My Wife Gets-er Done !

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
I have to admit that I'm somewhat lucky in the fact that my Wife doesn't mind hunting on occasion. She'd probably enjoy it more
if we ever went in decent weather, rather than this late season miserable cold stuff. I'm allowed to generally dork around ( as she says )
most of the normal seasons that I hunt, be it archery or rifle. This allows me to not have to worry about putting meat on the table, but
rather hold out for a trophy that I'm looking for.

She was able to purchase one of the cow elk left-over licenses this year, which gives us a three to four day window to hunt.
We left home after work on Wednesday with the intentions of hunting Thanksgiving Day ( Yes, she was up for that :grin: )
What a surprise - The land we are able to hunt was showing -16 Deg F :shock: Not good conditions for a "Family" outing.
We did see some elk, but at a distance and all around the top areas that we were not able to access due to the snow.

Fast forward to Friday morning ( better morning, it's a heat wave @ 4 Deg Above ) - We're into elk right from the get-go. About a dozen cows all grazing towards the top edge of one of the Mtns.
A quick view of the area - estimate of range, which I thought was getting out there, but well within reach of the .260 -
We had picked out cow that was out in the open and broad side looking down the hill at us. I estimated her at a "long 350yds" - the crack of
the gun and the 130gr AB was on it's way. To my disappointment, a visual splatter of snow and rock directly under her was the final Friday morning results
as we watched them run over the hill.

This afternoon results ended with a much better ending :grin:
I had brought my .257Bee over with me as well - She had made the comment about using it for the further elk, and her .260 if they were closer.
No arguement here, short of I wanted to be the first one to take somehting with my "Bee" 8)
We ran into two elk fairly quickly this evening and got set-up to get a shot. ( Range finder in truck -CRUD ! we're on the ATV's )
The Bee came out of the case and she got herself in place and ready to take a shot. One issue - :evil: there is a very large power-line that just so happened to line itself up perfectly with the two elk that didn't appear to be in any hurry to get out of there. That actually ended up being a good thing as to get a good estimate on yardage for her. The Bee is topped with a 6 X 18 Leupy with LRVD reticle. After what seemed forever waiting, for them to clear the lines - seriously 10 to 15 minutes I guestimated around 425yds + / -. I told her if they stayed close to where they were when she could get a shot, to put the last line on the reticle directly on her back.

They both finally began to walk up the hill a few steps and stop - The cow in the open was quartering away, but on an even plane across the draw.
As soon as she stopped, the 115gr B-tip cleared 26in of Remington barrel - :shock: :shock: :shock: She went straight down ! This ened up being a 3/4 high
shoulder shot that also broke her back.
My wife opted to carry her .260 as we made our way along the snowly slope for the finishing shot. :grin: She's a happy Gal :grin:

The 115 B-tip was recovered on the opposite side skin to my surprise. I was expecting total bullet destruction.
Now before everyone tells me " this thread is useless without pics" I'll have them up tomorrow, as we're at my Dad's without a cord for the camera.
I'll get the bullet weighed as well - I'm speculating it retained 35 - 40 % of it's weight as there is definately some of the lead core remaining.
All in all it was a great time - with the smile on her face, I don't even care if she took the first animal with the Bee.

Congratulations to Mrs. Powerstroke, nicely done!
Good job finding the 115 gr BT, post a picture of it for all of us to see.

JD338

Great account of a wonderful hunt. Congratulations on your wife's shot. You are a blessed man to have a lady who not only permits you to hunt, but is willing to share time with you.

Thats awsome, congrats to your wife. Can't wait to see pics of the cow.

Corey

Mark,

Your bride did a great job! Nice looking cow. The 115 gr BT didits job well. Safe to assume she now has 2 elk rifles. :lol:

JD338

Great job of guiding your wife to a nice cow elk. A fantastic way to have quality time together.

Bruce

Mark,

Your lady did a fine job. It is always interesting to study bullet performance. Thanks for the pictures. There are a couple of fine mulies in that last picture.

ThAnks foe sharing the photos. The bullet looks pretty good until the last one. Those are nice looking lilies too. Your wife did a great job.

Corey

Fantastic pix and stories!! You definitly married a great girl to go out with you!

Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Great pics! I never would of thought of using that bullet, and yet again its proven that shot placement is everything. Impressive little bugger. Well done!

Congratulations to both of you!

Nice to see the ladies in the field and that smile says it all.

Thanks for sharing and great photo's. Your wife is a darn good shot! I bet she reminds you of that as you are eating elk steaks later on :!: :!: :mrgreen: :p

Back