Got an email from Brownell's.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
About a sale they got going on. While I was looking it over I looked at some other things. Bout fell over. $59 for a lb of IMR 4350. $60 for a lb of Varget. Stating the obvious here, but things are out of hand.

It's called price gouging

JD338

It could be, but if you noticed powder has all of a sudden taken a big jump across the board. The LGS I typically deal with on powder and that has had powder way back when others did not, has always stayed more than fair on their pricing. I was in there last week and an 8 lb jug of IMR 4350 is now $345. They had a 8 lb jub of RL-16 and it was $371.

Bout 2 yrs ago I bought a 8 lb jug of IMR 4350 from them and it was $179. That's a 93% jump from the last jug I bought. I could be off somewhat on the time frame, could've been more like 2.5 yrs ago, but I'm not off on the price.

Midway is showing a lb of IMR 4350 at $54 and it's out of stock. When it comes back in it will be higher.

Inflation is the cruelest tax there is. Period. The poorer people are the more it affects them. Most taxes and the amounts of tax that would be owed are on certain things and can be avoided if a person doesn't have the money. Inflation shows no mercy regardless of income, or lack thereof. I've numerous times in the last yr pulled up to a gas pump and the last person that got gas had gotten $8, $10, etc. At times that equated to just 2 gallon. If I catch somebody fueling up with that little, I will fill their tank for them. Their grocery bill is way up, their electric bill is way up, their heating bill is way up, they're out of money.

Our state electric company had 3 rate increases in a little over a yr starting in 2021. The total was right at 94% increase from the base rate in 2021. Their last increase was Dec 2022 and they say that rate is good thru May 2023. No guarantee's it wont go up again. HMMM.......what suddenly changed starting in 2021??????

Found IMR 4350 and Varget for 52.99 at my local store the other day. I hate these prices as well but my question is, what's a person to do if you need those particular powders. You either pony up and buy it or do without.

Inflation is the cruelest tax there is.
It is that! And it is going to increase. Fuel prices are going up again. Everything that comes and goes at
Brownells and any other business gets there by truck at some point. Add that factor to printing more money and you have the perfect storm for inflation.

If I am going to be gouged, I’d rather be by my neighborhood LGS, not that I am saying he is gouging me. But I’d rather the money stay local
My neighborhood LGS sells all of his components to the highest (on-line) bidder. Nothing stays in the store for his regular customers.

It is easy to see why when one company now controls Hodgdon®, IMR®, Winchester®, Ramshot®, Accurate®, Pyrodex®, Triple Seven®, Blackhorn 209® and GOEX® brands. If we're going to complain about price and availability look at Hodgdon.

I would be completely on board with you on this if Hodgdon was a stand alone industry showing way above normal price increases indicating gouging from market control and no other choices to the consumer.

But why has eggs increased 181% national average since 2020? Why has my state electric rate increased 94% since 2020? Why is gas here still $3.85 when it was $2.15 when Trump left office? Why are those 1/2" shark bite fittings at Lowe's $8.68 a piece when they used to be between $3-$4 a piece? Why was coal commodity spot price $65 per ton when Trump left office and now it is $135 a ton. I could keep listing stuff for the next 10 minutes.

Were Hodgdon able to avoid the cancerous affects of inflation that it is across the board to everyone else, it would be the magic trick of the decade. You need look no farther than the current administration. It is 98% their fault. As long as liberals are setting the tone of how things are run, the beatings will continue for all of us on nearly all things, conservative and liberals alike.

Normally I have noticed that when Hodgdon has powder for sale on their site it is usually higher than say Powder Valley. So, what gives with that? They say that they sell a certain amount and when it's gone it's gone. The rest goes to the distributers. I don't know. Dan.

Normally I have noticed that when Hodgdon has powder for sale on their site it is usually higher than say Powder Valley. So, what gives with that? They say that they sell a certain amount and when it's gone it's gone. The rest goes to the distributers. I don't know. Dan.
That is typical market practice in general. I Manufacturer/Major importer should never undersell its retailers. Otherwise it would be hard to have retailers.

That is typical market practice in general. I Manufacturer/Major importer should never undersell its retailers. Otherwise it would be hard to have retailers.

Yep, was gonna say the same thing and you beat me to it. About anywhere you can buy directly from the manufacture, they are higher than what can be paid elsewhere. They're not going to mess up their large wholesale orders by undercutting those retailers selling their own product cheaper than what retailers list it for.

Printing more money that makes the dollar worth less is stupid in all rights! If there is no more physical monetary form then what would be the next excuse! OH hey! Lets print more e-money, right!

Back