Glen Zediker "Top-Grade Ammo"

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Gents,

Ultimate question: Do you like Custom Competitions or RDFs?

I've read about half of Glen Zediker's Top-Grade Ammo now. I've been reloading for several years, read several books/reloading manuals/etc. on the topic. If I could suggest a couple very useful it would be the Berger manual and the Nosler manual. Of course always more to learn and Zediker has some interesting points.

Zediker has helped me identify a couple ways I lack discipline.

First, make detailed notes! I have been moving regularly and stuff gets packed up/lost/who knows what. I need to make/keep detailed notes.

Second, any time I change powders or bullets types I need to re-clean my barrel before shooting again. I hate cleaning my barrels (and coat them with Dyna Bore Coat so I don't have to very often!). But I was switching powders/bullets/etc without cleaning. His claim is changing powder or jacket type (i.e. different bullet makers) adjusts the impact point until the barrel adjusts. I have a 30-06 that shoots absolutely lights out with 155 Custom Competitions and 165 Accubonds, and rarely has another type of bullet, so could be a great point.

Not sure how much difference it would make, but here's my question:

To standardize to one bullet maker, Nosler (for me) is a good choice. I use Partitions and Accubonds commonly for hunting, and their match bullets are just as good as any others.

If I intended to standardize this rifle for Noslers, would you use Custom Competitions or RDFs for the majority of the shooting? I know Shooters Pro Shop has inexpensive Accubonds and Partitions too.

Thanks gents!
v/r
Joel

believe half of what you read and half of what you hear.

As far as what bullet to use..... use whatever shoot well in your rifle

You already know my reply, I quit using match bullets on Coyotes because they ran off and I could not find them. I have not had that problem with SP bullets. :wink: :wink:

Zediker has been a BIG name in match shooting for a couple of decades. Huge amount of knowledge, and great skill.

I tend to stick to Noslers for my hunting rifles. I've tried other bullets, and haven't ruled 'em out, but I tend to stick to Noslers. For over 40 years now.

I also tend to stick to one load per rifle. Not entirely, but mostly. So my 30-06 rarely sees anything but Nosler 165 gr Ballistic Tips. This year I think I'm going back to the 165 Nosler Partition. Maybe. But usually just stick with one bullet.

For my 308, it's been tough. That rifle made it's mark with 168's from Nosler and Sierra. Later I found that 155's shot very well too. As did 165-168 gr hunting bullets... Hmmm. Then I took it rockchuck shooting with 110 gr hollow points. That worked too. And the 125 gr Ballistic Tips shot wonderfully... Dang. Sometimes I think 308's are magic.

But mostly I stick to one bullet per rifle. Not always, but mostly. Keeps life simple.

Regards, Guy

If you notice Guy starts each of his paragraphs with I, My, or new sentence with that rifle, and ends it with keeps life simple.

If you have 5 daughters not all of them like lima beans.

Guy the 308 is magic. I have had several over the years but the 130gr Sierra HP and the 150gr BT were about all I fed them, all I really needed to as coyotes and deer were what I chased most with them. never had a need for the heavier 30 cal bullets. I played with 180grers some and the 220 RN too just had no need to load heavier than 150 and personally that is where it shines most for me.

My uncle was the kind of guy who was satisfied to just have the right "cartridge" in his rifle, let alone kept up with bullets,etc. ha. since we mainly hunted deer in the thickets, he always got away with it, until I pointed something out to him. One afternoon, we went to the lease, and almost dark, I heard him shoot. I made my way over to him and he had a big doe down (yeah, it was poached) he had shot her about 30 steps down a trail, in the neck. His 30-06 had made a saucer shaped, 1/2 deep wound! It had blown up. East Tx deer are small so the shock killed her. I asked him what ammo he was using and he said, "I don't know", showed me a handful of some reloaded match ammo! I knew the guy who gave it to him, that it was not a hot load, but the guy was convinced of the lethality of Match bullets. I asked my uncle what he thought would have happened had ol "Porkie the Crazy Boar Hog" came at him? ha He finally settled down later on, shot only 150 Federal Red Box stuff. Oh yeah, his Mod 742 was jammed, ha. I wouldn't mind shooting jihadis or Commies with Match bullets, but nothing else. My uncle was a real character, gone now, but never forgotten.

Back