Inverted primer strike?

hogginlong

Beginner
Apr 14, 2017
Don't know what this would be called or even how it happened. It's the only one and never seen it before. Any insights?

Attachments

• 102_2926.JPG
    102_2926.JPG
    906.4 KB · Views: 749
Given the ejector mark, it looks like REALLY high pressure, but it isn't even flat around the edge.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Only one as in other rounds of the same load were fired after that one without looking anything like that??

The reverse dimple is from the hole the firing pin pushes through.
Is the case fire formed and maybe a bit snug on the bolt close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadeTree":3249vrl4 said:
Only one as in other rounds of the same load were fired after that one without looking anything like that??
It's the only one of the lot. Seems funny it could push back into the pin hole and primer itself still looks normal.

mjcmichigan":21tytr1m said:
The reverse dimple is from the hole the firing pin pushes through.
Is the case fire formed and maybe a bit snug on the bolt close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was not a virgin case,fls just like all the others with no issues.

Is that an ejector hole marking at 12 -1 o clock on the case head? If so, then its very high pressure.

+3 or 4 on real high pressure. As 5shot & mjcmichigan stated, the primer extruded into the firing pin hole.

General insight which could be off. Given that the case is a 22 Nosler (from what I can see) and it is primarily used in an AR-15 platform, I think you could have real high pressure without the primer flattening. I'm not expert on AR's, so others will need to confirm or deny, but I have been told that case pressure signs can be mixed on semi-autos. High pressure can mean that the bolt unlocks earlier than intended and thus give mixed signs as the case is un-chambered while pressurized.

An alternate theory is that the ejector marks are from previous firings (load work-up), and you just had a bad primer, be it a primer cup with a weak spot or oddly seated (such that the pocket was loose and the case was being unloaded while pressurized). You might want to read: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Dpms_G2_cratering_primers/121-647659/? - looks somewhat similar to your situation other than you have ejector marks.

I do not like this alternate theory of a bad primer as it could very easily give a false sense of security; you have significant ejector marks which I think really move this into the world of high pressure. I would highly recommend, without knowing your reloading and storage procedures, that you:
1. Examine your process to make sure primers and powder can't be mixed up. Make sure you are avoiding that horrible situation of a few grains of pistol powder in the hopper that make it into the first rifle cartridge of the day.

2. Make sure that your bullets aren't seating into the lands, be it from bullet, seating or other tolerances. Or creeping forward under recoil, as you go through a mag.

3. Make sure the cases are trimmed - have heard some weird & dangerous stuff regarding this.

Just trying to get across that if this is a high pressure situation, the cause needs to be rectified. Hope some of the ideas help.

First shot out of a clean rifle? Oil in the chamber can also cause over pressure signs on cases. Ive seen it a few times.

From what I've seen personally the 22 Nosler is notoriously rough on brass. Ejector marks are pretty much the norm with this cartridge. I recently went to an adjustable gas block but I'll be switching this thing over to 22 Nosgar as soon as the brass and bolt get here.

Back