with the 550B since the primer tube will hold 100 primers at a time.

Bill, did you get it sorted out?

I love my COAX but I do use a hand primer these days for ease of use.

If I'm only loading a dozen rounds or so, I'll go ahead and just use the Co-Ax priming station. No doubt it is positively consistent, but it IS slow going. I use my RCBS hand priming tool if I've got more work to do.

Bill, did you get it sorted out?

I did, it works similar to my current press and after several discussions with myself I am thinking of selling it. Someone here has already approached me, and we are working on a deal.

Back