How many left-hand shooters/hunters do we have here?

xphunter

Handloader
Sep 15, 2005
I am left eye dominate, and typically shoot left-handed, but I am also very comfortable shooting right-handed with rifles, and any handgun type as well.
I have never tried shooting RH with a shotgun.

Left eye dominate. Pretty much ambidextrous, bat about the same left or right. Got kicked in the face by a horse when I was a kid, never could learn to close my left eye after that. Learned to shoot rifle and shotgun left handed. Carried my pistol on my right hip for 20 years on the job. Shot about the same with either hand, the longer a call went that required my pistol in my hand, the more likely it would end up in my left hand.

I'm left eye dominate, but right handed. It's made things a little weird for me. I started shooting left handed in my yard with a BB gun with open sights and have now grown more used to shooting left handed, but if I were to shoot a scoped bolt action again, I would probably shoot right handed, probably. I try to practice both so I can use whatever side suits the situation, but because I like shooting with both eyes open with iron sights I've been doing a lot more left handed.

I'm left handed, but right eye dominant and shoot right handed. My son is the exact opposite...right handed but left eye dominant and he shoots lefty.

After many years teaching people to shoot, I won't even bother teaching someone to shoot to their "handedness" if it conflicts. with their eye dominance.

Not a lefty, but it reminds me of dad teaching us to shoot/ hunt squirrel with a .410 he would have us shoot a pop cans he’d setup behind us while we sat leaning against a tree trunk. We had to be familiar with switching to a left hand to shoot behind and to the right of the tree with a shotgun. Pretty easy habit to develop.

I used to be a right-handed shooter until I lost some vision in my right eye. I can no longer see flying clay targets or fine crosshairs with my right eye. So, I switched to left-handed shooting. I tried shooting a right-handed rifle left-handed but found that when handling a right-handed rifle, I would automatically raise it right-handed. When I switched to left-handed rifles, I would raise them in a left-handed hold. Then I learned to shoot a cross bow left-handed.

I still shoot pistols right-handed but hold the pistol over in front of my left eye.

I am all screwed up with wing shooting. I tried shooting skeet left-handed, but the shotguns didn't fit correctly, and I couldn't pick up the target on my right side. The best I could manage was like 19/25. That was pretty sad considering I used to shoot registered skeet.

Just two years ago I learned to shoot a vertical bow left-handed. But I always want to stand facing the wrong way. I need much more practice with that.

So, I guess you can count me as a lefty now. Dan

Sorry to hear about your loss of ability to shoot with your right eye.

Hopefully you can find a shotgun that fits properly left handed one day.
Thank you. I am not sure I will ever take up skeet again. I had (still have) a highly customized Kreighoff O/U that would be extremely difficult to replace with a comparable left-handed version.

The art and science of rifle reloading has really captured my interest lately. The more I learn, the more there is to learn. Dan

Left eye dominant rifles and shot guns prefer lefty, can shoot right if neede. Archery equipment must be right handed. Swing a hammer right handed small little train wreck here.

Right handed, and left eye dominant.
Grandpa was ex-Navy, and taught us kids to shoot with both eyes open, and right handed.
Couldn't hit anything when keeping both eyes open...until he realized I was trying to cant my head over the stock to get the sights to line up for my left eye...been shooting left handed ever since.
Did learn to get my right eye to obtain sight picture, by closing the left eye, and then maintain dominance when opening left eye and being able to shoot and hit the target when shooting right handed...never know when I might need to do so...like getting an eye injury while out on the field, or needing to switch from left to right due to environmental conditions in a shooting situation. Have experienced both of these since, and had to shoot right handed. Still tend close my left eye when shooting right handed rifles.
Have not tried shotguns right handed. Shooting pistol, with either hand, I still use my left eye for aiming.
Working as a bow technician and teaching people how to shoot archery equipment, I had to learn to shoot all right handed bows with proficiency. While not as good right handed, as left, I can shoot pretty good groups out to 50 yards with compound bows and 30 yards with longbow and recurve bows.

So far, I have been surprised that so many here shoot left-handed or can for a variety of reasons.
Some of those reasons have not been good, yet you guys have adapted.
Thanks for everyone's responses to date.

Left eye dominant, left hander.
So far, so good.
But I developed a tremor in my left hand - family heritage.
So for pistols I am switching to right handed, rifle/shotgun is ok as lefty.
But I write with the right hand and can shoot bows, rifles and shotguns right handed (less training, so not that well). So I and kinda ambidextrous, with a tendency to left hand.
My elder son is left eye dominant, but tends to be right handed
Was interesting to see at younger age, because he switched.
I made him shoot lefty.

Last edited:
I didn't spell it out earlier, but I am fairly ambidextrous as well.
I am right hand dominate in things like writing, but I can write LH, but it is ugly (RH is not much better).
Some things I am completely ambi in though like throwing and catching for baseball. Can throw a football easily with either hand
Back in the day: Hurdles (R), long jump (R), Javelin and discus (Ambi), High jump (R), punting (R), batting (L).

Back