Glock 20 Gen 5 MOS

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
As much as I dislike Glocks I went ahead and went over to the dark side.

10mm with a red dot optic loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo for grizzly protection if I’m caught with my pants down so to speak. As much as I like my .41 Magnum there’s something to be said for having 15 + 1 in your hand.

Should be here next week.

Vince

The kenai chest holster from gunfighters inc is the best kydex holster I have used for one. If you like leather the guide from dimond d leather is very nice. The red dot will collect dust so be sure to keep it under a jacket if your riding an Atv or a horse.

I have two of the Glock 20s and have had a couple others along with the Glock 40. The 10mm stoked with 200-220gr cast or Monometal bullets is a very formidable choice. I have seen the 200gr TMJ go completely thru a 6’ black bear from neck to rump.

I currently have an older Glock 20 and a lone wolf Timberwolf large frame with a Glock 20 slide and 6” alpha wolf barrel. I plan to pick up the lone wolf g40 length slide for this one at some point.

I think you will be well served by your Glock 20

Last edited:
I have both of the holsters, Guide model from Diamond D and the Kenai. Actually have four different Kenai chest holsters. As far as I know Diamond D developed the idea over 20 years ago. My holster is about that old, carried it every day of my 20 year guiding career up there. It has been thoroughly abused but still holds the pistol securely. Very high quality leather product. There were many days I had to hang the holster along side my waders to dry but the holster was never damaged by getting wet.

Attachments

• D1A24394-02AE-47A1-BAAB-E270B2CD6F64.jpeg
    D1A24394-02AE-47A1-BAAB-E270B2CD6F64.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2EFB2467-DE4D-4862-983F-56F7BB8E1B7A.jpeg
    2EFB2467-DE4D-4862-983F-56F7BB8E1B7A.jpeg
    609.7 KB · Views: 20
I got the Diamond D holster for my S&W Model 58 and I love it. It’s my favorite way to carry the Model 58.

Decided to go with a Diamond Outdoor holster for the Glock. It accommodates the red dot I have and it’s nylon which I think will fare well in Alaska.

I kept looking at the 10mm and saying, “Six or fifteen plus one.” As much as I love the .41 Magnum cartridge for a handgun there is something to be said for having so many rounds in the Glock. I do a pretty fast reload with a speed loader when I’m shooting a revolver, but even so, the bottom feeder reloads are faster.

I’ll still pack the Beretta 92G in town…….maybe.

Vince

We used to do a “charging bear drill”. We had a remote control car with a wire tripod on it that we would hang a balloon on about 3.5’ off the ground. Turn your back to it, run the car out about 20-25 yards and then turn, draw, and fire as the car raced towards you. It was a lot of fun and very humbling.

I’ll tell you my odds of hitting that balloon with the 10mm are MUCH better than hitting it with a 44mag, and my odds of hitting with the 44 mag MUCH better than a 454, and hitting with the 454 was much better than 500 smith. I’m also likely to get several reasonably aimed shots with the 10mm .

It doesn’t hurt that there are a lot of really good ammo options for the 10mm now too. 165gr gold dot makes a devastating personal defense load.

Ordered a set of Xpress Big Dot sights for the Glock.

I always liked the .41 Magnum as I found myself more accurate with it over the .44 Magnum. I’m still wanting a Colt Python BBQ gun though. Something like an engraved 6” from Altamont.

I’ve located some Federal HST loads, 180 grain, for the 10mm. That should be a good defense load for the bipedal aggressors.

Vince

I have the 4" m&p 10mm along with g20 and g40. The recoil on the m&p is a bit more than the g20 is, but then again the Glock's are more easily customizable/upgradable. I added a 6.61" threaded barrel on the g40 with a comp and the g20 has a 4 port 5.31" (or close to it) barrel.

We used a 55 gallon drum with an old basket ball screwed to the front of the drum. Mounted the whole thing on 4 bike tires and pulled it with 20 yards of rope. Took two “safety officers “ You couldnt raise the gun until after the tow vehicle got past and of course you couldn’t turn and shoot at the bear after it went by. Most only got one hit on the drum with a pistol, occasionally two. The bushmaster slung only one shot but usually good hits. The bushmaster deployed on the sling normally two hits. 45/70 one hit. 870 two hits.
The “bear“ at 15 mph, (about 1/2 as fast as a grizz can run) covers twenty yards pretty quick.
Humbling to say the least.
I do think that without the safety factor, we were anticipating the shooter starting to turn, more shots would have connected. Also, those with good survival instincts or prior training who move off line” would get more hits/ shots. That added a safety factor as well For our training scenario. Getting good hits is what counts but taking too much time and you loose.

Last edited:
We used a 55 gallon drum with an old basket ball screwed to the front of the drum. Mounted the whole thing on 4 bike tires and pulled it with 20 yards of rope. Took two “safety officers “ You couldnt raise the gun until after the tow vehicle got past and of course you couldn’t turn and shoot at the bear after it went by. Most only got one hit on the drum with a pistol, occasionally two. The bushmaster slung only one shot but usually good hits. The bushmaster deployed on the sling normally two hits. 45/70 one hit. 870 two hits.
The “bear“ at 15 mph, (about 1/2 as fast as a grizz can run) covers twenty yards pretty quick.
Humbling to say the least.
I do think that without the safety factor, we were anticipating the shooter starting to turn, more shots would have connected. Also, those with good survival instincts or prior training who move off line” would get more hits/ shots. That added a safety factor as well For our training scenario. Getting good hits is what counts but taking too much time and you loose.
Try taking a knee, surprisingly it invcreases hit rates quite a bit as it takes you down to the same plane as the target avd steadies your aim. Got that tip from a book on African hunting where the guy recommended taking a knee when shooting charging lions.

Try taking a knee, surprisingly it invcreases hit rates quite a bit as it takes you down to the same plane as the target avd steadies your aim. Got that tip from a book on African hunting where the guy recommended taking a knee when shooting charging lions.
Actually had a South African ph show us that when he visited. Works for sure.

I have a couple boxes of this and in my G40 with optics sighted in with 200gn bullets. This ammo shot low and left. Much easier to handle also (recoil). have not done any penetration test or on game performance. It does look interesting though.

I got the lone wolf long slide for the Timberwolf lower. The extra weight of the long slide really dampens recoil and the grip angle of the Timberwolf frame points better for me. Below is a Glock 20 and the lone wolf Timberwolf 6”. Also the gunfighters inc kenai chest holster.

Attachments

• 2E0DC58F-E10B-44F7-9A27-777CE9064BD1.jpeg
    2E0DC58F-E10B-44F7-9A27-777CE9064BD1.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 5
  • D043E554-7BE4-4A33-9900-FC6FA8FF0DE4.jpeg
    D043E554-7BE4-4A33-9900-FC6FA8FF0DE4.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 5
Back