M77 Hawkeye 338 WM Range Day

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
After waiting for the cold front to blow threw so the wind would settle down some I was able to make it to the range today to sight in the new to me M77 338Wm.
I have to admit I was a little anxious due to all the talk about how the 338 WM was a real kicker. Well I must admit I was surprised to find out that it is as bad as some would have had me beleave or at least not in this factory stock combination though I did chage the recoil pad by swapping the one of a Weatherby stock I happen to have sitting in the corner which was left over from a previous restocking job.
My load was a middle of the chart Hornady #II manual load with a 225gr Spire point and 65.0grs of H4350 for around 2600fps. and the felt recoil was lighter than with my 35/AI with the same bullet weight but 150fps faster.
I did a bore sighting at 25yds and then fired a round to check for center, 10 o-clock .0579" out so a slight windage and elevation adjustment and out to 50yds. Opps went the wrong way 2.183" in the wrong direction so readjust and shoot again, 7 o-clock .457", slight elevation adjustment and out to 100yds, 10 o-clock .400" off center 2 clicks right and fire for affect. next 2 went side by side almost in the same hole at 3 o-clock .400" out of center. Now I'm a happy camper but still had to mess with the knobs next shot went at 2 o-clock 2" out and adjusted again and put the last shot at 12 o-clock 1.400" high right where I wanted it.
I had 9 more rounds loaded but decided to save 6 of them because I couldn't get my chronograph to read do to heavy cloud cover and was getting error messages but wanted to see just how bad it would kick so I picked out the 3 heaviest powder charges with the 225gr Spire point 69.5grs H4831 and sent them down range. Hornady says that load is right around 2700fps and I could hardly tell the difference in recoil. Thoe 3 shots were at 12 o-oclock just above the target paster and measured 1.543"X.822" with a little tinkering this will shrink
I was surprised to see how this rifle handled different powder charges and basically shot to the same point of impact, 100fps doesn't seem to change anything and also a different powder, H4350- H4831.
Can hardly wait to go again just to see what it can do.
I did float the barrel in this stock since when I took it down for cleaning I found the stock was rubbing the barrel so I gave it a little clearance and put it back together. The front action screw was torqued to 65inlbs and the tang screw to 45inlbs with the center screw just snug.

I have always noticed how Hornady always gives a seating depth for their bullets and knew it was off the base but it never crossed my mind to measure the distance from the base to the canular ( crimp groove ) and it is the exact same as specified and the pictures on the load page are exactly the same measurements.
So you see and old dog can still learn new things. (y)

Attachments

• KIMG0305.jpg
    KIMG0305.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,711
now that it's on paper , it's time to get serious . I'll be watching to see how this works out for you .

Thanks Jim here's another group that was fired today. I had these seated long but from my sight in ammo the bullet likes to be seated to the crimp groove and is what Hornady recommends.

Attachments

• KIMG0306.jpg
    KIMG0306.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,677
Glad to see you out shooting that puppy. Also glad to hear it's not beating you up, but... Don't put that Ruger pad back on! I started with the factory pad on mine and it convinced me it needed replacing. Lighter bullet loads weren't bad but when I got up to full house 225's around 2900fps and especially 250's around 2800fps it really got my attention.

Silent Sam":d37vsq51 said:
Glad to see you out shooting that puppy. Also glad to hear it's not beating you up, but... Don't put that Ruger pad back on! I started with the factory pad on mine and it convinced me it needed replacing. Lighter bullet loads weren't bad but when I got up to full house 225's around 2900fps and especially 250's around 2800fps it really got my attention.
I don't plan on putting the factory pad back on but will get an air cell or decelerator for it.
Guy Miner":d37vsq51 said:
Good shooting! That should be one heck of a rifle for you.

Guy
Thanks GuyI hope it only gets better as I learn what it likes.

Dang buddy! You are well on your way with that one. Seems like you got a good one that should be exactly what you want for elk. Doesn't get too much better than a good 338 for the elk mountains. I know mine has been carried many, many, many miles in pursuit and seeing how it lays elk down, I won't be without one.

You get a decent 200, 210, 225 moving over 2800 and you are golden.

You're building up a pretty good arsenal of medium bore rifles, Rodger. That one has some real promise. I agree that you need to put on a good pad. Replacing factory pads is about the first thing I do with most rifles. The newer Winchesters and Remingtons are exceptions.

DrMike":29c4iyjs said:
You're building up a pretty good arsenal of medium bore rifles, Rodger. That one has some real promise. I agree that you need to put on a good pad. Replacing factory pads is about the first thing I do with most rifles. The newer Winchesters and Remingtons are exceptions.
Thanks DrMike for the comments. You really dont need to be ashamed to say you own a few REMINGTONS They look nice and shoot about as good or better then some other brands I've seen. :lol:

truck driver":1ql9n3rp said:
DrMike":1ql9n3rp said:
Thanks DrMike for the comments. You really dont need to be ashamed to say you own a few REMINGTONS They look nice and shoot about as good or better then some other brands I've seen. :lol:

HA! Phooey... I almost choked on my water... Remingtons... Don't turn your back on them.. I hear they are bad seeds! :twisted:

SJB358":1399m6d7 said:
truck driver":1399m6d7 said:
DrMike":1399m6d7 said:

HA! Phooey... I almost choked on my water... Remingtons... Don't turn your back on them.. I hear they are bad seeds! :twisted:

Thanks, Scotty. I was worried that I might have to face down a hostile crowd on my own. 'Course, armed with a Winchester, I'd be well prepared. :mrgreen:

DrMike":zuszb11l said:
SJB358":zuszb11l said:
truck driver":zuszb11l said:
DrMike":zuszb11l said:

Thanks, Scotty. I was worried that I might have to face down a hostile crowd on my own. 'Course, armed with a Winchester, I'd be well prepared. :mrgreen:

Armed with a Winchester they are all surrounded.... :twisted:

I've had to hunt with a native guide that insists on carrying a Remington on many of our hunts. No wonder that he borrows my Winchester to finish off the animals he has wounded.

Nice going Rodger, I hope you find the sweet spot for your loads. Looking forward to more pics.
Good luck, Rol

Rol_P":o3wths0x said:
Nice going Rodger, I hope you find the sweet spot for your loads. Looking forward to more pics.
Good luck, Rol
Thanks Rol.
I seem to have stirred up them RemChester owners a little :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin:

Certainly doesn't stir me, Rodger. I admit that I own a couple of Remingtons. They shoot acceptably and will even kill small game when handled correctly. :lol: Fortunately, I don't have to hunt with a bag over my head as I am usually carrying a Winchester. :mrgreen:

All in good fun, brother. There aren't many bad rifles made today. I do enjoy them all; I just don't always readily admit it.

DrMike":2ravgtti said:
Certainly doesn't stir me, Rodger. I admit that I own a couple of Remingtons. They shoot acceptably and will even kill small game when handled correctly. :lol: Fortunately, I don't have to hunt with a bag over my head as I am usually carrying a Winchester. :mrgreen:

All in good fun, brother. There aren't many bad rifles made today. I do enjoy them all; I just don't always readily admit it.
Yep I know you have broad shoulders and can take a little ribbing or I wouldn't have done it and like you I own different brand rifles and my favorite is the one I have in my hands when I kill something :roll: :lol:
Oh and I did trade a Remngton for a Ruger :lol:

Back