Hammer Bullets

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
So all the information you read about Hammer bullets, says that faster burning powders for any given cartridge perform best, but when you peruse through the all the pet loads folks have posted, more often than not, the slower powders seem to be where they land. I guess I'm questioning when people say "faster powder" are they actually referring to velocity produced rather than where they fall on a burn rate chart? I've seen answers both ways. Anyone have experience with them that can provide some insight?

From my understanding and experience shooting Hammers in 3 rifles, the Absolute Hammers preform better with faster burning powders. Mainly because they produce less pressure so you can put more powder in the case. I'm shooting 140gr Absolute Hammers in my 280 Rem, I started with RL26 but could get enough in the case, then tried StaBall and I got pressure signs, heavy bolt lift and extractor marks at just above starting loads, not sure why. Last I tried IMR4350 and got good speed, above 3200 fps and excellent accuracy.

With Hammer Hunters in my 22.250 and 243 I didn't notice a difference from other bullets.

From my understanding and experience shooting Hammers in 3 rifles, the Absolute Hammers preform better with faster burning powders. Mainly because they produce less pressure so you can put more powder in the case. I'm shooting 140gr Absolute Hammers in my 280 Rem, I started with RL26 but could get enough in the case, then tried StaBall and I got pressure signs, heavy bolt lift and extractor marks at just above starting loads, not sure why. Last I tried IMR4350 and got good speed, above 3200 fps and excellent accuracy.

With Hammer Hunters in my 22.250 and 243 I didn't notice a difference from other bullets.
Did you find that they tend to run over max load for similar weight lead bullets. They say because of the radius-shape of the bands they generate less pressure and tend to run over book max

Did you find that they tend to run over max load for similar weight lead bullets. They say because of the radius-shape of the bands they generate less pressure and tend to run over book max
With the Hammer Hunters I used StaBall in both rifles and would have to agree with Dr Vette, both were about at Hodgdon's max with a little more velocity. But with the Absolute Hammers in the 280 with IMR4350 I'm considerably higher than Nosler data but just a little above Speer data.

Ok. Thanks guys, That’s cleared up nicely now. I have the Hammer Hunters, not the absolute hammers. So I’m going to stick with what the books say. These are the 143’s for a 280 ackley.

Ok. Thanks guys, That’s cleared up nicely now. I have the Hammer Hunters, not the absolute hammers. So I’m going to stick with what the books say. These are the 143’s for a 280 ackley.
I have a case of those 143s for my 280AI and they're great. H4831 with them is never a mistake.

The info about the faster burning powder is about the absolutes.

I have a case of those 143s for my 280AI and they're great. H4831 with them is never a mistake.

The info about the faster burning powder is about the absolutes.
Good to hear, I have good stashes of H4831sc and IMR 4831..Everything I read agrees with you about H4831

So all the information you read about Hammer bullets, says that faster burning powders for any given cartridge perform best, but when you peruse through the all the pet loads folks have posted, more often than not, the slower powders seem to be where they land. I guess I'm questioning when people say "faster powder" are they actually referring to velocity produced rather than where they fall on a burn rate chart?
I really would like to try their 90gr Absolute Hammers in my 257 Wby. Again like you I’m not sure how to chose the right powder.
Awhile back Fotis posted his results with them with RL-26 which isn’t all that fast powder for this cartridge.
On their web page for them they mention up to 3900fps in the 257 Wby. That would be a death laser for sure.

I really would like to try their 90gr Absolute Hammers in my 257 Wby. Again like you I’m not sure how to chose the right powder.
Awhile back Fotis posted his results with them with RL-26 which isn’t all that fast powder for this cartridge.
On their web page for them they mention up to 3900fps in the 257 Wby. That would be a death laser for sure.
They do put up some awfully fast speeds with the absolute hammers in all the cartridges. There’s tons of data over on their “hammer time” forum

You could use a slower powder, but many times you would run out of case capacity before you reach max. Those in your 257 would be a laser! I've thought about trying them in my 25.06. Call or email Steve at Hammer bullets, he helped me when I was starting with my 280.

Varget with the 166 grain Hammer Hunters in my 308 Win (Bergara B-14 Ridge) had crazy small shot groups My loads were one grain apart and no noticeable dining accuracy so I went with the faster one. These were with the muzzle break. Loads without the brake we’re not as good, so I will keep using the brake. I wear triple flange ear plugs when shooting so the noise is t a huge factor.

So all the information you read about Hammer bullets, says that faster burning powders for any given cartridge perform best, but when you peruse through the all the pet loads folks have posted, more often than not, the slower powders seem to be where they land. I guess I'm questioning when people say "faster powder" are they actually referring to velocity produced rather than where they fall on a burn rate chart? I've seen answers both ways. Anyone have experience with them that can provide some insight?
Only for the Absolute hammers! They have a very short engraving surface and keep pressures low.

I load the 162 gr Absolute Hammer in my 30-06 using 54.5 gr of Varget. I get 3050 fps and under 3/4" at 100 yads.

I have only tried the hammer hunters and used barnes ttsx load data and got similar velocities. Not tried the AH so no comment there

Lou

Back