hodgdon superformance powder and 30-06

tkeveney

Beginner
Dec 22, 2008
Hodgdon's data sheets on their web site are now listing load data for the 30-06 and superformance powder.

Anybody try this yet?

I'd be interested in trying it with my favorite - 168 gr. balistic tip. (one hellova good bullet, by the way.)

Have not seen it, but heck, I can't see why it wouldn't work. What kind of speeds are they advertising? Scotty

Off topic I know, but just FYI I've had GREAT performance from Ramshot Hunter w/ the 168 NBT which, I agree, is a fantastic bullet...

beretzs":3keaewo3 said:
Have not seen it, but heck, I can't see why it wouldn't work. What kind of speeds are they advertising? Scotty

Pretty interesting get pretty close to the real world velocities I got when I had a 300 WSM, less than 100 fps anyway.

From Hodgdon's site
Max loads Superformance

150 gr Nosler BT 65 gr 3072 fps
155 gr Sierra HPBT 62.5 gr 3125 fps
165 gr Sierra SPBT 61 gr 2972 fps
175 gr Sierra HPBT 58.7 gr 2881 fps
180 gr Sierra SPBT 59.7gr 2840 fps

Please double check the loads yourself at Hodgdons site in case I made a mistake here.

That 180 at 2840 looks pretty interesting. Talk about bringing the mighty 30-06 into the 21st century in style. Scotty

I just loaded 3 rounds using Superformance powder and 168 grain Ballistic Tips...planning on shooting them over the chrono tomorrow.

I am curious about the velocity and grouping of this powder for the .30-06 (165, 180 grain)?

beretzs":imzv6r2b said:
That 180 at 2840 looks pretty interesting. Talk about bringing the mighty 30-06 into the 21st century in style. Scotty

Indeed,, and it looks like @ 59.7, 2840, 57,600 PSI , to be lawyered down somewhat, as usual for the 06. Might have to give it a try in the 9.3x74R too, as I been using H4831 in it. And as far as that goes, it might do well my 6.5x57AI as well.
I wonder how it handles temp. fluctuations,,,guess I need to find out.

I chrono'd the rounds today, they didn't do so well...Supeformance doesn't like 168 Ballistic Tips.

The load:
168 Ballistic Tip
Win brass
CCI BR2 primer
58 grains of Superformance
OAL 3.34"

2,618 fps (24" barrel, Win model 70, 30-06)

The velocity was terribly low and the pressure was too high...it left ejector marks on the brass. It was also TERRIBLY dirty, left lots of crud in the barrel.

Another load I chrono'd today:
Same as above except the powder...57.5 grains of H4350 chrono'd 2,825 fps and the brass is fine.

I'll stick to the "old standby" powders.

"The velocity was terribly low and the pressure was too high...it left ejector marks on the brass. It was also TERRIBLY dirty, left lots of crud in the barrel.

Another load I chrono'd today:
Same as above except the powder...57.5 grains of H4350 chrono'd 2,825 fps and the brass is fine.

I'll stick to the "old standby" powders."

That is very interesting,,,,,I don't like the sound of the pressure or fouling!

For what it's worth as a comparison I'm shooting a 165 Ballistic Tip using 59.0 H4350 and a CCI 250 Mag primer in a Rem. 700 22" barrel getting 2840 fps.

If you really want some more speed for your 168 Ballistic Tip give Ramshot Hunter a try. The little I did mess around with it this past Fall I was getting 2900 fps. I will revisit this between now and end of the spring.

Don

2,800 fps is enough for me...I was just trying the Superformance to see what it was like (I'm also gonna try it with 175 VLD's in the '06 and 70 grain BlitzKings in the 243)

I tried 58 grains of H4350 today and I believe this load will suit me....2,850 fps, cloverleafs.

RR,
I'm with you on that. I would say H4350 is my powder for the 165 Ballistic Tip load I have. I'm good with 2800 plus too. I was impressed with Ramshot Hunter, burns fairly clean. During the off season I will give it another look for something to do. Going to give 165 Accubonds a try with both powders.

Don

I've found most all of the claims made by Hodgdon, Hornady, Ruger, Alliant, and the like to be complete bunk with regard to providing some magical velocity increase without a corresponding increase in pressure. I've said it enough times to make it annoying, but the laws of physics are not suspended for some blend of powders or some proprietary powder technology or some case design that's longer, shorter, thinner, fatter, belted or not belted. I've found velocity using certain powders in certain cartridges, but in every instance, it's been all about the perfect match of burn rate to bullet weight and to the case volume:bore diameter ratio. Other than that, there are things that can be done, such as coatings, that can slow the initial burn rate of powders, and that can help out, but in reality, you're not going to magically get 3100fps out of a 165gr in a 30-06, regardless of what powder you try. Maybe one day someone will figure that out, but for now, it's not happening. The flip side is, there are an awful lot of dismal data available right now - data that is, to quote Dr. Mike, "lawyered up" to the point that standard rounds have become anemic if you read the current data.

I've had no trouble whatsoever achieving 2850-2900fps out of a 30-06 with 168gr Ballistic Tips over H4350. I suspect I could push this load and rifle a little farther, but it offers no advantage for me, in that I am getting good velocity and .5moa groups out beyond 200yds, which is as far as I've tested it, so far.

There has been some controversy over Hodgdon velocity claims before. That is why I aked for some shooter data from people who had chronographed these loads themselves.

I'm with you buddy,
I'm not out to keep pushing the envelope with my 30-06. I found the sweet spot with the current 165 load I have. I bought Hunter Powder some time ago and just wanted to visit with it some. H4350 is amazing with the 30-06. I'm not on an adventure to create a magnum rifle out of my 30-06. I have a 300 Ultra Mag for that. :mrgreen:

Happy New Year,
Don

Happy New Year! I have been using IMR 4350 (57.5 grs) in the .30-06 for a very long time and it works great at 2860 fps. My only interest was in a legitimate powder load to change this figure, otherwise, I am perfectly happy with what I have.

I would also agree,,,,,with over the years of running various 06's with 180gr., my favorite weight in it at 2750, I really don't see the need for much more for my needs or wants. I guess if I did, I would have a .300 WinMag in my inventory. It's fun to tinker with new offerings from time to time, just to see however. But H4350 has been my go to powder in the .30-06 with both 165 and 180's, since I started loading for it in "76".

I've been using 58 gr of W 760 with the 168 bullets. This load registers 2850 fps on my chronograph. My barrel is 22" accuracy has been good.

I suppose, like most folks, I'd like to get something for nothing and turn an '06 into something a little more. It's nice to be able to share experiences with loads & not have to buy every new thing that comes out. I've already got too many bottles of unused powder on the shelf. Based on what I'm reading - I won't need to add an almost full bottle of superformance to the shelf.

Thanks!

Back