I never liked plastic stocks

Going through the pictures , I forgot what the post was about when I got to last one with all those primers distracting me😁.
I’m a big fan of Bell & Carlson stocks. I do have 2 Boyds thumbhole stocks , they are fine but it required a little work.

Looks good. That slicked it up. Pretty stock. Those Tikka's are a little light for some calibers for my preference.....how much weight did that laminate add?

Edit to add: Caliber doesn't make any difference, cartridge. It's getting bed time here and I'm tired. Ha.

Last edited:
Gotta agree- Im not partial to the synthetics either. Had one - sold it and put it in a Boyds Laminate. Im not really fond of the "plywood" ones either, (yours looks nice;)), But somehow I just cant afford fiddle-back Maple and Black Walnut stocks....o_O. Let us know if it shoots any better etc. I had to do quite a bit of work to get my Boyds to fit right. (Nont really Boyds fault- I used it for a different variation of the advertised model) How'd yours fit? Any way... looks nice- enjoy! CL

Looks good. If your satisfied that's what counts. I'm lusting after your primers in the background, lol:LOL:Dan.
All those large rifle primers were bought before 2020 and I think it was Grafs had the sale on the Federal match primers for $150 per 5000. If I knew that back then I would of gotten more. The CCI small rifle and small pistol just got this past month cost as much as those cases.

Gotta agree- Im not partial to the synthetics either. Had one - sold it and put it in a Boyds Laminate. Im not really fond of the "plywood" ones either, (yours looks nice;)), But somehow I just cant afford fiddle-back Maple and Black Walnut stocks....o_O. Let us know if it shoots any better etc. I had to do quite a bit of work to get my Boyds to fit right. (Nont really Boyds fault- I used it for a different variation of the advertised model) How'd yours fit? Any way... looks nice- enjoy! CL
It is my second Boyds stock I put a thumbhole on my Savage Brush Hunter rifle that also had a plastic stock. The Savage shot great so I expect the same from this stock, the barrel is free floated as I can slid a Remington oil wipe all the way down the stock that I wrapped around the barrel.

Going through the pictures , I forgot what the post was about when I got to last one with all those primers distracting me😁.
I’m a big fan of Bell & Carlson stocks. I do have 2 Boyds thumbhole stocks , they are fine but it required a little work.

Looks pretty sweet! We put a Boyd’s on my daughters 7-08. The factory LOP and general fit didn’t work for her. So we had Boyd’s cut one with a specific LOP and it turn out to fit great, And it certainly didn’t affect the accuracy. I put one on a Tikka and had to do some minor fitting so the mag would lock and come out with ease. But only about 10 minutes of light sanding and testing. 8AEA9511-4078-43B9-ABE5-00C89490964E.jpegFA8968DB-9D62-4A06-86C9-2DC466BE0844.jpeg

Quite an attractive rifle with the pink highlights. Heck, I know some boys who would like that rifle.

The one thing that bugs me about hers is how abruptly the Forend terminates. The classic, prairie hunter, and heritage stocks are my favorite.

Last edited:
Very nice rig! I’m a big fan of Boyd’s stocks. I have 3. They fit perfectly as built, and bedded very nicely. There is another in my near future as well.

Last edited:
I have an At-one on a ryger American and feel the same way, and also dont care for the sharp edges. I am curious how their new agility is
I think they do it that way because they offer the black rounded tips as an add on. And that just makes it simple to epoxy a tip on.

I much prefer my McMillan stocked rifle to any wood or laminate.

Wood is pretty to look at and warm to burn but besides eye candy I don’t care for wood on my rifles. I got my flame retardant jeans and shirt on so flame away.

Vince

I personally prefer blued steel and walnut. With that said I do like the Boyd's laminated stocks and have had a few of them, I don't care for thumbhole stocks though. I also like Bell and Carlson synthetic and if I was going have a synthetic stock that would be it.

While laminate stocks do add weight to a rifle, I like the fact that they add rigidity and do not warp or swell like wood, while still retaining the warmth and feel of wood. I find the ones done in the more natural colours to be quite attractive. All but two are either nutmeg or pepper laminate.

I have several laminate stocked rifle that are factory: Sako, Remington, Marlin, and Browning; and have a couple Remington and a couple of Ruger custom rifles that are wearing Wenig laminated stocks, and one wearing a Fajen laminate stock, and a couple have Boyd's laminate stocks (a Ruger and a Magnum Research). The two Boyds' are the older Evolution design in Sky Blue and Royal Jacaranda(?) on the 10/22 rifles. Most are also glass bedded and some have also been pillar bedded. The ones on larger bores (376 Steyr and 416 Taylor) have also been pinned with cross bolts around the action. I even had the one made for the 376 Steyr built in the mannlicher style.

All the rifles wearing laminate stocks shoot very well!
Most sub-MOA, and some 1/2-MOA when I do my part! LOL

Back