Heavier 7mm bullet options

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
I have the 7mm bug and am dreaming of some sort of faster twist rifle in something like - 7 SAUM, 7PRC, even 7 rem mag. I saw the opposite question recently - lighter bullets in a 7PRC. But I'm wondering what opinions are on the best heavier .284 bullet would be, for elk sized game, etc. There's the 175 ELDX and I like the looks of the 168 LRX. But what about the 175gr Partition? BC is not outstanding but looks like a killer elk bullet. Any opinions?

The 175gr Partition is a great bullet. 177gr Hammer Hunters are a force to be reckoned with as well... BC's at .313 G7. Works with 1:8 twist

Aaron Davidson has done a few podcasts recently on this. His take on Bergers is that the 195 is too heavy, and the 168 is about perfect for the 7mm cartridge.
Here's one to listen to:

The 175 should work well in the ELD-x, but the 175 Partition is a "short fat" bullet which only needs a 1:10 twist and has a poor BC.
The reason for a 1:8 is to shoot long bullets for longer range. If you're staying under 400 yards, there isn't much of a point...?

I recall reading an article many years ago about 7mm's and that the optimum bullet weight for the caliber was 162-165 grains. Sorry, do not recall the author or the magazine the article was written in.
I was doing research on handloading for the 280 Remington that I had just gotten in the late 80's and was first learning about handloading. While this predates the current trend in long range shooting and loading heavy for caliber, high BC bullets, requiring faster twist barrels to stabilize these long, sleek bullets, it did provide for some interesting reading and learning back in the day.

In practice, these weights of bullets worked very well in my 280 Remington of the day (Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker), as they have in my 7mm Rem Mag (Rem 700 LSS) and 7MM STW (Custom LH Sako AV) for accuracy, even out to 500 yards, and on-game performance. I have harvested 36 big game animals over the years with these rifles/cartridges/bullet combinations, from antelope, whitetail, mule deer, moose, elk, caribou, mountain sheep and goat, from 15 to 475 yards.
With my first 280, I stuck with loading the 162 gr Hornady as it would put 5 rounds into an inch at 100 yards, using the max load of IMR 4350 from the old Hornady manual I had at the time. (With my current 280 Rem, I am planning on sticking to the 150 gr bullets (BT and AB), leaving the lighter 140's for my 7mm-08, and the heavier 160's in the 7MM STW). The factory 7mm Rem Mag Federal Premium 165 gr SGK ammunition would put 3 rounds into less than 1/2" at 100 yards out the Rem 700 LSS right out of the box. I foolishly sold the rifle in order to get a LH version of the same rifle when they introduced it a couple of years later, only to be unable to acquire one (ended up with one in 270 Win instead). The 7MM STW shoots the Federal Premium 160 gr SGK and 160 gr AB ammunition very well. The 160 gr SGK will put 3 into 3" groups at 400 yards consistently, when I am doing my part, and the 160 gr AB will put 3 into 1" @ 300 yards! Hard to improve on those, so I haven't tried as yet. (And I have a good supply of both on hand that should last for awhile yet!)
The 168 gr LRAB has intrigued me and I have some on hand should I ever get around to handloading for my STW. The 165 gr SGC is another that I am wanting to try here.
I have had such good performance from these bullets weights, for both accuracy and on-game performance, that I haven't ever tried the 175 gr bullets in the 7mm's.

I would think that the 175 ELD-X should be a good bullet to try...and if I were tempted to step into a 7 PRC, it would likely be the first ammo I try to test accuracy potential before buying the bullets for handloading for a tailored load in a new rifle. The write ups on it are showing promise!

And there is no doubt that the 175 gr Partition is a dandy bullet for large game; it has being working well for decades! While not as sleek and sexy as the newer offerings, if you are keeping shot distances to less than 500 yards, where most animals are taken, you should will get great performance!

Nosler's good old 175 grain Partition has a G1 BC of .519 and can be quite accurate.

A younger version of me used one to drop a pretty good bull. One shot, about 180 yards, bullet exited. Bull took a few faltering steps and dropped dead. First elk I ever shot! :)

R2pWAiGh.jpg

Rifle was a simple 7mm Remington Magnum 700 ADL, synthetic stock, 3-9x Leupold. :) Worked great.

Regards, Guy

Bob - there are some great 160+ grain 7mm hunting bullets available. It's funny, years ago that .519 BC of the Partition was considered high. Now it's not low, but... Falls well short of the real long, sleek bullets available. And yes, it works fine from a standard twist 7mm Rem Mag.

I have been loading and shooting the 7 PRC a fair bit lately, and with that 1:8 twist barrel it seems to really like the longer bullets. So far I've only shot Sierra & Hornady bullets from it. Excellent accuracy potential, and 2900 - 3000+ fps isn't hard to reach. The case capacity of the new 7 PRC and the old 7mm Rem Mag are pretty close. If you really want the new, longer bullets, the PRC makes an awful lot of sense.

More are being introduced too.... Stand by! :)

Regards, Guy

The 175 Berger Elite Hunters are at 100% one shot kills on whitetail for me out to 350 yards.
Out of a 28 Nosler at 3200 mv.

There are some dynamite 175-180 class bullets for a 7 Magnum. I am using the 175 ABLR at 3090 in my Mashburn, but the 180 Scenar, 175 ELD and 180 Berger shoot excellent as well and will all work well on elk in my opinion. I love the bigger 7's myself, that new 7 PRC should be a great one, a 7 Rem Mag set up with a 1-8 twist barrel and a 3.6" magazine box is also really tough to beat.

I've used the 175 Partition a bit on elk and for shooting out to 600 and it's been pretty good. Sierra has a sleeper with their 175 SBT... That bullet usually shoots amazing in the standard Rem Mag twisted gun's and has worked real well in my testing.

Good luck with whatever you choose. You cannot beat a big 7. Ask Warren Page how well the 175's worked from a big 7. Pretty sure that fella took more game with Ol Betsy than quite alot of us have, in our lifetimes, combined!

I shoot 180gr eld-m bullets in my 7 rem mag. Absolutely love that combo! I've wondered about trying some other bullets though, 183gr Sierra matchking mostly.

Back