Gobblers not Gobblin’

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
Well I’d say I got skunked this opening weekend but it still wasn’t bad. Saw 11 deer and a Bald Eagle this morning. I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest. It was cold and overcast here in Ohio so the birds were silent. Not so much as a peep. Tracks and scratching was everywhere. Tried to roost them at dusk……..nothing. Tried smooth calls, raspy calls, loud, soft, purring, cutting……still nothing. Maybe I sounded like a really ugly hen with a lisp and they weren’t that hard up…….LOL

Been there and done that. :( Better luck on your next outing.

Our season doesn't start until May 1st. We have seen some nice toms around this winter and are hoping they haven't gone too far.

I have the second season hear in Wisconsin that starts later this week. By now we've already had the special Learn-To-Hunt, Youth Season, and are in the first regular season so the birds have already heard a lot of calling. My hope is to find a small pocket that hasn't been hunted yet. I was doing some scouting on Saturday and found a dead Fisher. It must have been killed in one of our Spring storms.

I ran into hunters at every turn on Saturday, and only one hen. It will probably be better odds on a weekday.
Very little gobbling as well.

They've gone quiet here too. They'll gobble a little at sunup then nothing. But they're still moving, I had one sneak in one me and never made a peep. But today there's one close to the house and he hasn't shut up since he started this morning.

being quiet takes the fun out of it for me . I enjoy the show . the gobbling , strutting , wing dragging , is what makes it fun to me . when they go quiet , I loose interest . I have more fun watching the show at an out of range distance , than killing a quiet one . some of my most enjoyable days , I would work a couple different birds , and never get them in range .

It was overcast and 28-28 degrees Saturday and Sunday here. I’ll give it another shot when the weekend comes back around. Deer were sure out and about though. The does will be dropping fawns any day now by how they looked. Time for chasin’ pasture poodles too. A fawn distress bleat usually brings them in this time of year.

I’ve had them really cut loose on cold sunny mornings too, so there might not be much to it. However I will say that if I recall correctly, when birds are quiet it’s usually cold and cloudy. May be a bunch of hooey, only the turkeys know for sure. They are smart birds and can learn.

The turkeys in the yard were making a racket Sunday. Not so much on Saturday. I also think they are moving up in elevation. I'm on a canyon edge at 2600' . Up till last week it be unusual to not see 50 -100 turkeys driving up or down the canyon. Last couple days not so much.

it seems like thunder storms get them talking . if it thunderstorms through the night , it seems the next day has a lot of gobbling . if there are thunderstorms during the day , it seems as soon as they let up the turkey are very vocal . I've been out a couple days that thunderstorms kept coming through , they were fun days .

it seems like thunder storms get them talking . if it thunderstorms through the night , it seems the next day has a lot of gobbling . if there are thunderstorms during the day , it seems as soon as they let up the turkey are very vocal . I've been out a couple days that thunderstorms kept coming through , they were fun days .
That's good to know. I'm going to pay attention to that around here.

My season ended here in Wisconsin yesterday with the turkeys getting another win. Before season they where in my yard and could hear them gobbling in the morning when I stepped out on the front porch. During season I had difficulty locating a tom and when I did, they were not responsive. Most mornings they were done talking before 6:00AM. I'm guessing now that my season is over they will be back soon just to taunt me for another year.

My season ended here in Wisconsin yesterday with the turkeys getting another win. Before season they where in my yard and could hear them gobbling in the morning when I stepped out on the front porch. During season I had difficulty locating a tom and when I did, they were not responsive. Most mornings they were done talking before 6:00AM. I'm guessing now that my season is over they will be back soon just to taunt me for another year.
They do have a way of “rubbing it in”

Attachments

• IMG_1636.jpeg
    IMG_1636.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 8
Back