Looking for a Quickload tutorial...

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
I finally invested in QuickLoad and have been playing with it way too much. I have figured out how to edit the powder lists, bullet lists, and cartridge lists so far. I have also figured out how to adjust weighting factor, powder Ba to help match predictions to actual findings. Working on figuring out different firearm setups.

First question. I want to set up a wildcat cartridge that is not included in the cartridge list. I don't have QuickDesign to draw it up and transfer it. What I am looking for is a 7-300 win mag. What I did was copy the 300 win mag data line

.300 Win. Mag.(W) ","93.8","2.62",".308",".5","47.32","430","Piezo CIP","3.34","","","","","","","","","","","","300WINMA.jpg"

and then modified it to my predicted 7-300 win mag case

"7 mm-300 Win. Mag.(W) ","91.8","2.62",".284",".55","40.39","460","Piezo CIP","3.605","","","","","","","","","","","","300WINMA.jpg"

and added it to my "caliber" list. It seems to work quite well. Is this valid enough to estimate the performance of the case? Or would I need to find a better way or beg for someone to develop a file through QuickDesign?

Second question. I have read about most powders being fairly close to the real world, but a few aren't. The one I see referenced regularly is Varget. My question is this... My "wildcat cartridge" seems fairly consistent with other people's load data when evaluating H1000, but not as close when evaluating Retumbo. Many Retumbo loads run by other reloaders are 4 grains less than what QL predicts. Anything funny with Retumbo in QL? Or do I just need to be patient and establish a baseline lower charge with muzzle velocity and then start adjusting QL?

Third question. Anyone have any neat tricks or shortcuts for the novice user? I seem to be struggling a bit on data management, ie. saving loads and organizing how I use the program.

Thanks in advance

Nate

Nate, I can't tell you much about what your trying with QL but I will tell you that H1000 and Retumbo will rock in your 7-300. They work awesome in my Mashburn and both cases are virtually identical.

That is good news. Thought about picking up some RL 33 to try as well, but am concerned about temperature sensitivity. I will hold off on that until I see if I am happy with either H1000 or Retumbo.

Can't help you with the setup for the cartridge, sorry. (I had issues figuring it out so I bought QuickDesign :grin: )it seems to me the way you set it up should work fine.
Your plan for a baseline with Retumbo is correct. You already have capacity etc. Once you run a series of 8-10 across the chrono it should also give you an average to work from. You're going to probably want to adjust the weighting down as the case is overbore by QuickLoad standards. Probably a .33.
If you have Ba figured, overbore, and all the other stuff you've been messing with, then read up on the temp adjustment (lower left of the same box Ba is in)
Most of the neat tricks are in the QuickLoad Questions thread stuck up at the top of this (reloading) section.
Anything else I can do let me know or PM.

I did a few cartridges and modified a few in QL- there is a selection that you can start that will allow you to enter the wildcat dimensions and angles and it will spit out its case capacity weighting factor estimates- I think i discussed it in the QL thread.

Secondly, I am finding that QL is a little of when dealing with large amounts of ball powder. I think it has something to do with the point where the powder goes from progressive(?) to regressive.

Also, set up your rifles with twist rate. Without doing so, it calculates everything based off a .308 1:10 twist. Nothing major, but does have some effect in some caliber's. Thing is, you have to remember to change it for the caliber and reload the cartridge because it doesn't change on its own and estimates are very off.

To create a new cartridge- go up to Data: Add,Change, Load, Save > Case Caliber data> chane data records in current file.

Select the .300 Win. Mag cartridge from the list to populate the fields and then highlight .300 Win Mag. and rename it to 7 mm-300 Win. Mag.

Click on Save New.

Click on the calc button button that is next to "case capacity overflow."

There you can enter your cases dimensions and click the button that says calculate. once everything jives, a new button will appear that says apply and exit. The calculated numbers are brought over into the cartridge data window. Here you can make your adjustments- such as the weighting factor. pressure, case length, etc. Click on add new and choose to overwrite.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. Checked out both links. Wyo, thanks for the walk through on creating a cartridge, it worked slick.

Back