How many 338 Federal shooters here?

Johnly

Beginner
Dec 12, 2020
One has recently come into my possession and has made a couple range trips. No earth shattering results as yet, but the 210 NPAR is looking promising. It looks like Leverevolution is going to generate the highest velocities and Varget is in the lead for accuracy.

In the old days a big bore heavy bullet at 2400 fps was thought to be optimum, and that's how I load my 416 Taylor. It looks like I might be able to do 2300 and possibly 2400 fps from my 338 Federal using Leverevolution with 250 gr. NPAR. I'm just looking for a 200 yd. load, with a high SD bullet along with with penetration and expansion. A hair brained idea or something worth exploring?

Good find! I’m kicking around the idea of re-barreling one of my 308’s to either 338 Fed or 358 Win. The 210gr PT will keep you smiling. According to my manuals it looks like 2500-2650 shouldn’t be hard to get with that weight bullet. Be sure and let us know how it shoots after you get a load ironed out. I’m jealous, you have such a hugely universal cartridge in that rifle. CFE 223 should work really well for it too.

My 338 Federal is a delight to shoot. True, I've only taken one moose with the cartridge, but that was because there were so many other options that it hasn't seen the use it should have seen. For that one moose, the round delivered the goods and the moose accepted the invitation to come home for dinner.

Johnly, welcome aboard!

I have 2 rifles in 338 Federal, and sold a 3rd to my step father to get him set for hunting with a left handed rifle.

My first is a Winchester Model 88 rebarreled to 338 Federal. I am using Federal Premium factory ammo with the 210gr Partition and it is producing 1" groups (and better when I do my part). It has harvested a caribou so far.

My second was a Tikka T3 Lite, that I have sold to my stepfather. It shoots the Federal Premium 180gr AccuBond factory ammo into 1/2" groups (hard to find now), and the 200gr Fusion and 200 gr Uni-Cor Power Shock ammo into 1 1/2" groups. For the moose hunting he is planning on doing, this will be sufficient to meet his needs.

My third, is a rebarreled left handed Sako 85 Finnlight II, that I have only gotten out to the range with once so far to sight in. The most promising factory load so far is the 201 gr Partition. I am hoping to find a good load with the 200gr AccuBond bullet. Going to try Re-15 and 17 in it. I have also found some Speer 200gr Hot Cor's to try as well. If I can't find a siutable load to meet my expectations, I may also try the 215gr SGK in it.
I haven't looked at Leverevolution or Varget yet for potential loads.

I have larger caliber/cartridge combinations if I want to use heavier bullets, such as shooting 250gr AccuBonds out of my 9.3x62, and 260gr AccuBonds out of my 376 Steyr.
In my larger 338's (338-06 aand 338 Win Mag)I am shooting 215 gr SGK's and 225gr Partitions and AccuBonds, respectively.
As an aside, I am shooting 350gr TSX's out of 416 Taylor at approx. 2400 fps right now. Nice load with great accuracy, and even shootable recoil off the bench.

So at this point, I haven't considered a 250gr in the 338 Federal.

I have a collection of M88s myself, and had one of the 308 rifles picked out to have JES rebore it to 358. Then magic happened as I was able to purchase a nice pre-64 358 at well below market price. The 308 rifle went into storage and I didn't think much of it until the 338 Federal was announced and I recalled the old Rifle magazine article about a 338-08. Never got around to opening up the crates to look for it before the Shaw Custom rifle came into my possession courtesy of Chuck Hawks.
Love the 338 WM, 9.3x62, and the 416 Taylor.

I have a .338 Federal on a Tikka T3X action with an XCaliber barrel. It’s throated longer than SAAMI to get the 210gr Partition out to 3.0. It groups well with the factory 200gr Federal Fusion, and I have had very, very encouraging experience accuracy-wise with the 186gr Shock Hammer from Hammer Bullets. I cannot get the Nosler ETips or Federal Trophy Coppers to shoot well in it at all.

I like the rifle and caliber a lot. I plan on carrying it this Winter for Sitka Blacktail when the brown bears could still be up and around. The rest of the time it’s a 35 Whelen or the 9.3X64 I am babysitting for a friend. [emoji1]

I have a 338Fed rifle and use 160gr TTSX Handloads in it. I am in a state where we must use non-lead bullets and the TTSX group great. Win mag primer, 50grs of IMR8208XBR for 2906FPS and SD7 in a short 20" barrel. I like the idea of larger frontal area to start with over smaller calibers

IMPO I don't think a 250gr is a solid option. I'm shooting 200-210's and see no reason to vary. Anything heavier cuts too much into case capacity & reduces velocity to a point where the heavier bullets construction becomes if it's going to be more of a solid than a expander.

If it groups, run with LVR ! If that doesn't satisfy your requirements, I'd look at IMR8208.

You REALLLY want to get some in depth 338 Fed reload info? Go here...it's 32 page long.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthrea ... /3634927/1

46.0 gr. of Lever got the 250 NPAR slightly above 2300 fps at 15' from the muzzle and there might be another 50 fps available.
According to the ballistic tables the velocity of the 338 Federal with 250s differs from the 338 WM by ~ 200 yards. A 338 WM at 400 yards is about the same as a 338 Federal at 200 yards.

Friend of mine use the 185 TSX in their Tikkas. others use the 180 NAB. I had a little Ruger All Weather that loved the 160 TTSX over a case full of TAC. I never killed anything with it, but have with the bigger 338s, Love the caliber, can't go wrong! For a man moving up from a 270/30-06 etc to the 338 caliber, the Federal is much easier to Master than the Win Mag...for most guys who will admit it, ha.

This is the only 338 federal in my safe. It’s a pretty fun little hand cannon to shoot. 210 partitions at 2400fps
41de255f3804fc062ac674b640729617.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back