My "dear" get her first deer (Pic Heavy)

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Maria came up with this title :)

It is true my wife has successfully brought home some game for us but lets start at the beginning.

Oct 29

We left early in the morning and made the drive to Prince Rupert for our trip to the Queen Charlotte Islands for some deer hunting.

We got there in the evening and started to hunt the next morning.

Oct 30

We drove into one of my favorite spots and after a little bit we saw a deer on the road. I wanted her to shoot it but she was too nervous we wouldn't get anything she wanted me to shoot it. A single 130 gr AccuBond from my 260 Remington and she was down in about 10-15 yards. She was a mature doe, you can see the exit wound on her shoulder.

I told Maria she needed to shoot the next one so we kept on going watching carefully. About 45 minutes later I spotted a young doe moving in the bush in a spot we have seen deer before. It took a bit of time before the deer presented a good shot for her but it finally did and she sent a single 120 gr Ballistic Tip from her 6.5x55 into it's chest. The deer ran hard but you could see it was hit hard so it only made it about 15 feet and was done.

This little deer is her first big game animal, I am proud of her.

Here she is the next day at the same place, the deer was in the brush over her left shoulder.

We got one more deer that day, again I used the 130 gr AccuBond. It would have been an easy shot but she wanted me to shoot, I asked her from now on to take the easier opportunities and I would take the harder shots.

Oct 31

We headed out early again and we spotted a deer in the distance, I was able to cut down the distance to 135 yards and dropped a young buck with a neck shot. No pictures of this one since the pictures wouldn't have been very nice. I used a 140 gr Ballistic Tip this time in the 260 Rem which performed great.

Going farther we spotted another deer and Maria was able to shoot it again with one of her 120 gr Ballistic Tips. The shot was a bit far back but the deer didn't go more than about 50 yards, I was able to find it in the brush and finish it off. No pictures of this one either after me finishing it off for her.

The road we were on was washed out last year and people had to pay to get their trucks taken out by helicopter. There are some pretty bad spots on the road so when it started raining hard we got out and went elsewhere.

We checked out a different spot and I spotted another deer, a single 140 gr Ballistic Tip on a quartering away shot and the young buck only went a few feet. Maria took a few pictures of me packing it out, he was beside the pale stump in the upper left of the picture and was found just behind it. Some how I nicked the gut, hit the liver and heart all in one shot :lol:

Nov 1

The day was beautiful and warm we saw a couple of deer that got away and after it got warm nothing moved. We enjoyed the day though.

I did manage to see this little guy in the afternoon deep into the bush so decided to take him. I was now tagged out with my 5 deer so Maria could relax that we would have some meat. Used the 130 gr AccuBond for this deer.

We spent the rest of the day not hunting and enjoying the sun.

Nov 2

We decided to head out for our last day to a totally different area. We didn't see many deer but I expected to see some bucks here. We saw a real nice one but he got away from us without a shot fired.

A spot we walked into after that. Will have to dig up a few more pictures later.

Driving on the way out all of a sudden there was a deer in the distance looking at us. We walked closer but it was farther than Maria wanted to shoot so we went closer. We were pushing our luck but closer we went. When I saw him move his head I told her she had to shoot so we had her sit down and the Bog Pod came in handy. This time she used a 140 gr SST and dropped the buck in his tracks from 180 yards. The buck was quartering to us sharply so the bullet entered the chest went through the shoulder blade and down the spine quite a ways. The bullet took out a lot of bone and was recovered, I'll post up a picture soon.

She ended up getting our biggest deer and took the longest shot. All her practicing paid off for sure :) After that she said she was done and just wanted to sight see the rest of the day which was fine of course.

Lots of cormorants I believe.

Nov 3

It was time to go home which was sad but all things must come to an end so we had to board the ferry and go home :(

I was a great trip and those 8 deer are going to feed us very nicely. We have eaten several meals so far and it was excellent. These deer are small but they are by far the best eating of any deer we have in B.C.

Hope you enjoyed the story.

Very nice! I love all the photos!

My family is strongly contemplating a trip to Prince of Wales Is. next Nov. to chase deer around.

It looks like a very fun hunt.

Do it you will have a blast. Of course you know Prince Of Wales is the next island north of the Charlotte's and will be similar terrain. What kind of season do you guys have there?

Gerry & Maria thank you so much for the story and the great photographs. Maria you have got this hunting thing down pat and I am so glad that you & gerry can enjoy it together.
Again thank you for the post.
Gerry have you ever canned that deer meat as I would bet it would taste great?
I beleive I told you this already but when I got home form Dawson Creek by grandson who was just 14 months old would not let us put away the canned salmon you gave me and he ate it until we thought he was going to be burst :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Great story. Congrats on all of the deer. Sounds like you all cleaned up!

gerry":1260qpzk said:
Do it you will have a blast. Of course you know Prince Of Wales is the next island north of the Charlotte's and will be similar terrain. What kind of season do you guys have there?

Aug 1- Dec 31. We're looking to go later, probably mid Nov. after all the hunting in the Interior has turned cold and snowy.

sask boy":2cdbsr3u said:
Gerry & Maria thank you so much for the story and the great photographs. Maria you have got this hunting thing down pat and I am so glad that you & gerry can enjoy it together.
Again thank you for the post.
Gerry have you ever canned that deer meat as I would bet it would taste great?
I beleive I told you this already but when I got home form Dawson Creek by grandson who was just 14 months old would not let us put away the canned salmon you gave me and he ate it until we thought he was going to be burst :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

I was proud of her, it was a big step to go from practicing to actually shooting an animal.

Have canned goat but not deer yet, bet it would be good. We are expecting Netty and yourself next year in say late July so you can catch some salmon Dan :)

Thanks Scotty, I hope to see a bunch more pics of your clan bringing home some nice deer.

A couple more pics, last Wednesday when the butchering started.

After all the roasts and stir fry meat were put into the freezer I ground the remaining meat. On Sunday we bagged up the ground meat and the task was finally done. I can't tell you how great it tastes.

hodgeman":3gdbjryt said:
gerry":3gdbjryt said:

Aug 1- Dec 31. We're looking to go later, probably mid Nov. after all the hunting in the Interior has turned cold and snowy.

The rut will be in full swing which is good. Late in the fall having a couple of extra days is good for when a big storm hits and hunting is bad. Great thing though is when the weather breaks a bit the deer will be eager to come out.

Congratulations, Maria. Congratulations, Gerry. Those blacktail are no doubt excellent table fare. I've often threatened to make that trek to the Queen Charlottes, but somehow it hasn't happened, yet. It is on my bucket list. A great account of a fine time together. Thanks for sharing, Gerry.

Thought I would give a few thoughts on the bullets we used before this thread disappears. All are 6.5mm bullets from either a 260 Rem or 6.5x55. All bullets exited except one.

120 gr Ballistic Tip - accounted for 2 deer and performed great, wound channels were a good size but not much bloodshot meat.

130 gr AccuBond - 3 deer for this bullet, I expected great things and was not disappointed.

140 gr Ballistic Tip - 2 deer, performed very well I thought the wound channels were slightly bigger then the 130 gr AB, blood shot meat was not bad at all.

140 gr SST - 1 deer, had a very rough ride breaking the shoulder blade and then going lengthwise down the spine. Recovered the bullet which had shed it's core and weighed 48 gr. Don't think too many cup and core bullets would have done much better.

I was wondering how all the bullets would perform and maybe I would be able to see if there were any that would stand out in one way or another but I can't fault any of them. They all seem to work well. More research will be required, going to try the 129 gr Hornady Spire Point next time too.

Congrats Gerry and Maria, nicely done and very nice photos too, enjoy that venison pal,
Lou (y)

Back