My Winchester model 70 hunting rifle "project"...FINISHED!!!

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
...is almost done!

We were discussing this rifle on another thread a while back but i thought I'd start one of my own...

The rifle as it is now...Winchester (FN) model 70 Ultimate Shadow in 30-06, Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope (old model, at least 5 years old).

2012-05-21_14-03-04_624-1.jpg

Thats what it looks like now....but I have a McMillan stock ordered, its their "Winchester Supergrade" model, the color is marbled olive, black, medium tan (33%-33%-33%) molded in...it makes for a decent camo pattern I think...looks like a ghillie suit...the stock should arrive in October according to the nice lady at McMillan (Kay). I ordered it with machined in pillars, Limbsaver pad, and 13.5" length of pull.

I have a new scope and rings already but haven't been home to check them out yet, I should be there Friday though...the scope is a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 and the rings are TPS super low 30mm rings (30mm rings are EXPENSIVE).

When it all comes together...this is my idea of the perfect hunting rifle...I think.

I'm planning on treating myself to some hunting trips in the coming years and wanted a rifle that fit me, was reliable, durable, accurate...and good for a variety of game (elk and mule deer mostly)

It came out a bit heavier than I'd hoped...but still under 9 pounds (estimated at 8.75 lbs. loaded)

I was hoping some of you guys that are more experienced at western hunting would tell me what you think...

It is a decently accurate rifle as it is now...but that stock SUX, its not comfy to me at all.

I shot this group using shooting sticks, prone may or may not have made it a bit better...
Untitled-9.jpg

One thing I should mention...

My original plan was a 280 Ackley...but that 30-06 barrel is too good to waste...so I'm gonna wear it out first, then do the 280 Ackley. Well...I probably won't wear it out but I am going to shoot it a year or 3 before I change it.

Several calibers would have worked fine...but when I first started planning this rifle I decided that 7mm was the minimum for me. I would have bought it in 280 Remington if Winchester offered it...but they don't. I believe the 280 Ackley has all one could ever hope for in this type of rifle (range, power, accuracy)

Nothing wrong with that group. I like the 30-06; for an all-'round rifle, you couldn't do much better. It will certainly serve as a "do-all" rifle for the west. The McMillan stock will improve looks greatly, and it just may help it shoot somewhat more accurately.

I'm gonna bed the stock in hopes that it will improve accuracy a little...its accurate enough as it is I reckon but a little more never hurts.

The McMillan is a huge upgrade, but it's going to be heavier unless you got edge fill. I personally would have went compact edge, talley lightweight rings and bases and Leupold scope. That would put you around 7.5 lb mark, or so. Will still be a nice rifle regardless!

They told me the stock would weigh between 2 and 2.25 lbs....thats with standard fill...the rifle weighs 8 pounds as it is now.

The Vortex scope is heavier than the Nikon by about 5 ounces, and I'm estimating that the McMillan is around 1 pound heavier than the factory stock, but I really don't know what that factory stock weighs.

I was hoping for around 8 pounds (any less and they start kicking like a mule)...and Kay did tell me that they could make the stocks lighter or heavier (within limits)...I can live with 9 pounds (even 9.5)...I just hope it don't go over that.

The rifle does have steel scope bases (Warne)...but the rings I got are aluminum.

I wanted to try Vortex...I've been keeping an eye on them for a couple of years and decided it was time to see what all the fuss is about. My last Leupold was a decent scope...but not worth the $600 price tag. I've always had good luck with Nikon...but the Monarchs are so bulky...and last but not least, if I don't like the Vortex I'll put it right back in the box and send it back to Midway for exchange...I am gonna check it out next week under all conditions (late evening, early morning, mid day)...I need to spend a day in the stand anyway, just to see what shows up :mrgreen:

I won't mount it until I'm sure I'm gonna like it...

I have a Supergrade Mickey on my .300 WM, and I think I'm gonna like it... I haven't really been able to play with it since I installed it. I think mine's a 14-1/8" LOP. though. Any pics of the new stock?

No pics yet...I won't have it until October....I just ordered it last week. I got the order confirmation email yesterday so its "under way" at least.

There will be all kinds of pics when I get it :mrgreen:

I am glad that you are replacing the Ultimate Shadow stock on your Model 70. These rifles deserve better than that stock for recoil, accuracy and certainly for looks. That stock does nothing for me and I have turned down several deals where I could have bought one of the Super Shadows pretty cheap. The McMillan stocks are great and you won't even have to change bottom metal to one piece. I am glad that you are rescoping it as well. The Vortex should be a good scope for that .30-06 Model 70. Keep us posted.

The 30-06 is a great cartridge and the Model 70 is...................well a Model 70. Nuff said on that! I think the stock will make it a lot more comfortable for you and should improve on the accuracy. What did you shoot in that load. It did pretty darn fine for you! I think a really good 165 or 180 gr. bullet will work perfectly for elk and mule deer both. It's pretty darn hard to beat a 30-06 as a great all-around rifle.
David

RR665, that rifle all set up the way you describe should be about as good as you can do for deer and elk. David nailed it, with a good 165 or 180, I don't think you will have any issues with it at all. It all sounds like a bullet proof set up and one that will be very comfortable for you to carry all day long. Can't wait to see your stock, it sounds like a very nice one. Never owned a McMillan, but their reputation is about as good as it gets for stocks.

What is your load for the rifle? Any bullets you are looking into specifically?

168 Ballistic Tips
58 grains of H4350
Win brass
CCI BR2 primer
2,850 fps

I wish Nosler would make the AccuBond in 168 grains...that other 3 grains goes a long way, literally.

I will likely use Accubonds for elk...

I would almost bet you could run the same exact load your using with BT's right now with the 165 AB and get the same accuracy. Nothing to scoff at with that load though.

I am working with my wifes 308 and 165 AB's and they seem pretty awesome in that little rifle. Can't wait to really ring it out a little more.

You can get the 168 CT Silvertips and they are accurate and fly really well. I have killed a few deer with them and as long as you are not too close, they work fine and do the job. There is enough shank length in the 168 to assure decent penetration on deer certainly.

Sounds like you have a nice rifle there in the plans there! .30-06 will be great out here hunting elk and deer, even pronghorn, moose and black bear if you want. Can't say I'd do much different with the rifle from what you have planned except maybe for a different scope.

I like Vortex and have a couple of 2-7 Vipers that are an awesome little scope for the money, and I'd put the optics on par with a VX-II. I'd have went with a 2.5-8X36 Leupold VX3 CDS or 3-9X40 Ziess Conquest or if you wanted to save a little money a VX2 in 2-7 or 3-9 would have been a near perfect fit as well IMO. I don't think you put too much scope on your rifle, I just like my hunting rifles to have a scope that weighs less than a pound.

I'd run 165 Accubonds or Partitions and be happy, hunting everything I mentioned. I just feel with the quality of todays premium bullets you might as well leave the 180's to the magnum rifles unless you are taking the old 06 after "BIG" bears. I might break down and try the E-tips, Barnes, or Hornady mono metals some day buy I'm so happy with what I'm shooting right now I see no need to switch.

I think in the end you'll be very pleased with how your rifle turns out.

If you want a smaller power scope, Minox (CameraLandNY) has some 1.5-8x32 Model ZA5 scopes (open box specials) for $399. Based on my ZA5, 2-10x40 scope, they are a really good buy for a well perfoming scope and in this price range, no other scopes can touch them for the money and the magnification range (5:1).

I have a Conquest 2.5-8x32 scope and they mount low and are very practical scopes for typical hunting conditions. I have both Minox and Conquest scopes and they are very close in performance. The Minox tends to be a little less money. Both are built of components made in Europe and assembled in the USA.

I needed the extra power on the scope for hunting here at home believe it or not...I hunt my uncles property, have for years, and its 640 acres of mostly river bottom (flat).....cornfield and alfalfa...Its over 500 yards across the alfalfa field and theres only one way to hunt those deer because of where they bed (the island, in the river) and the prevailing wind patterns. The "island" can be accessed by foot if it hasn't rained much....its just a swamp...but if it rains alot, its about 2 feet deep.

If you setup to get them at the upper end of the island (the crossing)....they'll smell you before they leave the island and cross at the other end (540 yards away)...if you set up in the middle of the field, they cross the river to the other fields and you'll never see them...so, I just set up for the long shot and be done with it.

2 years ago I killed a nice tall and wide 5 point (3x2)...through the 9x scope at almost 500 yards he looked like a really nice 6 point, but he was missing a brow tine on one side...I would have left him another year or 2 if I been able to see his antlers better...the point, I want to be able to see a brow tine on a deer standing in the treeline at 600 yards...yes, I'm one of "those" guys...300 yards is "midrange".

Then theres this one...

1201111023.jpg

The 9x scope didn't show me all the broken tines...I woulda still shot him, but I sorta manage this herd and want/need to be sure of what I'm killing if you know what I mean.

My wife looked through the scope today and assured me its a keeper (she's a shooter...knows good glass when she sees it)...said it was very noticeably better than that $600 Leupold I had before...I'll be able to see for myself tomorrow evening if everything goes as planned.

And I'm not knocking your scope, just noting a difference (after all, they are all better than what we had 30 years ago)...but the Viper HS has a whole different lens system than the Viper...supposed to be better glass, better eye relief, friendlier eyebox, same erector as the PST...but thats just what I've heard, I'll know for sure tomorrow...and I agree, at 20 oz., it is a little heavy...but I wanted a 30mm tube (stronger and looks better IMO). I wouldn't want one any heavier...

Also...according to Midway...the Vortex HS doesn't come with a sunshade...but mine DID come with a sunshade, a nice aluminum one.

Ridgerunner665":1fxf9jfl said:
168 Ballistic Tips
58 grains of H4350
Win brass
CCI BR2 primer
2,850 fps

I wish Nosler would make the AccuBond in 168 grains...that other 3 grains goes a long way, literally.

I will likely use Accubonds for elk...
That's a great load as lots of folks seem to us H4350 with about that amount of powder or exactly that amount and a 165-168 grain bullet. IMR4350 at 57.4 grs works for me and both the 165 gr. Partition and the AccuBond. I think you would really like the AccuBond IF your rifle does! If that 168 shoots great, leave your seating die set as is and load enough Accubonds to shoot a couple 3 shot groups. If you do not have any and do not want to buy 50 just to shoot a few, PM me and I will ship you 6 in the mail to your doorstep! I think the BT will work fine, but I prefer the Partitions and the Accubonds over the BT, but that is just me. Maybe I can help make you a believer!! Always there to help a friend in need. :lol:

Bullettests-5-4-12026.jpg

David

ENABLER!!!

LOL...just kidding :grin:

I would like to try the AB's without committing to the price of a whole box...is this the internet's way of paying it forward, LOL?

I sent some cast bullets to a guy in Montana so he could see if he wanted to mess with cast...MontanaMarine was who I sent them to, I did owe him a favor or 2 though...he was my "go to" guy for QuickLoad a few times.

In my experience...there are a lot of good folks in Montana...I get up there a few times a year delivering combines...those farmers are some darn good people. I was through there week before last on my way to Tacoma (taking a cotton picker to the port...bound for China)

Back