Moose Hunt 2020

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Just got back on Sunday from my moose hunt after being gone almost 2 weeks and are now in the process of butchering it all up, should finish today. We were in the northern part of B.C. near the Yukon border. I was able to see parts of the Yukon I had never seen on the drive up and it's definitely beautiful.

We hunted hard for 6 days (10 days total) and had seen a few cows and a fleeting sighting of a young bull. There was fresh sign every day from a bunch of different bulls and cows but we could never seem to catch one of those bulls in the open until the early morning on the 22nd. We hiked in to our spot and there he was crossing the river. I ranged him at 312 yards and was able to hit him twice out of 3 shots before he reached the timber. The rifle was my 35 Whelen using 225 gr AccuBond's. Who knew that the Whelen would be good for moose? :lol: Then the work began of course but we had him back to camp by early afternoon and then hung up by evening. He was pretty big bodied so lots of meat for us both. We tried to get another bull for my partner but couldn't make it happen.

50397029598_21909dd693_z.jpg

50397029653_183d56ed9d_z.jpg

50397879861_544ce3f23a_z.jpg

Sure was glad for the boat to get him down the river and back to camp. I shot him from the timber in the background basically in line with where his antler is pointing.

50397718661_d08404ae27_z.jpg

50397879876_4ac66fe8b9_z.jpg

50397190528_289529c9b3_z.jpg

50397190558_852d875ac3_z.jpg

50397039953_e0cc24d2c7_z.jpg

50397039933_b13a908126_z.jpg

50397731646_3da2a30683_z.jpg

50397042773_299bdcabcb_z.jpg

Cooking up the heart with some potatoes! Took two days to finish eating it and it was very well enjoyed by both of us.

50397731616_60fbba5f21_z.jpg

Our pet Stellar's jay, he would come as close as 2 feet away from us so he could pick away at the antler's. Very beautiful bird up close.

50397731571_4757847e35_z.jpg

Congratulations!
Good looking moose.
Beautiful scenery there too!
Outstanding hunt.
If a .35 Whelen isn't good for moose, then we need Howitzers to hunt them! Not really. But I have this feeling some are going to think I was serious. LOL

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Excellent pictorial essay on a great hunt, Gerry. Congratulations on a fine moose. It does appear that the Whelen is good for something, after all. :mrgreen:

Great job my Friend, I know that you had total confidence in your 35 Whelen :wink:.
It looks like it was quite the trip and I will be giving you a call in the next while to have a chat (y).
What beautiful photos Gerry.

Blessings,
Dan

Sorry Gerry I should have asked this in my first post :(.
We're the Bulls calling?

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks everyone.

sask boy":47syh3u2 said:
Sorry Gerry I should have asked this in my first post :(.
We're the Bulls calling?

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, surprisingly they never came to the call and I heard only a single grunt in the area where I heard a bull smashing up a tree about 200 yards into the brush. We found one wallow right where we camped from an immature bull and numerous smashed up trees everywhere we went.

Lets talk later in the week after I lick my wounds for a bit :lol:

HAWKEYESATX":1mm8jfjt said:
Congratulations!
Good looking moose.
Outstanding hunt.
If a .35 Whelen isn't good for moose, then we need Howitzers to hunt them! Not really. But I have this feeling some are going to think I was serious. LOL

Hawk

Load up some 200 gr Partition's or AccuBond's in the new 30-06 of yours and you'll be hammering those bulls ;)

gerry":39v6byy3 said:
HAWKEYESATX":39v6byy3 said:
Congratulations!
Good looking moose.
Outstanding hunt.

Hawk

Load up some 200 gr Partition's or AccuBond's in the new 30-06 of yours and you'll be hammering those bulls ;)
I think a 180 gr AccuBond would be perfect in the .30-06.
I have been looking at the 200 gr Partition, though. Looks like a great bullet too.

Hawk

Congratulations on a beautiful hunt Gerry.. Thank you for sharing the beauty of the north country and your success. I am sure Well Deserved. Regards, Rol

Just fantastic! The country, the hunt, the whole 9 yds. Congratulations! (y) (y)

Never had moose heart, but deer heart is a favorite of mine. I can almost taste that with potatoes cooked out at camp like that.

Memorable adventure I'm sure. He even fell over at about the perfect spot.

Congratulations, Gerry! Very nice bull, beautiful country and great pictures, well done.

Congrats in a great bull. Really hard to beat that nice short pack job back to the boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on a fine moose. Wonderful photos. So, how old would a bull like that be?

Dan

Thanks all, much appreciated. In a day or two I'll post up a thread on the recovered bullets, haven't weighed them but both did really well.

Thebear_78":36zgyhrj said:
Congrats in a great bull. Really hard to beat that nice short pack job back to the boat!

I bet you have packed a few and can appreciate how nice that is! We even used my friends stretcher for packing to the boat and then hanging them up later. Took a bit to get the boat up the rapids on the river but it was well worth the effort. We had brought it up a few days earlier and I believe this same bull walked within a few feet of it twice when we weren't there. Wish I would have snapped a photo of that.

NYDAN":36zgyhrj said:
Congratulations on a fine moose. Wonderful photos. So, how old would a bull like that be?

Dan

Thanks. That's a good question, I need to take the bull in for inspection along with an incisor tooth but I'm not sure they will end up letting us know when they find out. I don't think he was super old but you never know. He did show some old injuries so my partner and I wondered if that's why he had the funky antlers especially the left side. On the second picture you can see his right hind ankle is all swollen up just above the hoof. He had a big cut there and it was oozing a bit of puss. They sure do have a tough life and I have a lot of respect for them.

Damn good bullet performance! I would expect nothing less. One of the great things about the moderate middle bores is they are not to taxing on bullet integrity. It’s hard to find a bad bullet in the whelen.

Long, steep, bulrush choked and waterlogged meat packs are risks you always take with moose. I’m not sure what’s worse, cutting up a moose in waist deep water and floating vegetation or clinging to alders on steep grades. It’s rare to get an easy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back