Meopta Meostar R2???

maverick2

Handloader
Dec 22, 2013
Does anyone here own (or spent much time using) one of Meopta's new Meostar R2s? Looking for a good scope to use in heavy timber, so low light capabilities are important. Primary features I'm interested in are mag range low end around 2, objective no larger than 40 mm, water shedding coatings, and a good functional illumination system. I've been interested in the R2 since its release, but see very little info from actual users. Main 2 scopes I'm considering right now are Meopta's R2 in the 1.7-10x42 w/ illuminated 4k reticle and Leica's ERi in the 2.5-10x42.

Haven't handled the new Meoptas, but I do have one of the Leica ERi 2.5-10X42. Yeah, it is a great scope. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I have no doubt that the Meopta R2 would serve you well. Who knows, I may have to pick one up, just 'cause.

I've looked through the R2's and loved them. I own two Meopro's, and according to Meopta, the glass/coatings are the same in both lines.

I took a Swaro Z3 off my 35 Whelen and replaced it with a Meopro and having carried that rifle recently and eyeballed it in bad light both morning and evening, I feel confident in saying I've lost NOTHING in lowlight performance. Actually, I gained. The Meopta has a big bold #4 reticle that I can see till it's flat dark.

If I had the cash, I'd be all over the R2's.

They are serious hunting scopes.

The R2's are pretty intriguing, and if I had to buy today, I'd probably pull the trigger on that. (I have a Leica ER on another rifle, so know I can't go very far wrong there if I choose to go that direction.) I guess a third option would be a Kahles Helia 5 in their 1.6-8x40. That seems to be a little different price category though, so I'd have to wait for the right deal to come along (not sure I'm THAT patient, and don't know that the gains over the other two scopes would be significant enough to wait.)

If you can find one, the older generation R1 lineup had a very good 1.5-6x42 (or thereabouts) with an illuminated #4. Like a moron, I passed one up at a sale price locally a couple of years ago.

The R2's are nicer, but the R1's are no slouch at all. I looked through that R1 side by side with a Swaro Z3 and Leupold VX6 and found the Meopta to compare favorably to both.

tddeangelo":3byzwxmx said:
If you can find one, the older generation R1 lineup had a very good 1.5-6x42 (or thereabouts) with an illuminated #4. Like a moron, I passed one up at a sale price locally a couple of years ago.

The R2's are nicer, but the R1's are no slouch at all. I looked through that R1 side by side with a Swaro Z3 and Leupold VX6 and found the Meopta to compare favorably to both.

I've thought highly of Meopta for a while now and considered that scope, but that R1 misses on a couple levels for me -- it's only offered in the 4c reticle (I'd much rather have the 4k), it doesn't have any water shedding coatings, and I'd prefer an upper mag range between 8 and 10 (all things the R2 now does).

Gotcha. Wasn't sure if it'd meet your needs, so figured I'd throw it out there.

I agree that the R2's are some fine optics. I would like the exact scope you're contemplating. :)

Back