Huskemaw 5-20 X 50

Hammerdown

Beginner
Jul 12, 2009
Any likes or dis-likes.

A friend of mine just bought one, "The Blue Diamond" It looks clear,not too heavy. The dials move easy enough.

I'm not sure how they will hold up. What are your thoughts??

I'm just looking for more info about them. Heck, I might buy one..
Thanks

I have not owned one but I know that RMR really likes them and they as good a builder as you can find. They used to supply the rifles for Best of the West which is a long distance hunting show they always had a Huskemaw on them.
My cousin has one on his 270wsm and he really likes it.

Blessings,
Dan

I have one. It's on my 7mm Rem Mag and I'm on the fence about it honestly. It's a great scope if you plan to always dial your shots, but doesn't offer a BDC reticle for those closer shots. The glass is nice- I find mine ghosting and washing out at 600+ yards if I am looking at a white target. I think that the scope lets in so much light that white paper or reflective targets cause the ghosting. Animals or other nature based objects are clear and crisp from 50 yards out to infinity. Is it worth 1500 clams? .... I think you can get glass that performs just as well and has more features (magnification, illumination, ranging, BDC, etc) for less. And you can get customized turrets for nearly any scope these days... But it depends on what you want to do- dial in the shot, or be able to hold over? People at the range seem to oogle over it. I've thought about parting with it several times to fund other (2x) scopes that fit my POU better.

It has performed for my elk hunts in inclimate weather. -10 below to 30F swings, it never fogged or lost clarity. I've shot at paper at long distances and from 200-300 yards at game. I don't see myself attempting any shots at game over 500 yards. PBR gets me out to ~250 before I have to start adjusting for drop and the BDC card I made tells me holdovers in inches.

Havent ranged anything with it. Its easier and faster to push a button on the laser range finder and not second guess my multiplication and division.

I won one of these scopes last December at the wyoming long range shooters match. The huskemaw is a good, clear, and durable scope for that price point.

Wyo7200":17gved88 said:
I have one. It's on my 7mm Rem Mag and I'm on the fence about it honestly. It's a great scope if you plan to always dial your shots, but doesn't offer a BDC reticle for those closer shots. The glass is nice- I find mine ghosting and washing out at 600+ yards if I am looking at a white target. I think that the scope lets in so much light that white paper or reflective targets cause the ghosting. Animals or other nature based objects are clear and crisp from 50 yards out to infinity. Is it worth 1500 clams? .... I think you can get glass that performs just as well and has more features (magnification, illumination, ranging, BDC, etc) for less. And you can get customized turrets for nearly any scope these days... But it depends on what you want to do- dial in the shot, or be able to hold over? People at the range seem to oogle over it. I've thought about parting with it several times to fund other (2x) scopes that fit my POU better.

It has performed for my elk hunts in inclimate weather. -10 below to 30F swings, it never fogged or lost clarity. I've shot at paper at long distances and from 200-300 yards at game. I don't see myself attempting any shots at game over 500 yards. PBR gets me out to ~250 before I have to start adjusting for drop and the BDC card I made tells me holdovers in inches.

Havent ranged anything with it. Its easier and faster to push a button on the laser range finder and not second guess my multiplication and division.

Sounds as though they need more work on their work on lens coatings. They are washing out the contrast with flare.

It really does perform as it is designed for. In my experience, I think it struggles when punching holes into paper in full sun.

During my elk hunting trip, I could see the butts of the herd going over the ridge ~30-45 minutes after the sun disappeared. It was pretty dark, but I could make out the elks butts from 500 yards. The next morning proved the same performance. It lets in a lot of light in low light conditions.

Maybe it is mine (coatings as OT noted) though, as anyone else I've asked about the ghosting hasn't noticed it. I've had mine for two years now. I haven't touched the lenses with anything and they are still clean.

A buddy has them on a 25-06AI and a 300WM. Swears by them for all his antelope, mule deer and elk hunts in Wyoming where shot have been from 50-600+ yards. I haven't looked through one, so can't comment on the quality of glass compared to a Leupold or Zeiss.

As I said my cousin has one. I have looked and shot paper with it, in my opinion it is up there with the other top manufacturers such as Leupold, Zeiss & Leica. The same fellow recently purchase a Steiner, he has told me that they are his new favourite :wink:.
I have looked through it and again it seems very clear. At this time in my life I judge the scope on how I can see that 1/2 hour before sunrise and that last 1/2 hour after sunset.

Blessings,
Dan

Back