Leupold VXR scopes?

Darkhorse

Handloader
Mar 14, 2014
Looking at a lot of scopes for my old 7mm Mag. and I'm wondering about this one.
Leupold VX R 4X14X40 with the Ballistic dot reticle. These are 30mm tubes.
Just thinking; I'm wanting magnification in this range. Plus.
No side focus but I think I can deal with it. Minus.
Lighted fiber optic dot for late shooting. Plus.
Ballistic reticle will give an option for long range shooting but retain the lighted dot for when the light goes in the PM. Plus.
It looks like it will fit the bill and cheaper than a V3 long range.

Any opinions or thoughts on this scope?

I have a 3-9 BFD TMR and it's nice my issue was dealing with mRad but I am getting better with that the VXR P is a 4-12 and go check them out as I think you will like them nothing bad to say about VXR's !

Are Leupold's Mil/Mil, MOA/MOA or do they blend them? It seems the ones I have looked at are blended. Eventually for my Savage 10 TR I would like to get either a higher end Vortex or Leupold.

We placed a VX-R on top of my Son's 270win. He absolutely loves it, he has bit of sight impairment & the illuminated firedot is exactly what he needed. He advised that it really works well in low light situations..

Blessings,
Dan

I have the 3-9x40 with the fire dot. The scope is extremely bright and clear, it's the only 30mm I own and I can see why guys are liking them. The brightness control for the fire dot is user friendly and fairly easy to manipulate in the field. While doing range work i turned the fire dot off completely, found it a little distracting on paper targets, though it really draws your eye to the center when looking at black haired hogs in the twilight and excels in situations where rapid target aquisition is a priority. I looked at the ballistic fire dot and thought it was a little too busy for my tastes, I believe they make them with a cds option which I prefer. Mine is going to Africa with my brother this fall. He purchased the 2-7 version for his 375 and thinks it's the cats a$$, will be using it for buffalo. He swindled me out of the 3-9 for use on his 308 for antelope and such so he could run the same optic on both of his rigs. Should have an interesting field report when he gets back. All in all I feel it's a solid piece of glass, works as advertised and shows the kind of quality I was expecting.

I've got the VXR 1.25x4 #4 reticle on my 45-70. Love everything about the scope. I'd do more VXRs in a heartbeat. I think they are some of the best value for the money going right now.

I have used the 3-9 VX-R extensively, and I really like it. It's a great scope for the money and has really shown me the value of an illuminated reticle

I agree with Rodell. I think the VXRs pack a lot of value into an optic. Very happy with mine and would buy another in a heartbeat.

I am just waiting for a set of Talley for the new Model 70 and then my Son's VX-R is coming of his 270win and going on his 270WSM.
He advised that best scope he has ever used since he had a eye injury, he has trouble in low light picking up the reticle against the hide of the animal. He advised that the illuminated reticle really helps him.
I would not hesitate to pick up another one.

Blessings,
Dan

Back