Iron Sight Practice.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
I've been busy and it's been hot. Really haven't shot much in the past month. Last evening was muggy but wanted to shoot something so grabbed up my 9mm and my lever 22.

After some shots with the pistol I went to the rifle range. Just for the heck of it I wanted to shoot it at 100 yds. Realized I'd forgotten my sand bags so I just propped the forearm on a block of wood and folded my left arm under the stock for support.

Put 10 in the tube and fired 4 shots before I thought maybe I could see a hole on the far left side with my little 8x binoculars. Wasn't seeing the other 2 before that, and 1 was apparently off the left of the plate. Was maybe a 6mph right to left crosswind.

Fudged to the right a hair and confirmed a hit towards center. Continuing to hold a fudge off right center it put the next 5 in the area of that one.

Little bugger shoots pretty darn good, always has since I got it. Short 15" sight radius, if I'd put a rear mounted peep on the rascal it might be scary accurate.

6 consecutive shots under 3" with a open sighted lever 22 at 100 yds surprised me. 5 shot group measured right at 2".

Here's an older picture of the rifle. I've since pulled the hood off the front so I can better see the front sight.

Nice. Ya, I had the scope off my 22 Marlin lever action for about three years I think. Was a lot of fun. Recently put a scope back on it, in anticipation of grouse season. :)

I do still enjoy shooting with iron sights. Some rifles just seem to work great with them.

Guy

Guy Miner":1cjoh62g said:
Nice. Ya, I had the scope off my 22 Marlin lever action for about three years I think. Was a lot of fun. Recently put a scope back on it, in anticipation of grouse season. :)

I do still enjoy shooting with iron sights. Some rifles just seem to work great with them.

Guy

Yep, fun and cheap practice. These results make me want to go back with no wind and my sandbags to see what it will do for 10 shots at 100yds.

Last few times I shot it for group the rifle put some stellar groups together at 25 and 50 yds. I believe I'm gonna carry it for squirrels at least some of the times this season instead of my scoped 22.

1100 Remington Man":wcdav84k said:
Nice little .22LR there. You reminded me I could use a little open sight practice.

Thanks. Little bugger shoots amazingly well. Better than I'm capable of with a short sight radius and a blocky front sight that makes it difficult to do it justice at what is considered long range for a 22.

Stopped back at the range yesterday for the 1st time since this, with sandbags along this time.

No practice shots first. I'm positive not the guns fault, but there was 1 high and 2 low mixed in out of 10 shots at 100 yds. 6 shot group measures at 1.5", five shot is just a skosh over an inch. It's really a great shooting little lever and cheap practice.

Back