Lee FCD in 45-70

bdbrown66

Handloader
May 16, 2016
I've been loading and shooting 45-70 in my Henry levers for a few years now, but I've always just used the RCBS seater die to crimp. For those who have used the Lee FCD in this caliber, what are your thoughts? I know it will lessen the need to be as exacting on trim length, but is there an accuracy improvement? I'm always open to something better.

Cheers,
Brian

Not a lot of cartridges that I crimp. The ones that I do, I only use a LFC die. Simple, idiot proof for guys like me, and consistent. I usually go with a medium crimp and just confirm it's holding bullets at the loaded length in the magazine under recoil. Very easy to go with a heavier crimp if necessary.

I have several and they get used regularly. Maybe just in my mind, but I feel like it ads to the consistency of the rounds. I’ve never seen a load get worse by using them. Simple and almost idiot-proof. Plus the bullet doesn’t need a cannelure to crimp. It may be tad much, but once I get the crimp I want, I’ll measure with a caliper from the top of the die to the press and record that for future batches.

Attachments

• FF004ED1-D2EC-4978-B8A6-D1C875C8703A.jpeg
    FF004ED1-D2EC-4978-B8A6-D1C875C8703A.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I use the roll crimp in the seater die and/or the Lee FCD. I honestly can't see any difference on paper. BTW the FCD won't work if you shorten your brass to use the Monoflex or FTX bullets.

The FCD is a good option if you are letting your cases grow but I haven't noticed that they grow very much. Low pressure and having a straight wall case probably helps stabilize case length in the 45-70.

I have several and they get used regularly. Maybe just in my mind, but I feel like it ads to the consistency of the rounds. I’ve never seen a load get worse by using them. Simple and almost idiot-proof. Plus the bullet doesn’t need a cannelure to crimp. It may be tad much, but once I get the crimp I want, I’ll measure with a caliper from the top of the die to the press and record that for future batches.
If only Lee would supply locking die collars.

I use them, especially with anything I think might produce heavy recoil. They work well for me.

If only Lee would supply locking die collars.
They sell you them separately:

1667373457208.png

And I guess they will come with the dies eventually but it's a pain they don't come as standard.

I have used the Hornady lock rings in the past but to get 4 dies with Hornady lock rings on a turret I find you have to file the "corners" down.

Scrummy

I've been loading and shooting 45-70 in my Henry levers for a few years now, but I've always just used the RCBS seater die to crimp. For those who have used the Lee FCD in this caliber, what are your thoughts? I know it will lessen the need to be as exacting on trim length, but is there an accuracy improvement? I'm always open to something better.

Cheers,
Brian
I use a Lee FCD on some loads and the standard roll crimp on others. I have never noticed any difference in accuracy. On a rifle that shoots moa on a good day, it would be hard to see anything that might make a slight improvement (or detriment) to accuracy.

Most of my reloads have so much neck interference or tension that I really don't think they need any crimp at all. My powder fill is usually at the bottom of the bullet and the bullets aren't going to move into the case anyway. But ....... I crimp because it's just a good idea for the lever action cartridges.

All my years of reloading I have only used a roll crimp. One of these days I will invest in a factory crimp die for the 44 Mag and 45-70.

JD338

Back