Less than pleasant subject

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Hi all. I am looking for some advice, I figure if anyone would be able to offer it, you all collectively would be the best bet.

Have any of you ever connected with a game animal and lost it despite your best attempts to recover it? How did you deal with those feelings?

Last evening I was hunting a friend’s private land where I’ve been blessed to be given an Antlerless Deer LOP tag for the third year in a row now. Buck season was very disappointing as I never even got a shot at anything despite covering over 30 miles hiking over the 8 days I took to hunt. About a half hour before shooting light was gone I spied three does, one of which looked dry, and prime for the taking. I was armed with a borrowed .45-70 which I had shot enough to know I needed to keep my shots at 150 yards or less due to the open sights. I stalked these deer until I got within 80 yards. I took a standing rest and calmed my breathing. Settling the front sight just behind the shoulder I squeezed off a shot. The 405 grain factory load seemed to hit well although she humped up and walked into nearby brush. I waited only about five minutes before going after her owing to the nearing of darkness. I went to where she was standing when I shot, tons of blood. I followed her blood trail into the brush and then into a nearby ag field.

The skeletons of thistles in that field were eyeballs deep to me. I kept following the trail until the brush got so thick that I could no longer see more than a few feet in front of me. I began to make circles, larger and larger as I felt mine was a good hit and I would find her shortly. Blood became nearly impossible to find. After nearly two hours of intense searching by flashlight I could not find the deer. I would be back looking today if I wasn’t at the doctors getting an X-ray on a recent work related injury. All I can figure is that I hit her poorly or the bullet didn’t perform properly on this small of an animal. I fully realize the 405 grain is likely designed with bigger game in mind but it’s what they had on hand at the LGS.

It was a long ride back to the house. I called the landowner to tell him what I had done and apologized profusely. He was very forgiving and offered to look for her in my behalf today, though I’ve not heard anything yet. It’s been getting into the high 60’s here during the day so I’m assuming that if she is found, she will be spoiled. I’m sick over it, this makes me feel like $0.02.

Per my questions earlier, is there something I could’ve/should’ve done different besides maybe not taking the shot? The season ends Sunday, should I just eat my tag for what I’ve done?

Looking for constructive criticism here, not shaming. I’m ashamed of myself over this to a greater point than anyone else could imagine. Please keep that in mind when you comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago I shot one buck near last-light, and was unable to find him that night. It was a tough night. I was pretty down in the dumps.

Got back out there next morning and found him pretty doggone close to where I'd given up the night before.

I don't know what else you could have done. I think a tracking dog is great for situations like that, but often that's not a legal option.

Guy

If you do this sport long enough, it’s a certain eventuality you’ll experience what you’re going through. Hunting tests every facet of us. It’s hard because while we feel we are in control, we actually control so very little of it.

If you know you took an ethical shot inside your skill set, and you know you did everything you could to recover the animal, you need to try to find your peace there and use your grief to fuel your efforts to be the best hunter you can for the next time out.

Unfortunately, it happens. I was a victim myself, just last fall. Shot a decent buck at about 50 yards with a 45-70. He ran off, and I lost sight of him. Got down from my stand, found some blood, and followed it for about 100 yards. At that point, he crossed a stream, and there was no more blood to be found. My buddies came and helped to search, but we were unable to find the deer, or even know for sure which direction he had gone. There was no snow on the ground, which didn't help things any. The only thing I can think is that I pulled the shot low, and it passed thru without hitting anything vital. I hope he survived and recovered, but I'll probably never know.

If you are satisfied that you did everything you could do, don't beat yourself up over it.

If a guy says he's never lost one...he hasn't shot at very many. We do all we can to prevent it..but it happens.

I hit a depredation deer right behind the shoulder with a .223 that I could drive tacks with. A lot of blood, but no deer. Best I figure, the bullet blew up before penetrating far enough. I looked for three days, to no avail.

If there was a whole lot of blood, I'd bet the doe is piled up back in that tall thistle. It's amazing how easy it is for one to vanish in poor light. I'd look again in the daylight just to be sure and evaluate the blood trail again.

That said, if you're in an area with a lot of deer and you can't find it. Take another crack it- I've seen deer survive some incredible wounds and do just fine.

Yes it's a sick feeling. Been there hope not to be in that situation tommorrow, anyone who hunts a lot has this happen. I am amazed at the distance some animals can travel with a good hit and some just fold up.

As others have said if you gave it your best effort to find the deer than don't be hard on yourself just let it make you better next time. Go and enjoy the rest of your season. Dan.

I spent a night looking for a whitetail doe myself. But I’ve also spent days killing hogs.

I can’t say either is ideal. Sometimes just a part of it you have to get through. Life is messy and violent!

Yea. Been there done that. Just get back at it.

Nothing restores confidence like gutting the next one.

Thanks fellas. You’ve been very gracious. The only solace I’ve been able to find is that I know I did my best and in spite of that, things still went south.

Called the landowner this evening, he went and poked around but found nothing. Maybe something else packed her off overnight or she wasn’t as hurt as I thought.

This wasn’t the first time this has happened to me, but the third in my 22 years of big game hunting. This one just struck me a little harder I guess. I’m getting over it, just gonna take some time.

Thanks for commenting.

I have lost a couple in my time. I rely on others to do my tracking if need be, so it always bothers me when things go south. Not that I could do better tracking, only that others are really invested in my "success". One such was outlined in a post I wrote years ago (when they don't go down...). In that situation I made a couple of poor decisions. I do not think that you did!
Deer are fantastic creatures that can do "super deer" things. I always take "bullet performance" tests with a grain of salt, for example because all things are never equal. You've also done enough hunting to know that they can take 4 steps and disappear.

The rancher where I took my first deer found it with the chisel plow a week after I shot it. Maybe if you can go back with a buddy and take a look again? If you still cant find it you may feel better, if you do find it at least you will have that closure.

Most important, find something else to hunt and stay in the game! Your shared experience has great value for all. Thanks for posting. CL

There is 10x more meat that goes to waste in people’s freezers than in nature where nothing goes to waste. It happens. We accept what may happen when we go afield or to water. The day we stop caring is the day to worry about it.

Ride on friend.

I am very happy that is is not just an option, but an obligation to to follow wounded game with a dog over here. A well trained dog goes for miles if it has the scent.

Another option that helped me a few times is a thermal camara.
Deer lay under a young pine, I would have walked right by.
With the thermal, there was a bright spot I just had to walk up to.
Yes, good ones cost a few bucks.
But they help spotting game long before you see them with binoculars, too.
Might be an option if dogs are not available/allowed

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I have been fortunate in that all my years hunting, mostly deer and just elk the last few years that I have lost only two animals, both deer. The first deer was shot in 1973 at roughly 8AM, decent sized Nevada Mule deer. Rifle was a 7x57 M93 sporter using the Federal 175 gr. RN. Shot was at fairly close range, about 35-40 yards and the hit was good. I found some blood but the trail petered out rather quickly and after about a half hour of looking, I went home (7 miles away) and got my wife to help look. We quit when it got too dark to see anymore and went home. I went out the next day to see if I could locate it and found it by the birds. That deer had traveled much farther away from where it as hit that I would have thought possible. The coyotes didn't leave much.

Deer number two was I guess 19 years ago. Easy shot and the deer took off into a gully. I had to climb up the ridge to look down into the gully and on the way up my right foot went one way and the rest of me another. The pain was so bad I couldn't get up and walk. My son in law and his son came up to me nd I told them I had a deer down in the gully and would you please go get it for me. They refused :x saying it was more important to get me off the hill and to a hospital. Rifle this time was an M70 FWT in 7x57 running a 140 gr. Ballistic Tip at 2800 FPS.

It seems the 7x57 is either a lousy cartridge to hunt with (which I doubt) or incredibly bad luck or is it just a jinx round for me and why am I thinking about using it on my next elk hunt??????

Paul B.

hodgeman said:
If a guy says he's never lost one...he hasn't shot at very many. We do all we can to prevent it..but it happens.

EXACTLY.

I have no idea about your dog laws there, but dogs are your best friend in the field --blood trails, protection, early warning, bird retrieval , companion, depending on your laws something to consider in the future --and if you hunt a lot, it will happen again

Unfortunately it you hunt long enough you will eventually loose one. It does stink very bad, and makes you feel like crap. But you went above and beyond trying to find the deer. And the fact you tried your best to recover the animal should make you proud.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As stated by others. It will happen. Keep in mind that nothing goes to waste in nature. You might not get it but something will. I’m sure shortly after you gave up some other critter was feasting shortly there after.

I know this is an old post but the original post sounds so familiar to me. Several years ago I wanted to take a deer with my C Sharps 45-70 and a 405 grain cast bullet. I had a doe come out at about 70-80 yards and she was quartering slightly away. My thoughts for the quickest kill was to put the bullet through both lungs and break the off shoulder on the way out. At the shot the deer did a 180 and went back to the north where she came from. I searched so couldn’t find blood. I went back to the point of the shot and found hair but only a couple of drops of blood. I called my cousin to help and we searched every trail in the direction of travel we could find but no deer. This was on a Saturday. On the following Wednesday my cousin and I were together and leaving my house. Across the road at the opposite side of the pasture and about 500 yards from where the shot was taken I saw a deer laying in the pasture. The first thought was a poacher had shot it. We went out to check and it was my deer. The entrance was a little farther back in the ribs than I wanted and the exit was behind the shoulder instead of through it. She had ran north at the shot and die 500 yards to the south. The estimated distance of travel without me being able to see her is a minimum of 700-800 yards.

To add to this old post:
This past season I shot at a buck with my 280AI using 140gr TTSX and I don't know what happened. I couldn't find any blood, but I do not know how I could have missed since it was only at about 50 yards and I had a good, clean shot. Maybe there was some brush that I didn't see in between me and it, but I doubt it. I looked for the guy for the next couple days, but brush got really thick and I couldn't go any further. I hope I missed, but I don't think I did. I know he went back into the earth if I did hit him, but darn do I still feel sick about it.

Back