HORNADY 375 RUGER

Vince2

Handloader
Jan 21, 2022
Since I’m not reloading for the time being I’m starting to stockpile factory ammo for the 375 Ruger and wanted to get some opinions.

As I’m moving to Alaska this summer I want to take some factory ammunition with me. Here’s what I’m thinking and I’d like to see if y’all concur.

9 Boxes 270 Grain Spire Point (non dangerous game hunting) for deer up to and including moose. Will also use for sheep and goats.

4 Boxes of 300 Grain Solids as a bear stopper.

4 Boxes of 300 Grain Expanding dangerous game ammo.

My thoughts on bear stopping is to use the solids. For bear hunting I’d use the 300 Grain expanding ammo followed by solids in the magazine.

This would all be Hornady factory ammunition since they seem to be the only major manufacturer of 375 Ruger ammunition. If the ammo doesn’t shoot in my gun I’ll look at taking up reloading again.

Basically I’m looking at one rifle for all big game in Alaska. Any thoughts?

Vince

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Vince,
Not sure if you would really need solids for a bear stopper. I've never shot a big bear (yet) but I would think the 300 gr Dangerous Game expanding load would be more than enough for a big brown or grizzly bear. Having said that, maybe 1-2 boxes of solids and 2-3 more boxes of the expanding soft points.
Hopefully someone with first hand experience will set the record, and me straight.

JD338

Firebird

Beginner
Jun 22, 2013
I agree that you don’t need a solid and would hedge your bets with a good expanding bonded bullet. Hornady is the main producer for .375 ruger and I suspect the dgs or dgx would be great should you choose to go that route.

Swift has .375 ruger loaded ammunition in 300 gr with the A Frame bullet in stock right now-would be my first choice for big bears.

Double Tapp Ammunition makes several options for that caliber using Barnes bullets-I would heavily endorse the 235 tsx option for caribou and moose, small bears etc.

There are others such as superior ammo and hendershotd that will build custom stuff for you as well-Too bad you can’t reload right now!

Last edited:

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Not even sure the solid would be a legal option but it’s not yet 5 am and I’m still on my first cup of coffee. A number of the bear guides I know on the Peninsula
swear by bonded bullets, I think your in good shape there. Don’t over think it.
When are you headed up?

Vince2

Handloader
Jan 21, 2022
Not even sure the solid would be a legal option but it’s not yet 5 am and I’m still on my first cup of coffee. A number of the bear guides I know on the Peninsula
swear by bonded bullets, I think your in good shape there. Don’t over think it.
When are you headed up?
Going in July.
Really excited about it.

HodgemanAK

Beginner
Oct 23, 2020
I'm a huge fan of the .375 Ruger and played around with the 3 different factory loads when it came out.

Fast forward a few years and I pretty much settled on the 270gr expanding load for everything I'd hunt with it and a few 300gr DGX in my pocket for the pack out. My rifle shot each load to a different point of aim so it was simpler to zero with one and be point blank with the other. Solids are more of an African thing, no real point in them here. Any of the expanding loads will penetrate like crazy.

The new 250gr CX Outfitter would be worth looking at as well.

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Just to stir things up a little I know an outfitter who’s been quiding bears on the Peninsula for over 20 years. He has a very good area and does very well. He thinks partitions are good but the Aframe is better. He uses a 338. His senior employee, been with him almost 20 years uses a 35 Whelen as a stopping rifle. IT’s worked every time.

Vince2

Handloader
Jan 21, 2022
I love the Maggie but being as mine is blued with a 26” barrel I wanted a shorter barrel option. Also wanted stainless steel.

I’ve no doubt Maggie would acquit herself well.

Vince

Charlie-NY

Handloader
Mar 11, 2005
I bought a LH Ruger Guide Gun in 375Ruger when they first came out. I may actually have the first one off the production line, which was sent to me by Ruger.

Many bullets shot good but I used the 260 Partition bullet on my buffalo. The expanded bullets looked exactly like they show in the advertisements. The other (forgotten) bullet that gave extraordinary results is the Barnes 270 TSX bullet. Not the new(er) TTSX with the fancy tip but the older TSX hollow point bullet. They would be my number #1 choice where maximum penetration is needed in an expanding bullet.