Hi-Standard Sport King .22

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
20 years ago I had a Hi-Standard Sport King .22 pistol with the 6.75” barrel. Damn it was a shooter! I got broke and sold it for way too cheap.

Earlier this week I found one in great shape and for a reasonable price on Gunbroker and have bid! It has a 4.75” barrel instead of the longer barrel. Hoping to resolve that moment of shitheaditis with the win!

Anyone else a fan of these .22 pistols?

Had what I believe was a High Standard "Sport King" rifle (auto) years ago. By far the nicest wood on a 22 I ever owned. Sold it to make a payment on the wifes engagement ring. Got married opening weekend of duck season- must have been love. I like telling that story.... She's still around, rifles come and go... As I recall the rifle looked and felt a whole lot better than the Glenfield I had at the time. Those High Standards are well thought of. Enjoy! CL

I'd be careful shooting high velocity ammo through your new pistol . high velocity is known to crack the frame on certain High Standards . I'm not sure what models have the problem , but I know the victor is one that does . I was told to keep a good recoil spring in it , and not shoot high velocity ammo . you can probably google up some info on this if you're interested .

glad you're happy with it . these ole girls just shoot and shoot .

I'd be careful shooting high velocity ammo through your new pistol . high velocity is known to crack the frame on certain High Standards . I'm not sure what models have the problem , but I know the victor is one that does . I was told to keep a good recoil spring in it , and not shoot high velocity ammo . you can probably google up some info on this if you're interested .

glad you're happy with it . these ole girls just shoot and shoot .
I had never heard of such a thing. My old Sport King that I spoke of, has only ever gotten hi-vel, including some of the CCI Stingers at one point.

Will look into it! Thank you!

According to my research, this gun was made early in 1952 in New Haven.

While its apparently a general rule of thumb to use only standard-vel in all Hi Standard pistols, it’s generally thought that the early models are most prone to cracking. The later models (post-1950) are strong enough to handle hi-vel but not Hyper velocity loads (stingers, yellowjackets etc.).

Thoughts?

boy o boy Buddy , I don't know what to say . I was warned by a couple of guys , about using high ,or maybe it was hyper , velocity ammo in mine . so I've only ever shot std velocity . I just wanted to pass that info along to you . I probably would not have thought about it, but when I saw your pic with the ammo box it set off a red flag to me .

boy o boy Buddy , I don't know what to say . I was warned by a couple of guys , about using high ,or maybe it was hyper , velocity ammo in mine . so I've only ever shot std velocity . I just wanted to pass that info along to you . I probably would not have thought about it, but when I saw your pic with the ammo box it set off a red flag to me .
I appreciate the warning, if what you’re saying is true, I will certainly make the switch. I don’t want to do anything to hurt the old piece. Love it too much already.

I will keep up my research, and post anything else significant that I find.

boy o boy Buddy , I don't know what to say . I was warned by a couple of guys , about using high ,or maybe it was hyper , velocity ammo in mine . so I've only ever shot std velocity .
I went out and tried some standard velocity tonight, not one in ten would cycle the action.

So it looks like I’m going to have to roll the dice and use high velocity. 🤷‍♂️

Back