Likin' my 257 Roberts!

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Today was the traditional "general" season opener here in PA. We get one buck a year, and I'd used my tag on a nice 8pt in archery season, so I was out looking for antlerless deer only.

The weather was unseasonably warm. I got up at 5AM to find the temp at 53 degree. got myself sorted out, ate a quick bowl of cereal, got dressed, and headed for the door after kissing my wife and newborn daughter goodbye (Bella gets up around 5 for "breakfast", lol).

I was running a little later than I wanted. I planned to be in my stand and settled by 6am, and I pulled in to park just before 6, but I only had about a walk of about 300 yards or so to my stand. I was settled in and sitting quiet by 6:15. There was some light in the east, but usable light was some time off yet. Shooting time was 6:35AM.

Here's the sunrise I was enjoying (sorry it's blurry, I didn't see on the digital cam's screen that it was blurred):

sunrise.jpg

Sometime after 8, about in the center of the woods pictured above, I heard movement. That picture was shot looking back over my right shoulder. I turned and saw a doe approaching at about 40 yards. I switched the rifle to shoot lefty, but she was where she'd bust me if I tried to bring it to bear. I saw more deer behind her, 5 more, actually, so I wanted to let her keep walking. The wind was light, and going in the direction of right to left as you look at the sunrise pic. Should be good if I don't move.

Well, the rambunctious squirrels that were enjoying the warm temps caught her attention, and she locked up to listen and figure out what was making the rustling ahead of her. As she spent several minutes doing this, the wind shifted to go directly how the pic is pointed, which meant right to the deer. The two mature lead does were lifting their noses in no time, and then decided to go somewhere other than where they were. They turned and trotted right into my shooting lane (not pictured, but to the right as you look at the pic)and went straight away on the lane. Whenever a deer turned to look back, there were at least two others right on top of her. No way to shoot....so I watched them amble back to the safety of the "sanctuary" we've established on our hunting property.

My dad had offered to let me take his 357 revolver, and I was tempted to, but decided not to bother. I could have shot this doe with the revolver, no problem. They were on my right (strong hand for pistol shooting) side at 30 yards. I can make that shot, no problem. Was second-guessing not having the pistol, for sure!

Maybe 45 minutes later, I see a deer in the valley below me.....after a quick inspection with the bino's, I decide I think it's the "dumb one" we kept seeing in this area. I'd been seeing it since August, and it was a spotted fawn then. It was D-U-M-B. Would let me walk up to about 20 yards or sometimes less and just look at me when I'd be pruning lanes or planting food plots. I let it walk over the far ridge, only to hear a rifle crack just after it disappeared.

I heard some shooting in the area, but not much. Surely not much compared to years ago when it sounded like a firefight practically.

A bit after 10, I see movement below me in the valley I'm watching, and there's a deer headed from the bank I'm on over to the bottom I'm watching. I watch her cross the access road right below my stand, but couldn't check for buttons. I could have dropped her right on an access road at that point!

Then the smaller one following comes out. Not small, but smallER. After watching for about 30 seconds, I decide the bigger deer is a doe and the smaller one is ok on its own.

I wait for an opening, settle the crosshairs, and let the 257 Roberts bark. The doe is dropped immediately, starts back up on her front legs, then collapses and it's over.

Here are a couple of pics:

2011doe_2.jpg

2011doe.jpg

I shot her with a my late grandfather's Winchester M70 featherweight in 257 Roberts using a Nosler AccuBond, 110gr flavor, on top of 45.0gr of RL22. This has produced outstanding accuracy in this rifle. In the past, my dad owned a 257 Roberts and we had spotty bullet performance. I gotta say, the AccuBond performed like a champ. The bullet went in about mid-way from the hip to the ribs, just missing the spine. It came out just behind the opposite shoulder.

The lungs had a nickel-sized tunnel bored through them. Blood POURED out her nose when I lifted up her head (which is why it's tilted back in the pic, so obscure the mess!).

The AccuBond traversed the deer's body cavity diagonally, producing a nickel-sized exit wound and no evidence of fragmentation at all. The deer was absolutely PARKED on impact.

I got the deer off to the butcher, did some prep for the evening hunt, and then spent the last 35 minutes of hunting time with my two big girls, Megan and Anna (below, Anna's in the foreground, Megan in the background):

girls.jpg

Temps were in the mid-60's, so it was a great day to get them out. You can't see it in the pic, but we're sitting under a dropped treetop that's overgrown with vines. We're looking out over a corn stubble field. The girls had a ball, as we talked (as quietly as we could) about different aspects of hunting and nature to pass the time while sitting. Didn't see any deer,that was ok...the kids loved being out there with me, and that's a great start!

Today was the first time EVER that I swatted mosquitoes while rifle hunting in PA!

All in all, a great first day for rifle season, and a fantastic season so far.

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing, looks like a nice size doe.

Corey

Tom, that's a great story, and it really illustrates the joy and frustration of hunting. That has been what I've come to appreciate the most about being in the woods - how I've got to work to outsmart these "dumb animals" in order to get a shot. How is it that I'm the smart one, and yet I end up crawling around on my belly, or covered in moss, leaves, and whatever else falls off the tree I'm climbing, or swatting bugs (in Alabama, it's a tradition during early rifle season!), or muddy up to my knees getting to my stand? Either way, that's what has started driving my passion/obsession to be in the woods. Sounds like you've got a bad case of it, as well. Great story!

Also, glad you had a good time with your girls. My son is less interested in deer hunting now, because it's boring for an 11yr old, apparently. My youngest daughter, on the other hand, is all about when she gets "old enough" to go hunting with Daddy. I'm thinking she may be old enough for an afternoon hunt nowadays. Time to pull out some of my son's old camo and fit her up. Nice hats on the girls, too. Too cute with their little binoculars and all!

dubyam":2o8ej4do said:
Tom, that's a great story, and it really illustrates the joy and frustration of hunting. That has been what I've come to appreciate the most about being in the woods - how I've got to work to outsmart these "dumb animals" in order to get a shot. How is it that I'm the smart one, and yet I end up crawling around on my belly, or covered in moss, leaves, and whatever else falls off the tree I'm climbing, or swatting bugs (in Alabama, it's a tradition during early rifle season!), or muddy up to my knees getting to my stand? Either way, that's what has started driving my passion/obsession to be in the woods. Sounds like you've got a bad case of it, as well. Great story!

Also, glad you had a good time with your girls. My son is less interested in deer hunting now, because it's boring for an 11yr old, apparently. My youngest daughter, on the other hand, is all about when she gets "old enough" to go hunting with Daddy. I'm thinking she may be old enough for an afternoon hunt nowadays. Time to pull out some of my son's old camo and fit her up. Nice hats on the girls, too. Too cute with their little binoculars and all!

Yeah, Megan is really suffering with those Zeiss Conquest bino's she had on her neck!!! ;)

I had my Meopta's on my harness, she carried my Zeiss that I keep in the glove box in the truck.

I saw 11 deer total till I got down after shooting the doe. A buddy of my dad's hunted my stand this morning and had 7 come bed right near him. It's a great spot. No one believed it when I put that stand up, but I shot a great buck from it the first year (2009), only saw a few deer last year, but it came alive again this year. Just on a great natural travel corridor, AND it can see all our food plots (2 big ones and one small one).

That doe taped 38" around her chest....which gives her an estimated live weight of 166lbs. That's a mature doe here. I've shot a couple bigger than that, I think one hit 39", but most are 34"-36". She was likely at least 2.5 yrs old...I didn't think to keep a jaw, but I should have looked at the teeth.

I'm REALLY happy to see the 257 shine. That rifle is what my girls will start hunting with, and it's shooting fantastically well, and put the smack down on that doe with ease. I think my girls have a good setup to start out with. Megan may start getting to be the shooter next year. She just turned 9. She's a good shot with a 22 and a small bow. If she can work up to the 257, I'll take her along to shoot next year. We may start with turkeys this spring...my old man has a 20ga I think she can handle with lighter loads. Just gotta get the gobbler to get to 20 yards, I'd think. She's really stoked about it, so hopefully we can get her ready!

Tom,

Excellent account. I was in the treestand with you. I was amused, however, at the difference in temperatures and light. It now gets light about 8:30 here, and this is a warm day of 24 F today (I'm actually wearing short sleeves and a vest). I'll be out for another deer tomorrow, and I won't even be in my AO until about 8:15. Congratulations on an excellent hunt. It was neat just to know that you had the abundance of deer you reported. That is fantastic. Also, it is great to anticipate having your daughters hunt with you shortly. Neither of my girls hunted with me, but each spent many hours fishing and wading streams when they were younger. Congratulations on passing on a wonderful heritage to your girls.

Tom, great story! Man, it was an awesome hunt. Your rifle and load have performed excellent.. Seems like Nosler is making some inroads into a Hornady guy!!! :twisted:

Your daughters look cute as a button. Can't wait to hear about them taking up that little 257 Roberts against those danged PA deer! Great story and hunt. You did well! Scotty

Tom,

Congraqtulations on your doe. Glad you had success with yoour 257 Bob. Great round and a beautiful rifle.
Nice story and pictures. Looks like your girls had a lot of fun hunting with Dad. Very cool buddy. 8)

JD338

Well done Dad! Beautiful girls and a nice rifle.... Sounds like you had a great time. CL

Thanks, guys.

Hard to really admit this, but the damage done by the 257 looked just a little less than what my '06 does with a GMX bullet. With the 257, there was a wound channel through the lungs. With the '06, there's a soda can sized tunnel through them, or they're in chunks.

My big relief here is seeing the great penetration and structural integrity of the AccuBond. That was the big problem we'd had with the 257 in the past.....bullets just wouldn't reliably hold together.

I really liked the performance of the Partition in my 300WSM on the one deer I've shot with it so far, and I'm really, really happy to see the Bob perform like it did yesterday. I feel much more confident now in letting my girls hunt with it when they get old enough.

I have a home for a deer and one more tag. I'm torn...I want to take the flintlock, but another notch for the 257and the AB to really show me it's stuff would be really nice. I have till a week from Sat, then can get back at it from the day after Christmas until the end of January. That late season often is some of the best hunting, actually. I'd like to see one out at about 150-200 and see what the AB does.

Tom, what was the muzzle velocity of your 110 load? Just wondering.

I would love to see you smoke another with the 257. That is a really cool rifle. I would be elated to finds its twin I think. With the long magazine, it would nip pretty hard on the 25-06, although, I do still have a set of 25-06 dies!!!! Man, I gotta stop.. My head is hurting! Scotty

beretzs":2o85dpm0 said:
Tom, what was the muzzle velocity of your 110 load? Just wondering.

I would love to see you smoke another with the 257. That is a really cool rifle. I would be elated to finds its twin I think. With the long magazine, it would nip pretty hard on the 25-06, although, I do still have a set of 25-06 dies!!!! Man, I gotta stop.. My head is hurting! Scotty

Apparently, the mag isn't as long in my M70 as it is on a 700 Classic in 257, though. JD I think said he has one of those, and he can seat a bit longer than I can, runs more powder than I can, too, since he's not using up as much case with bullet.

I didn't get to chrony the 257, unfortunately. The day I was running my rounds over it, I got all the rifles done BUT the 257 and was literally setting up to do just that when it started to pour. Chrony's don't work in the rain, I found, lol.

I'll do it at some point.

I'd guess 2700, give or take, based on book values and subtracting some for my shorter barrel.

Makes sense to me Tom. It'll surely be a great deer killer for your daughters and the recoil has to be next to nothing. Scotty

If you want to keep those deer from winding you use either coon or red fox urine as a cover sent. Where I hunt in NC I use red fox. I spray some on my boot soles for walking into my stand and when I get to the stand I have a couple 35mm film bottles with cotton balls in them soaked in the red fox urine that I set or hang around the stand. Deer pay you no mind because they are use to that sent not being an alarm to them. Coon urine works just as good be to me smells a bit worse. I keep my bottles in a zip lock bag for transport. I have even had deer trail me to my stand like a dog smelling the fox urine. They are curious buggers. But like the old saying, "curiosity killed the cat" has done in a number of deer for me. :mrgreen: It has been my experience that any 25 cal rifle from 250 Savage up is a real deer killer. I shoot a 25-06 most of the time now.

Tom,

You are correct, my 700 Classic is a long action so I seat the bullts way out there.
My MV is 2974 fps.

JD338

Thanks for sharing that story and the great photos. The kids look great. Something cool about kids in hunter orange.

The Model 70 looks great too. Maybe 25 years ago a buddy of mine bought a .257 Roberts/Win 70 Featherweight and I thought it was one of the coolest hunting rifles I'd ever seen. Congrats on the doe, and more importantly on a great hunt!

Regards, Guy

"Bobs" ARE cool !!!!!!!!!!!

My very first highpowered rifle was a full-length Mauser-actioned .257 . I shot California's blacktails, ground hogs, tree-rats, coyotes and jack-rabbits with that little rifle. It let the air outa those deer like stickin' a needle in a ballon :grin: :grin: .

Then I rebarreled it to a .270 and my whole world changed forever!

Jim

Good story and pics. Great to see your girls out with you. Their smiles don't look forced whatsoever.

Glad to see you've built up your confidence with that rifle after your father's disappointing results. Sounds like it did a very humane job on that nice doe. I'm hoping for the same type of performance from the 115gr NPs in my Bob.

I was out in Pa that morning too and it was way too warm for my liking. Beautiful day, just not the usual hunting weather. Tuesday made up for it by being absolutely nasty. Good luck with your remaining tag.

td, I wouldn't worry too much about the standard chamber in the featherweight. My 700 Classic isn't that much longer. You should still be able to fill the case and compress the powder with that 110 AccuBond. My load is 49 grains of Reloder 22 and it is a compressed load. I get well over 3000 fps chrono'd and no pressure problems. H-4831sc is also a great powder and gives 3000+ possibilities. I loaded 48grs of 4831 with the 117 Sierra BT for many years. Continued good luck on your hunts and have a wonderful holiday season with your family.

That Bob is an incredibly cool cartridge no matter what rifle its chambered in, but the M70 FW you've got there is DA BOMB! I love it!

Good story & pics as well!

Back