Grizzly, rifle or handgun, 5 seconds to choose!

GSSP

Beginner
Aug 11, 2005
I want to run a scenario past you.

You're in Alaska on a guided hunt. You have a Grizzly tag in your pocket and it is the intneded game. The weather is pleasant, mild breeze from in your face. Your relaxed, sitting next to your guide who has his 40+ caliber bear medicine with open sights. Your both chatting quietly, glassing for bear. Sitting in your lap is your favorite bear rifle. It's sighted in perfectly with a good strong load for Grizzly.

Mine is my CZ550 American 9.3x62 pushing a Nosler 286 gr Partition to 2490 fps from the 22.5" barrel. Also, in my Mernickle Field Carry 1 holster is my ss 4-5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt loaded with 335 gr Cast Performance WFNGC cast bullets running 1100 fps. Sight in is a 2" MPR; 78 yd zero, 2" high @ 43 yds, 2" low @ 92 yds.

A bear, unexpectantly steps out from some bushes directly to your 10 or 2 o'clock position about 100 yds distance. I'm not talking about Brown bear, but tundra Grizzly where they get upto 9', about 600 lbs. His intneded path will bring him directly in front of you anywhere from 25 to 92 yds, broadside, undisturbed, looking downhill, away from you. In other words conditions are "perfect".

Do you

A) Pick up the rifle and shoot?

B) Pulll the 45 Long Colt and shoot?

This is the exact scenario I hope I face this Septembr above Nome.

He's undisturbed and unaware looking away. I would pick up the rifle and put one in his spine where his vitals are on the other side and hope it breaks his back on the first shot. (knowing in the worst case its' going to hit lungs or heart). I would rack the bolt fast for more follow ups just in case. If I didn't care to mount the head I'd put one in his skull first shot, but I would want a mount.

If his rear end and head was all I could see, I would get on him in the scope and wait for him to turn...again, I've got the drop on him and at 100 yds if all he gave me was a neck, well so be it.

Why did you set down your rifle to begin with?

I'm hunting, glassing for bear, that means my rifle is on me. I shoot him twice with the 9.3x62mm, and fill out my tag.

If I did set down my rifle, I zip-up, and grab my rifle, and shoot him twice.....The purpose of a pistol, is to give you enough time to get to your rifle.

Ok! Ok! The rifle is sitting in your lap! Goodness gracious!

Are you the paranoid type Antelope Sniper? :roll:

I wouldn't choose either one. I'd hold my Rambo knife in my teeth, sneak down to the griz and then spring on him and cut his throat.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah my jewels are no where that large. I say go for the rifle.

I would use the rifle. I have a 45/8 Balckhawk in .45Colt that does a great job with 335grs at 1126fps but......... It is no match for a rifle. Thats why I built this. 7 420grs at 1740fps in less than 5 seconds into a 3.5" group at 25 yards. 3 shots aimed at 100 yards under an inch. Think of it as a big handgun. :lol: reflex264

brockman450.jpg

JD338":1ibqkxwy said:
Nice looking big bore thumper reflex264.

JD338

Lots of fun too. Goes good with my pistols. They haven't got jeaous yet. :lol: reflex264

Personally that colt would come out and roar to life, and wouldn't quit firing until the gun is empty. No sense trying to kill with one shot and risk pissing it of! :)

The Grizzly didn't want to play.

The bull moose did @ 15 yds.

AlanGriffithmoose20084-1.jpg

Yes! 45 LC, 335 gr Cast Performance hard cast WFNGC, Starline brass, WLP, 20 gr Hodgdon Lil'Gun going 1150 fps.

Alan

RugerBullrightpalmwRuger.jpg

[/img]
RugerBullcloseup.jpg

Back