Getting a Swan Out Of A Ugly Duckling

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I recently picked up a Winchester M70 with the cheap plastic W stock on it and my intentions are to make it into a thing of beauty.
Besides who wants to shoot a 6.5lb rifle in 300 Win? Not me for sure.
Any way I picked up some scarce 2 piece bottom a 3.6" mag box and follower and assembled it in a brown laminated stock that I just happen to have with pillars already installed. Still waiting for the short style bolt stop to arrive so I can take advantage of the big mag box.
This rifle turned out to be pristine with almost no appreciable wear. When I took it apart to exam it and do some trigger work on it I could believe how little wear there was on the parts and bluing. The darn thing looks almost brand new and probably only shot a few times and became a safe queen due to high recoil with that light plastic stock on it.
Here's some before and after pictures to drool over. :grin:
Now if she shoots good I will be ecstatic.

Attachments

• KIMG0071.jpeg
    KIMG0071.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 851
  • KIMG0072.jpeg
    KIMG0072.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 851
  • KIMG0073.jpeg
    KIMG0073.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 851
  • KIMG0074.jpeg
    KIMG0074.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 851
  • KIMG0075.jpeg
    KIMG0075.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 851
So, it's not a black swan; and ugly ducklings are supposed to grow into lovely swans in any case. Good looking job, Rodger.

FOTIS":2qs1tyxu said:

Me!
You use a lead sled on the bench. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I don't have one to soak up the recoil, off hand would be a different story.
If I keep getting these magnums I may invest in one to save my shoulder or get a clamp on muzzle brake. :grin:

truck driver":393ccdem said:
FOTIS":393ccdem said:

Me!
And I don't have one to soak up the recoil, off hand would be a different story.
If I keep getting these magnums I may invest in one to save my shoulder or get a clamp on muzzle brake. :grin:

No lead sled for me just this

s-l500.jpg

FOTIS":11dreetg said:
truck driver":11dreetg said:
FOTIS":11dreetg said:

Me!

No lead sled for me just this

s-l500.jpg
That's still better then a T shirt. :grin:

Good looking rifle, and I hope it shoots well for you!

That laminated stock makes it look real nice. Probably handles well too.

Guy

Guy Miner":39w42i9x said:
Good looking rifle, and I hope it shoots well for you!

That laminated stock makes it look real nice. Probably handles well too.

Guy
Thanks Guy I appreciate your comments.
Once I pulled the factory stock off the action every thing showed very little wear and looked like it was brand new. The plastic stock had a few scratches on it but the metal is pristine with no bluing wear. I feel like I stole it for what I paid for it.
The barrel is thinner then I would like so I'll have to watch how fast I shoot it between shots.

Thanks Jim, I used a old stock from a previous build I had laying around collecting dust. Can't wait to see how it shoots.
Where's April when you post a rifle with a wood stock? All she says is how she dislikes our carbon glass synthetic stocks.

Very nice, Rodger. A Winchester Model 70 in 300 win mag, doesn't get any better than that. Congrats!

Dwh7271":256evch1 said:
Well done TD.
I'd bet it going to shoot.
Thanks Dewey, I'll be hitting you up for some QL info once I get my brass and get a case volume.

Looks pretty good to me TD! I don't sweat a 6.5lb rifle most days, but the time you put a decent set of mounts, a scope and a mag full of ammo they creep up on the heavy end of stuff pretty quick!

I wouldn't sweat the barrel profile either, it'll either walk or it won't. Such as life with a Hammer Forged barrel. I am thinking after some decent load work it'll be just fine.

What bullet are you looking at using in it?

SJB358":1i7rb0ui said:
Looks pretty good to me TD! I don't sweat a 6.5lb rifle most days, but the time you put a decent set of mounts, a scope and a mag full of ammo they creep up on the heavy end of stuff pretty quick!

I wouldn't sweat the barrel profile either, it'll either walk or it won't. Such as life with a Hammer Forged barrel. I am thinking after some decent load work it'll be just fine.

What bullet are you looking at using in it?
Anything from a165gr Hornady, 165gr PT to a 180gr Hornady which I have on hand and might even try a 125 AB which I also have. Maybe some 165gr monos as well. Not looking for the fast load just the most accurate for hunting.
Fotis has me thinking about the LXR since they shot well in his 30-378.

Any of those would work fine out of the 300 Win.. Hard to beat a good 165-180 for general purpose sorta work. Some long 200-220's might be fun to mess with as well since you are opening up the magazine as well... The 300 with a 3.6 box on it opens a bunch of doors.

SJB358":peb5ajz3 said:
Any of those would work fine out of the 300 Win.. Hard to beat a good 165-180 for general purpose sorta work. Some long 200-220's might be fun to mess with as well since you are opening up the magazine as well... The 300 with a 3.6 box on it opens a bunch of doors.
The bolt stop will arrive today and the dies and brass on Sat so I should be shooting on Sunday maybe. :roll: :grin:

That looks great Rodger. Love my M70 push feed, real smooth action. You and I have similar work benches. Let us know how it shoots. BN

Back