Moose Cutlets in Mushroom Sauce

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Well, Mondays can be a day to recuperate for me. That was certainly the case today. In addition to being quite exhausted from a long, demanding day yesterday, my knee is throbbing as I anticipate another visit to my family physician to begin the long process of getting into the queue for treatment. (Don't laugh! Obamacare is going to work wonders for you fellows below the line.) On top of all this, we had a thunder storm that continued on and off throughout the afternoon. I decided that rather than moping and whinging,I would surprise my bride by cooking dinner this evening.

I thawed some moose cutlets (always a good way to start a meal). I sliced and sautéed two medium onions in avocado oil, adding a can of mushroom caps. When the onion slices were beginning to brown, I layered this on the bottom of a Pyrex dish. I dredged the cutlets in a mixture of flour, sea salt and coarse ground pepper before browning them in hot avocado oil. When browned, these were layered over the onion/mushroom layer. In the interim, I mixed together a can of mushroom coup, rinsing the can with milk and a generous shake of Worcestershire Sauce. This was poured over the cutlets and placed in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour.

About twenty minutes before the meat would come out of the oven, I opened two cans of hominy. I dumped the first can into an oven-proof dish, mixing it with two generous tablespoons of Pace's Picante Sauce and a generous handful of Swiss cheese. This was stirred and two slices of mozzarella cheese. I dumped the second can of hominy on top of this, covering this with Feta cheese and sprinkling sea salt on it. I place two more slices of mozzarella cheese on this. I heated this in the microwave for about three minutes before placing it in the oven for the final fifteen minutes of baking together with the cutlets.

I finally called my lovely bride to come enjoy the meal prepared for her gustatory gratification. She allowed that I would be permitted to make this again, as it exceeded her expectations. The cutlets were fork tender and exceptionally delicious. The hominy was a perfect compliment to the meat. I think the only change I might make the next time I prepare this dish is to add some grated nutmeg to the mushroom soup. It would enhance the flavour tremendously.

You will probably be the next Iron Chef Canada Mike, I used to do that on occasion but my wife got KP duties after I cooked all day and she was about to ruin the tile in our kitchen dropping all my cast iron cooking pans! Now I can't find them as she has hidden them from herself? Have ya tried Posole? Boy now that stuff is extra special and I am sure ya got some kinda critter in the freezer that would work with it ! http://www.food.com/recipe/new-mexican-posole-218244
You need any help just give me a holla as it can be perfected :lol: try it you will enjoy and the Chili does not have to be so hot ya can't eat it but it helps :shock: I like to add red chili enchilada sauce in to it just before I eat it!

It has been years, but I remember posole. We don't mind "hot," having brought our taste for Tex-Mex with us. We do have some trouble when we have chili. Mine is sans frijoles and hers always has pinto beans. I want my beans on the side rather than in my chili. Whenever I make chili for Canadians, I make "false alarm" chili rather than "three alarm" chili. I'll be in Washington in a couple of weeks. You can bet that I'll make a raid on Fred Meyer and grab some staples (hominy, Pace's, yellow corn meal--things that are necessary for cooking).

Never eaten Moose Cutlets but man it sounds good, especially the way u put it together! Russ I think pictures would just make me gain about 3 lbs ! But worth it I am sure! NM Posole is pretty authentic to NM and I tell you I have tried my friends Grand Mother recipe and for some reason I can't get it rite but his wife does and we are always greeted on our trips to Pueblo, Colorado to a big tub of it and it's so good! Little Filipina Lady makes the best Posole you will ever wanta put in your mouth!

russ808":3pjzj8kb said:
Pictures Mike, pictures..
russ

I was too busy eating, Russ. Mea culpa. I'm going to have to start taking my camera into the kitchen.

Mike,

That sounds awesome!
Feel free to email me any left overs. :grin:

JD338

Seldom any leftovers, Jim. Once Noah and Zachary get here in a couple of weeks, the freezer may get depleted. I made up about thirty pounds of moose sausage a few weeks ago. I suspect that it will go pretty quickly with these two boys.

Doc that sounded like a great meal. I bet you and your Mrs. are starting to get a little bit excited on having your to grandchildren for a extended holiday.

Blessings,
Dan

Looking forward to it, Dan. Man, two young fellows like that can challenge an old guy like me.

Mike, they will help strengthen that knee of yours :wink: & likely your right arm with all the bullets you are going to have to build :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

Man that sounds real good. Going to have to try it with some elk. Don't have any moose.

Man, that sounds good! Thanks for sharing, Mike! I'm with Scotty, going to have to try it with elk!

I've never had moose come to think of it. How does it differ in flavor from elk?

I prefer moose; but, then, that's just me. I'm somewhat particular when I make that statement; I prefer young moose (two and a half year old moose). That doesn't mean, however, that I don't appreciate elk in the freezer. :grin: Or whitetail. Or...

Thanks Dr!
Thawed a couple whitetail outer loins and used your recipe.
Turned out great !
Wife liked it also.

Oh, yeah, it is a great recipe. I enjoyed white tail rib eye and elk t-bone this evening, served with fried potatoes and onions and hominy in spicy cheese sauce. There wasn't much left, and there were no complaints from some very discriminating palates (my two grandsons).

Back