Just some rifle maintenance

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Spent the morning with my rifles, it was nice...

Several of them had been used a lot, and I'd only given them cursory cleaning. It was time to do more. So I spent the morning listening to the radio, and cleaning my rifles. And two shotguns as well, come to think of it!

The little .30-30 Glenfield had been used pretty hard, carried a lot, shot a little, and the action wasn't working very smoothly. Tore this little rascal down, cleaned and lubed everything and now it's working just as slick as can be! I've often thought about re-finishing the metal, maybe even Cerakote, and upgrading to some nice maple or walnut stocks... But I also like it just the way it is. Maybe I'll just re-finish the original stocks? It's sighted in at 100 yards with 170 grain Federal factory ammo. Yes, I do handload for it, but that Federal stuff shoots so good...

Have been thinking of this one a lot lately. It might have been a better choice than my .30-06 for all the hunting I did last season, but the .30-06 did just fine. This is a Winchester Model 70 Coyote, with the "Controlled Round Push Feed" action, which frankly works super-slick with the .300 WSM cartridge. It's accurate. Reasonably powerful. And darned near weather-proof. Currently sporting a fixed 6x Leupold. I've got it sighted in at 200 yards with 210 grain Berger VLD bullets at 2810 fps, though I've also used 165, 180 and 200 gr hunting bullets from it. Good rifle, even has a Jewel trigger! But I just don't seem to use it much. Hmmm. Maybe this year?

Put a scope back onto my .22 Marlin 39A as well. Getting ready for some spring varmint shooting. I hit better with a scope.

Cleaned the 12 gauge, the 20 gauge, the Winchester .375 H&H, the .30-06 Rem 700 CDL, the .308 Green Machine, and I think there was something else too...

Couple of handguns also got some attention.

It was a real nice way to spend the morning!

Guy

A good day, I need to do the same. Made it as far as clearing off the work bench. Guiding today, Friday and Saturday. Maybe Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a little work on my ancient Marlin last week as well. As much as I detest a scope on a lever, it's apparent that to continue to enjoy mine is going to require an upgrade to the sighting equipment. One of those little 2.5x Leupolds would be a good fit for the cartridge.

That 300 is a great gun. That's a whopper load for it as well. Wonder if a slimmer stock might not let you grab it more often :lol:

Guy,

The 300 WSM defiantly needs some time afield. :)

JD338

You Nosler guys won't disown me if I use a 210 gr Berger in the .300 WSM next season? Shoots that bullet significantly better than anything else...

Could have taken a decent black bear with the .30-30 in August last year, at about 15 or 20 yards... That would have been pretty cool, but I wanted a bigger bear, and got one less than two weeks later with my .30-06 instead.

Too many rifles, not enough hunting!

Guy

SJB358":rv2aydoe said:
That 300 is a great gun. That's a whopper load for it as well. Wonder if a slimmer stock might not let you grab it more often :lol:

Well, I did just put my favorite hunting scope on it... That might help! :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":1v0gttbm said:
SJB358":1v0gttbm said:

Well, I did just put my favorite hunting scope on it... That might help! :mrgreen:

I saw that!

I would like to see you take some game with it. I always like to see others I trust report back what they see. That 210 Berger should be a monster.. Alot of bullet there.

Your Win Coyote makes me smile. My son got one in 7mmWSM after he was injured. I asked him why so heavy. He said "I don't have to carry it!". It is very accurate. I checkered that laminated stock and wore out four cutters on those glue layers - that is hard stuff!
EE2

Attachments

• coyotecheckered_001.jpg
    coyotecheckered_001.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 737
Back