Messed Up!

Balthazar

Beginner
Dec 22, 2021
Rem 700 BDL in 257 AI. ..... In the process of adjusting the trigger and testing if my adjustments
would unexpectedly set off the trigger, I set the safe on and off for testing purposes. On one
of the times, with the safety on, I yanked too aggressively on the bolt handle, and it came
flying off. I did not realize the safety was on, thus locking the bolt in place.

So now I have two problems: 1-how do I get the bolt out, 2- how difficult is it to re-solder
the bolt handle back in place? Or is this mess-up best left to a gunsmith? THANKS

Were it me, I would take it to the smith and have him tell you. Maybe just look for another action to screw that barrel on. Never heard of such a thing. Good luck! Let us know what you find out. CL

any time bolt handle repairs are talked about Dan gets mentioned . I've never used him , but the guys seem to like his work .

as far as getting the bolt open , I have no suggestions , I'll bet there is a trick to it though
Thanks for the link. I'll run it by my local GS first and if he punts, at least I have a plan B.

Based on my experience while working for a gunsmith. the Remington 788s were notorious for losing the bolt handles. Nine times out of ten the gun was chambered to the 22-250 and the shooter was using very hot hand load in order to reach out and touch way out yonder coyotes that were reluctant to come in to a call. While thus employed though, I never saw an M700 come in with that problem. I have heard that it happens many times though. I don't doubt that it happens.
Paul B.

I read of handles coming off on loaded rounds with tight headspace. Now try removing the bolt with a live round on it.

I know this is a lot to ask ;
by some chance is the bolt fluted ? if it's fluted I'd try using a carpenters wooden shim and try to get in a flute and turn it , or cardboard to pad a screwdriver blade and get in a flute and turn it . shape a plastic toothbrush handle to fit the flute . you could bump the wood , or plastic , not the screwdriver .

If it's not in the fired position which according to your original post it would not be, I would think it could be turned since the firing pin spring is already compressed.

I'd take it out of the stock, take the mag well out and using your thumb and fingers split between the top and bottom of the bolt, plus anything you can get ahold of with your other hand back where the bolt handle was, and see if it's possible to get the bolt turned? Maybe I'm being highly optimistic.

I'm trying to remember what the gunsmith I worked for did. Dunno if the M700 is the same as the 788 but the 788 had a shallow hole the bolt handle fit into before being brazed to make it a solid connection. This all took place back in the mid to late 1970s FWIW. IIRC, the smith silver soldered that handle back in place.
Paul B.

The rec. serial# (A626xxxx) corresponds to a mid to late 70's DOB. The bolt is the standard unfluted
issue. Being close to 5 decades old and who knows how many hundreds or even thousands of
rounds down the pipe....my first thought was metal/solder fatigue, that I just happened to facilitate
with my aggressive cycling of the bolt, to check if the trigger tweaking performed would result in a
misfire.
Being an earlier model 700, when setting to gun to safe, the bolt locks up. This function was later
changed, I suppose to unload while the safety is engaged.
At some point, the original barrel was changed out for an aftermarket 257Bob AI, ergo, no barrel date
code. I bought the gun on GB and had to fireform my cases. So I really have not done any
load work-up or tried different bullets in the pursuit of the elusive one hole.
Right now, the only positive to come out of this is my chance to dig out another safe-queen and
re-establish a relationship....at least until this fustercluck gets worked out.

I'm not really understanding the problem I guess. If it came off during cycling you must have already lifted the bolt handle and the bolt should remove easily or is already removed from the action. If that is the case, the bolt handle can be reattached by silver solder or TIG weld. Regardless, the bolt needs to be disassembled, degreased, and the bolt and handle need to be properly aligned before trying to attach. I recommend you take it to a qualified gunsmith.

I'm not really understanding the problem I guess. If it came off during cycling you must have already lifted the bolt handle and the bolt should remove easily or is already removed from the action. If that is the case, the bolt handle can be reattached by silver solder or TIG weld. Regardless, the bolt needs to be disassembled, degreased, and the bolt and handle need to be properly aligned before trying to attach. I recommend you take it to a qualified gunsmith.

No it's an older 700 where when the safety is on the bolt is locked closed.........pre 86 or so are those style if I remember right. He went to cycle the action hard to test the safety of the trigger not going off when doing so, and didn't realize the safety was on. So the bolt handle came off with the bolt closed and the bolt turned down in the locked in battery position. So now the bolt needs turned out of battery to remove it, but there's no handle.

That takes some brute strength to pull the bolt handle off. Back in the day I could have used his help flinging bales of hay up into the barn loft. 😂
I would take it to a qualified gunsmith and get the bolt handle property welded back on.

JD338

Dan Armstrong does excellent work. He will tig the bolt handle back on and setup primary extraction. His bedside manner is that of a world - class surgeon, if you get my drift, but he is good as gold. I once sent him money with an action and included enough for return postage. It was like $10 too much so he put that amount in the box when he returned the action.

You should be able to get the handle-less bolt out by dropping the trigger out, if you’re comfortable with driving a couple of pins and putting the bolt stop back together when the smoke clears.

I’d replace the Remington trigger with a TriggerTech.

The trigger group was removed . 1 guy using right angle needle nose pliers to
compress the lug on the bottom of the bolt shroud and 1 guy using a 1/4" screwdriver
and tapping gingerly in a counter-clockwise direction on the underside of the bolt
until the bolt was released from its locked position and then slid out.

Barrel was removed, firing pin removed, bolt slid home, proper positioning established
so that timing could be verified and bolt handle re-attached.

The local GunSmith, a personal friend, said he wanted me to come to "gunsmith school"
to observe the procedure necessary to correct my mess, to see how much time it took
to correct it so that when he charged me $$, I wouldn't feel I was being taken advantage of.
I enjoyed the experience, the repartee back & forth and the sharing of hunting stories.
Also a good natured admonishing to dial it back a bit when yanking on the bolt handle!

The trigger group was removed . 1 guy using right angle needle nose pliers to
compress the lug on the bottom of the bolt shroud and 1 guy using a 1/4" screwdriver
and tapping gingerly in a counter-clockwise direction on the underside of the bolt
until the bolt was released from its locked position and then slid out.

Barrel was removed, firing pin removed, bolt slid home, proper positioning established
so that timing could be verified and bolt handle re-attached.

The local GunSmith, a personal friend, said he wanted me to come to "gunsmith school"
to observe the procedure necessary to correct my mess, to see how much time it took
to correct it so that when he charged me $$, I wouldn't feel I was being taken advantage of.
I enjoyed the experience, the repartee back & forth and the sharing of hunting stories.
Also a good natured admonishing to dial it back a bit when yanking on the bolt handle!

Well since no one else asked yet, I will..........just how big of a boy are ya???? :ROFLMAO: I don't think I could rip off a bolt handle, but maybe it was weakened from before. Regardless, glad you're all fixed up! (y)

"Well since no one else asked yet, I will..........just how big of a boy are ya???? :ROFLMAO: I don't think I could rip off a bolt handle, but maybe it was weakened from before. Regardless, glad you're all fixed up!"

That particular model rifle was notorious for bolt handles goming. Some were not very well brazed/ soldered, however Remington fastened them.
I worked part time for a gunsmith before he passed and while the gun was popular in 22-250 for hunting coyotes, we had quite a few come in with bolt handles pulled off.
Paul B.

I should have taken pics of the surfaces of the exposed bolt minus handle and the
underside of the bolt. The area covered by the solder was closer to 75% than the ideal
100%. That, plus age of gun according to the serial # on receiver, and perhaps, high
shot count is my best guess as to the failure.

As Toby Keith said: "I'm not as good as I once was", and being a septuagenarian has
tamed things down quite a bit. Just your average 260lb old guy, who can still get
into a tree stand.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Back