Hunting Rifle Practice with the Ruger single shots!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Spent the morning at the 100 yard rifle range, practicing only from unsupported sitting, and from the tripod while standing. Had both the 375 H&H and the 7mm Rem Mag rifles with me. Both rifles shoot well. The loads are good. The rifleman needs more work.

aqseZAQh.jpg

"Brandy" the nearly-new, 20 year old 7mm Rem Mag with the 3.5-10x Leupold & 160 gr Sierra Gameking handloads:

IvyEVvNh.jpg

My favorite bear rifle, the 375 H&H, with the 1.5-5x Leupold. Pictured with one of my last 270 grain Hornady Round Nose handloads. I'm going to miss those bullets, they're long since out of production, but shot well from my rifle:

t6TuhQFh.jpg

The white-tipped bullets are 260 grain Nosler Accubonds. That bullet over 69 grains of RL-15 has proven accurate and effective. I've used it on three black bear with excellent results from 15 feet to 306 yards:

rZLOOjqh.jpg

It was a good practice session. Didn't do too much shooting, just enough for today. Though it's not bad for a few rounds, after a while the 375 wears on me a bit.

Regards, Guy

Excellent report, Guy. I don't get nearly enough time at the range. I do treasure what time I'm able to squeeze out--and I recognize that I do need it!

I do a lot of my positional shooting with the rimfire. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper than burning up my hunting loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":2w1wdrly said:
I do a lot of my positional shooting with the rimfire. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper than burning up my hunting loads

YES! Normally I do, but am feeling the need for some hunting rifle practice.

You're right though, my little Marlin 39A goes through a lot of 22's every year. :grin:

Guy

I sure like those Ruger #1's Guy! Aren't they just great to hunt with too. I don't know what it is about them but it's special being in the woods with one.

SJB358":1kg7i3uy said:
Those are quite the pair Guy. Sleek, great looking rifles.

Thanks! I like them. I think the 7mm & 375 make a nice, useful combo too.

BTW, I think there's quite a bit more velocity avail from the 7mm Rem Mag, it has a 26" barrel. I'm loading the 160's with 65 grains of RL-22 and getting about 3050 fps. I've loaded 160's with more RL-22 than that in the past and had no trouble getting 3100 fps with a 24" barrel. Not that I really want or need more, it's just an interesting thought.

Guy

Oh I bet Guy. I was kinda thinking that myself.

I’ll admit, every time you post pictures I cruise Gunbroker looking at #1’s. It’s bad sometimes :mrgreen:

LOL! I honestly have more rifles than I want but... I like my "pairs" of hunting rifles. Someday I'll likely sell a few but... it's going to be a hard choice.

Ruger Number One: 375 & 7mm Rem Mag

Marlin: 30-30 (okay it's a Glenfield) and 45/70

Remington 700: 30-06 & 25-06 (as well as the 308 varmint weight)

Winchester 70: Did have a 300 WSM and a 375 H&H. Sold the 300 last year. Great rifle, just wasn't using it.

Too many hunting rifles. But, I like 'em.

Guy

They have some 1’s in 300 H&H that look might svelte as well. Those sorta caught my eye.

SJB358":383bidqz said:
They have some 1’s in 300 H&H that look might svelte as well. Those sorta caught my eye.

Ya, a few years ago Ruger made a special run of the 300 H&H Number One rifles - I saw one at the Cabelas in Post Falls Idaho. Thought about it... That cartridge has a lot of cool factor.

Guy

I have to ask Guy, do you do any practice for a rapid reload? I haven't used my #1s for a while as the place where I do elk hunts won't allow single shot rifles. Too late to book this year but I'll try for a spot next year and I'm bring my Ruger#1S .300 Win. Mag. along for the ride. When they gripe I'll just say my other rifles were stolen and this is the only one I have. I don't think I'll get too much of an argument.
Paul B.

PJGunner":23f269ut said:
I have to ask Guy, do you do any practice for a rapid reload? I haven't used my #1s for a while as the place where I do elk hunts won't allow single shot rifles. Too late to book this year but I'll try for a spot next year and I'm bring my Ruger#1S .300 Win. Mag. along for the ride. When they gripe I'll just say my other rifles were stolen and this is the only one I have. I don't think I'll get too much of an argument.
Paul B.

Yes! I practice rapid reloads, and it paid off last year at the Safari Rifle Chamionships in Libby Montana, summer of 2019. I took 5th out of 40 - 60 competitors, with my single shot 375 H&H. Several times a quick second shot was required. It also paid off bear hunting once when I followed up a bear wounded by another hunter.

I practice getting that second round from two different places:

A leather cartridge holder on my belt, I keep that on my right side. Very straightforward.

The other is a cartridge carrier in the left breast pocket of my shirt, it holds six 375's and is actually very quick for reloads, using my right hand.

With either, I keep the rifle's forearm firmly in my left hand. My right ejects the empty, grabs the fresh cartridge and reloads the rifle, then fires. Right hand gets real busy, but it works as a nice sequence. NOT as fast as a bolt gun, but not bad.

Oh, I made my own dummy ammo for the purpose too. :grin:

Guy

I did the same with dummy rounds from a belt holder I made up. Not pretty but it works. Usually hunting in AZ it's warm enough that I'm not overdressed but when it's really cold clothing gets in the way. So now I use a butt cuff which works reasonably well. I've also learned to tilt the rifle slightly to the right to keep the ejected round from hanging up on the safety.
Paul B.

Alderman":3jd7dtnf said:
Guy:

Have you tried the 300 grain AccuBond in the 375?

Oh, just saw this. Sorry.

No - I've never tried the 300 gr AccuBond. Simply because I have a plethora of 300 gr Hornady soft point & fmj bullets as well as hundreds of 300 grain Nosler Partitions. They all shoot well, so I had no particular need to try any other 300 grain bullets.

With my 300's I've used only one load: 75 grains of H4350 for about 2550 fps.

Regards, Guy

You have a lovely collection, I'm thankful for the strict gun ownership law's in my country, without them I would be broke! :lol:

England":90bgcip9 said:
You have a lovely collection, I'm thankful for the strict gun ownership law's in my country, without them I would be broke! :lol:

Ha! Yes indeed, I ought to have better control over my firearms purchases. Every time I think I'm done... Something seems to leap into my hands and come home with me.

That said, I have been doing more selling than buying the past few years. Eventually I'll likely have a rather small herd of rifles. Actually, compared to many of my friends, my little collection is quite small. Amazing how many guns some folks own. When a buddy invites me over to see a new acquisition, and there are a row of gun safes along the wall... I know I'm a very minor collector!

Regards, Guy

SJB358":1t9t5ha7 said:
Oh I bet Guy. I was kinda thinking that myself.

I’ll admit, every time you post pictures I cruise Gunbroker looking at #1’s. It’s bad sometimes :mrgreen:

Very nice Guy. Nothing better than to shoot the rifle and load that you are going to be hunting with.

I'm with Scotty. I have an itch for a Number 1 in 25-06. It would make for a sweet White Tail rifle.

JD338

Back