Hybrid 100V Temp Sensitive?

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
I checked a load that I made up at the end of last year (cool weather), and had high velocity and rather high pressure. They averaged 100fps faster and had one that went 140fps over.

It was 63gr Hybrid 100V behind a 180gr AB.

Have any of you had similar results?

Very well could be. I remember someone saying the powder company's definition of temp insensitivity is extremely vague.... I've been doing a lot of warm weather/ cold weather test and modeling in quickload with all my caliber's. I can say with some confidence that Alliant powders (r17,r22,r25,r15 so far) have a ~40* range of temperature before you'll be out of your barrels node. H335 as well. So if your temp difference was greater than 40*... Time to create a load for warm weather.

I'll be following this discussion. Shot some test groups with .25-06AI this morning to find a powder to start load development. H4831, H4350, H1000, Hybrid 100v, RL22. The best group of them all was Hybrid 100v, 1" group at 200yds and 85 degrees.

I was about to ask the temperature question when I stumbled upon this post. H100v isn't listed as one of Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders.

bteate":3uu0uljd said:
I checked a load that I made up at the end of last year (cool weather), and had high velocity and rather high pressure. They averaged 100fps faster and had one that went 140fps over.

It was 63gr Hybrid 100V behind a 180gr AB.

Have any of you had similar results?

Hybrid 100V is a double base ball powder and as such is more temp sensitive than single base powders.

General Dynamics Weapons Division who now owns the old Remington/DuPont IMR series of powders and the old Winchester ball powder line has teamed up with the Australian ADI powders. The new IMR-4166, 4451 and 7977 are extreme powders and part of the teamwork between General Dynamics and ADI in Australia.

If you are looking at 100v then 4451 is probably the one in that series that you want.

HeathSexton":2q62jhgr said:
Mule Deer on the 24hourcampfire says in his tests 100V is very temp sensitive.

Good to know. I loaded up three different .270 bullets with H100v.
I,ll watch for the temp sensitive issue.

Ok, my original post was pretty hastily written and I left out some details. ( trying to get off work) I didn't get any notifications on this so I thought it was a dead subject.
My original velocities at the time of work up averaged 2820 with sub 1/2 moa. Having thought I had found a good load, I loaded 20 for hunting season. I didn't take the rifle out last year. Last week a friend purchased a magnetospeed and I wanted to check it against my chrono. Wow! The first three averaged 2988 and without having my original notes with me I really didn't think it was that off. The next one went 3060, 240 fps over my original average. ( made a mistake in o.p.)
Without have the temperature recorded for original load, I would assume the difference was about 40*.
Thanks for everyone looking and sharing thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bteate":2esfl1c8 said:
Ok, my original post was pretty hastily written and I left out some details. ( trying to get off work) I didn't get any notifications on this so I thought it was a dead subject.
My original velocities at the time of work up averaged 2820 with sub 1/2 moa. Having thought I had found a good load, I loaded 20 for hunting season. I didn't take the rifle out last year. Last week a friend purchased a magnetospeed and I wanted to check it against my chrono. Wow! The first three averaged 2988 and without having my original notes with me I really didn't think it was that off. The next one went 3060, 240 fps over my original average. ( made a mistake in o.p.)
Without have the temperature recorded for original load, I would assume the difference was about 40*.
Thanks for everyone looking and sharing thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have any obvious signs of pressure?

The reason I ask is I had similar results (but the other way around) when comparing velocities of a load in my 280 with my new Magnetospeed and my Shooting Chrony. The MS showed a muzzle velocity of 2860 fps compared to 2990 fps with the SC. Both loads were chrony'd at about the same outside temp.

I've been working on load for my 280 with H100v, I tend to shoot in the early mornings and I try not to do any load development when the temps are much over 70*-75*. So far, it's giving me pretty good accuracy & velocity. If I decide to use this powder this fall for Nov. deer season, I'll be interested to see how it performs in the cooler weather. We're finally getting into some fall weather here to where the morning lows will be in the mid 40's so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on my velocities to see how this powder reacts.

I shot both chronos at the same time and were within 10-15fps of each other. The average was only just a few fps. The super fast one had obvious signs, not so much with the others. Needless to say that was the last shot.

Back