Marlin 336

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I was in a LGS looking for a 308 rifle my stepdaughter wanted to buy for my son-in-law. While there I saw a Marlin 30-30 on the rack and immediately noticed it was a pre-crossbolt safety model. I took it down to look it over and saw it was virtually brand new. No dings, worn areas, bluing gone, etc.

I talked to the owner and a short time later I was leaving with it. He also threw in a partial box of ammo and a cleaning kit, both items the previous owner had brought with it. The ammo is yellow box Winchester 150 gr Silvertips and the kit is an Outers 30 caliber that doesn't appear to have been used or at least not much. The box of ammo has 8 R-P rounds, 6 Winchester Silvertips, and four fired Winchester cases. The LGS owner said an elderly man traded the rifle and a .410 Mossberg pump in on a pistol. The shotgun was immaculate too.

It is a JM marked gun both on the barrel and the hammer extension. I researched the serial number when I got home and it was made in 1969. All in all, I figured for $455 out the door I didn't get hurt much :grin: .

If I can figure out how to post pictures I will.

Ron

Nice deal.
Something about a 30-30. Nostalgia, deer camp and so on. Lot of deer accounted for by that cartridge.
I like Marlins also. I’d have probably walked out with it also. :grin:

Marlin 30-30 is a great setup.

I have sad thoughts about an old man trading away a couple of long guns for a handgun. :(

Hopefully he doesn't do something to hurt himself. Too many of those scenes in my mind.

Enjoy your "new" Marlin. It should serve well.

Guy

I really like a Williams Receiver sight and a 1/16" Gold Bead front. I used the "Twilight" apertures in 2 sizes. The bigger hole up in the woods and the smallest hole out in the more open. Zero it at 100 with the group +2" over the tip top of the bead. It will hit right around the "bottom" of the bead at 200yds. Its sort of "self adjusting". I could see deer after legal shooting hours with that Twilight (brass") aperture!

Dwh7271":15nkdb0a said:
Nice deal.
Something about a 30-30. Nostalgia, deer camp and so on. Lot of deer accounted for by that cartridge.
I like Marlins also. I’d have probably walked out with it also. :grin:

Me too.

You did well on that one.

I've tagged 4 whitetails with a 336. Two in 35 Rem, two in 30/30. All were one shot, one tag!

I bought the 35 Rem and put some heart into getting into a reliable E. NC brush rifle. Two problems with it. HATED the cross bolt safety, that seemed to magically engage itself for no d@mn reason, and the lever was too short to fit my gloved hand into it.

The 30/30 I actually borrowed from my friend who ran a guide service. Just wound up at his place one day, don't even remember why, but I wound up in a tree stand at the back of of his brothers farm, on the edge of a crop field and timber. I can't even tell you what bullets I was using because Billy just dug around behind the seat of his truck and handed me 3 rounds.

Anyway...Great find on the JM ! ENJOY. Wish I could find JM (or Rem 600) in 35 Rem.

Lots of love here for the various Marlin lever action rifles!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Back