LR shooting scope help

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I need your help ladies and gents. I am looking into a scope for a designated LR rig (FN SPR in 308). Use will be mainly for target shooting/steel punching and maybe a hunt or two.

If it featured a FFP reticle, MIL/MIL adjustments, and either a 30mm or 34mm tube that would be ideal. Glass on par with my Zeiss's would be awesome.

I have been lurking on SnipersHide and one of the scopes that comes recommended a lot is the Bushnell DMR with the G2 reticle. I have also been looking into a Kahles or a Steiner...

What else is out there that you would recommend?

Have you looked at the Leupold VX-6 series?
Pretty good glass and a 6:1 zoom ratio.

JD338

Or break the bank with a US Optics...

Best doggone long range scope I ever used. No, I didn't buy it.

I think it's 3 or 4 hundred bucks cheaper here than anywhere else and it is a lotta scope for any rifle and my Mark 4 6.5-20x50 ER/T is getting cerakoted and should be ready next week and will set atop my Chris Kyle 300 Win mag Accumark and will be MagPul FDE like the metal on the rifle! Getting the rings and rail done as well so it should turn out ok I hope!

I sure like nightforce . I have the 5.5-22x50 on the 7mm-08 , and the 8-32x56 on the 338 .

There is no doubt that NF is a real top notch scope. My cousin's boy had one on his Laupa & he just couldn't say enough good things about it. He advised me he is real close to purchasing a 300 H&H :wink: and stated he will be placing that new model NF on top. He advised that it is right around 1,000.00 that is cheap for a NF.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks all. Nightforce has been on the radar. How is the glass compared to the Conquests?

Also, what is an ideal magnification range? Since this is going to be for hunting/targets, I was thinking of keeping it under 20x if possible?

I'm not sure how far you plan on shooting , but one thing to keep in mind is the amount of elevation the scope has .I think it's called " internal adjustment" . I could look for sure but I think the 5.5-22 NXS has 100 moa of travel , so from center it goes up 50 moa and down 50 moa . my 8-32 I think has 65 moa of travel , so 32 up and 32 down from center . you can use scope mounting rails that have moa built in to give you more up elevation and loose some down adjustment . in a perfect world the 65 moa scope with a 20 moa rail you would get 12 moa down , and 52 moa up . these are all from scope center , chances of the scope being centered after you sight in are slim . my scopes are both SFP . I have the NPR1 reticle in both scopes . this reticle is true at 22 power on BOTH scopes . I think the 8 power on the low end is a little high for hunting unless you are dedicated to only taking longer shots .
I have a few conquest scopes , I feel the glass is better in the nightforce . I've never looked through a S&B , march , U S optics ,or a lot of others , so I have no opinion on this comparison .
if I can offer some more advice , get the zero stop , it's well worth the money .

ajvigs":jgaunkkt said:
Thanks all. Nightforce has been on the radar. How is the glass compared to the Conquests?

Also, what is an ideal magnification range? Since this is going to be for hunting/targets, I was thinking of keeping it under 20x if possible?

When you say "long range", how far are you talking? "Tactical" scopes have become very popular for long range stuff, but for a rifle that is going to do double-duty as a hunting rifle, the weight, size, and objective diameter that the tactical scope market is gravitating towards can get be a significant detriment for hunting if a person does a lot of hiking. I've got a Leica 3.5-14x42 that has glass that is second to none, is compact and weighs only 18 ounces, will get me out to 800 yds with the elevation turret alone, and 1000 yds using a combo of the elevation turret and reticle. (Designed for hunting, it's SFP and only has 32 MOA of internal adjustment.) If I were going to shoot 1000+ yds a lot and wanted awesome glass, FFP, a lot of internal adjustment, a mag range that works for precision target AND hunting, and is a light, compact package for hunting, the March 3-24x42 or 3-24x52 FFP scopes would be on my short list. It's tough to find all the advantages of a "tactical" scope in a lighter weight package that a person will look forward to packing around for hunting.

maverick2":1wzncdr3 said:
ajvigs":1wzncdr3 said:

When you say "long range", how far are you talking? "Tactical" scopes have become very popular for long range stuff, but for a rifle that is going to do double-duty as a hunting rifle, the weight, size, and objective diameter that the tactical scope market is gravitating towards can get be a significant detriment for hunting if a person does a lot of hiking. I've got a Leica 3.5-14x42 that has glass that is second to none, is compact and weighs only 18 ounces, will get me out to 800 yds with the elevation turret alone, and 1000 yds using a combo of the elevation turret and reticle. (Designed for hunting, it's SFP and only has 32 MOA of internal adjustment.) If I were going to shoot 1000+ yds a lot and wanted awesome glass, FFP, a lot of internal adjustment, a mag range that works for precision target AND hunting, and is a light, compact package for hunting, the March 3-24x42 or 3-24x52 FFP scopes would be on my short list. It's tough to find all the advantages of a "tactical" scope in a lighter weight package that a person will look forward to packing around for hunting.

For distance, since its gonna be on a 308, I would say for targets maybe 800-850 max. Hunting shots would be kept inside of 400.

I have been eyeing scopes in the 15x max magnification range. Nightforce has their FFP model, Premier has their 3-15 light tactical, Steiner has their 3-15, and Kahles has ther 3-12. Right now the Steiner 3-15 and the Kahles have the eye of my attention; with the Kahles at the top of the list. FFP, mil/mil, and the glass (from what I have read) is awesome.

The Leica you mentioned though has me interested. The FN SPR comes with a Near MFG 20 MOA base, and that should work. Ill have to look into it.

Thanks,

A.J.

ajvigs":3n2wczbk said:
maverick2":3n2wczbk said:
ajvigs":3n2wczbk said:

For distance, since its gonna be on a 308, I would say for targets maybe 800-850 max. Hunting shots would be kept inside of 400.

I have been eyeing scopes in the 15x max magnification range. Nightforce has their FFP model, Premier has their 3-15 light tactical, Steiner has their 3-15, and Kahles has ther 3-12. Right now the Steiner 3-15 and the Kahles have the eye of my attention; with the Kahles at the top of the list. FFP, mil/mil, and the glass (from what I have read) is awesome.

The Leica you mentioned though has me interested. The FN SPR comes with a Near MFG 20 MOA base, and that should work. Ill have to look into it.

Thanks,

A.J.

I can definitely understand the interest in the Kahles 3-12x50 -- everyone I've talked to that has one loves it. If you wanting a tactical style FFP scope that you can use to hunt, that one will be tough to beat. (I've heard more than one person say it's superior to any 3-15 FFP scope they've looked at...)

The Leica would be just the opposite in a lot of respects -- more of a hunting style SFP scope that you can use for long range shooting. Each will have their limitations -- I tend to like SFP for hunting and the size, weight, and eye relief of the Leica were a big plus. The availability of the target turret on the elevation, MOA clicks on the turret, and the MOA based IBS reticle makes the Leica work well for me for long range stuff out to about 1000 yds. The Leica with the SFP and MOA/MOA doesn't fit your initial specs very well (other than the awesome glass), but would be an alternate means to achieve what you want to do, at a lot less $. (Because of its limited internal adjustment, the Leica's long range capabilities are going to end around 1000 yds.) Leica's 3.5-14x42 has been discontinued in favor of their illuminated models, so specs are a little harder to come by now, but if you are interested in finding one, OpticAuthority is probably your best bet.
http://www.opticauthority.com/leica-er-riflescopes.aspx
The one I own is the "TT IBS -- model 51025" at the bottom of the page. Good luck with your shopping!

Back