Moving on to the 30-06

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
While the Mashburn experiment continues I will move on to the new 30-06. The gunsmith I chose to do the chamber made her a bit tighter than my synthetic stock 30-06, but they otherwise have the same chamber (same reamer).

I also have some leftover 30-06 elk hunt ammo from last fall. I fired 3 rounds; one at an elk and the other two to attempt to get guys in camp out of camp to help pack.

Bill carried out a front quarter; I got a front quarter and the backstraps, and a horse (!) with a superbly nice Wyoming gentleman carried out the rest. One of the pieces of brass is lost somewhere in the Tetons.

Some of this ammo was tight to chamber in my synthetic stock 30-06, so I know it won't chamber in this tighter chambered rifle.

First to pull the bullets:

Then to dump the powder back into an H4350 jug. Then decap:

Then I'm going to anneal the cases. John Barsness recommends holding a piece of brass halfway up the case, putting the case into a candle flame, rotating halfway throughout, and when the brass is too hot to hold it should be annealed. Anyone ever tried annealing with a candle? If the candle method fails I might order an annealing machine. I've tried the socket + torch method with mixed results.

Then FL size. Redding Type S FL sizer for the job:

The Redding Type S dies don't have concentricity as good as some others, but it's acceptable and it only takes one pass through the die.

I will use a 0.332 bushing as the ammo mics 0.334:

I feel like I haven't loaded ammo in two years, and really I did very little except for work!

What pre-fall projects are you working on?

Anyone annealed with a candle before?

Sorry but I have no advise for the candle method. I use a hand drill with short extension and deep well socket with a nut in the socket to hold brass higher and turn the lights off after I light the torch. the battery powered drill has a drill setting and a torque setting for driving. I count off 5-6 seconds and drop the brass on a soft towel. Seems to work well for me.

The candle annealing went well. Took about 6 minutes to anneal 20 cases. They sized easily afterwards. I'll keep trying it out.

Candle method is as simple as Barsness describes, and it works.

Nice rifle, BTW...

Guy

Beautiful 30-06 you have there! Those Accubonds should work very well as the elk from last year certainly shows. I really like the 30-06.

David

Good looking rifle and some obviously fine ammo. Don't know that I'd pull the bullets. They will continue to work well for many years to come. I trust Barsness' assessment of the candle method for annealing. And to be sure, there is never enough time to accomplish all that I want in terms of hand loading. Trust you enjoy a great fall.

Very cool Joel. That 30-06 load is some kinda excellent you worked up. I still have your 165 Accuond we recovered from your bull on my bench. Let me know and I'll mail it to you.

Can't wait to see the new 06 on the range.

DrMike":wnsm1iod said:
Good looking rifle and some obviously fine ammo. Don't know that I'd pull the bullets. They will continue to work well for many years to come. I trust Barsness' assessment of the candle method for annealing. And to be sure, there is never enough time to accomplish all that I want in terms of hand loading. Trust you enjoy a great fall.

Thanks Dr. Mike, you're absolutely right they would continue to work. However, about half of them were tight to chamber even in the looser chambered rifle, and I prefer hunting ammo that chambers without much difficulty.

Last fall I tested four or five rounds of the ammo I made before I left for the trip, and they all chambered easily. Then in the field I chambered some others to take out, and they were tight. So I needed to pull the bullets and set the shoulders back anyways. An additional lesson that I should run every round through the rifle that I intend to take afield. I was a bit short on time and I must have assumed it was good enough. And you know what assuming does!

Joe- that is a beautiful '06 you got there! How do you keep it in good shape during a horseback wilderness hunt? ha You know...I might can get you a Tax Deduction if you "donated" that rifle to my "ministry"! ha ha

Preacher, she's still brand new, or at least she's not been fired or taken afield yet. I'm sure she'll be scratched up in no time! Just as Bill and Scotty--I have a tendency to be too loud and clumsy!

joelkdouglas":37x3vj4e said:
Thanks Dr. Mike, you're absolutely right they would continue to work. However, about half of them were tight to chamber even in the looser chambered rifle, and I prefer hunting ammo that chambers without much difficulty.

Last fall I tested four or five rounds of the ammo I made before I left for the trip, and they all chambered easily. Then in the field I chambered some others to take out, and they were tight. So I needed to pull the bullets and set the shoulders back anyways. An additional lesson that I should run every round through the rifle that I intend to take afield. I was a bit short on time and I must have assumed it was good enough. And you know what assuming does!

Got ya; and, yes, always wise to chamber your hunting ammo before trying to pull the trigger (not that I ever follow my own advice). :lol:

Reading preacher's post, I'm moved again to note the generosity of those posting on this site. It moves me to tears to see the thoughtful nature of suggestions made here. :mrgreen:

I was just trying to spare him the pain and suffering of working up another load...my heart is in the right place....I DID offer a Tax Deduction Letter! (y) :lol: :evil:

So thoughtful, Jim. Pity it wasn't on this side of the border. :grin:

Hahah Joel I've not often had to dig mates out of bed to pack, they usually come up with a last minute reason to go home the afternoon before and leave the pack and clean up to me!

My mid winter project has consisted of working up loads for my Sako a7 in 308 Win, and getting rifle and scope to work in harmony. Its been a very very wet winter and hunting trips have been hard to come by due the wet.

Your new 30-06 is a beaut looking rifle. I recently sold a bunch of mine including a 250 AI, a 270, a 308 and a 303. I didn't trade my 30-06 though. Can't go wrong there.

Nice write up of your project mate.

Thanks! More work to do...still have some left on the 7, and the 25-06 needs some 110 AccuBond work, though I heavily suspect 54 grains of H4831 will do nicely.

I do remember some folks were in town eating cheeseburgers. Not that I blame them! What's a man supposed to do, sit around in camp and wait to see if the last remaining hunter fills a tag?

Re tight shoulders...... one of the neat things you can do with a redding body die is bumping back loaded ammo. I have 3 308s... the last one I got has a pretty tight chamber...... I had quite a bit of ammo loaded up for the other two and was able to take that ammo and get it pushed back just fine for the match grade chamber.

kraky1":2y753tl4 said:
Re tight shoulders...... one of the neat things you can do with a redding body die is bumping back loaded ammo. I have 3 308s... the last one I got has a pretty tight chamber...... I had quite a bit of ammo loaded up for the other two and was able to take that ammo and get it pushed back just fine for the match grade chamber.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that!

Joel that .30-06 is the stuff dreams are made of! Thanks for sharing!

Got some work done to my Model 70 Classic this year, new rings and mounts (Leupold Dual Dovetail), a trigger job and yes glass bedding. The last time I took her apart the bedding compound (hot epoxy??) fell out of the stock, so I got it done right.

Got an elk tag and a fall black bear tag this year, can't wait to fill them!

Good hunting!

Dale

Back