Neat little project

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I have upgraded from a Kenmore 17 cubic foot upright freezer which I had for almost 15 years to a new GE 21.3 cubic foot freezer, it was on order for a month, and had no freezer on display to look at and was delivered almost 2 weeks ago. I transferred red stag processed meat that I had remaining from the old to the new one, went shopping to buy some brisket, baby backs, steaks, roasts, and some other items and loaded them up in the new freezer and saw something that I did not like at all. The racks were flexed under the weight, there was roughly 50 lbs on meat on a rack. The old freezer has a solid and better racking system, it has those rods on each corner that slides into a recessed hole in the sides of the freezer and has great support as well, the new freezer does not have any of those and only has a step along the sides where you slide the racks on. I was worried that if adding extra loads of meat, the rack will flex so much that the width of the rack will decrease and slip off the step supports and come crashing down into the lower racks. I thought hard on what to do with that issue, since there will be a black angus processed package coming in 60 days, all 200-300 pounds of it to last us a while. I decided to stop at a hardware store to check on rods, wood, plastic, metal, etc and they were not worth a darn on what I planned to do until I came across 6 foot solid fiberglass rods in the garden department and boy they do not flex at all. I purchased 3 six foot rods and 2 packages of heavy duty wrap around Velcro. Went home and started my little project to fix the 4 of the flexing / sagging racks. Here are some pictures of this little project I did this morning.
4RAsnekl.jpg

Old freezer rack supports
qVGtZ8Bl.jpg

New freezer rack, fiberglass rod and Velcro
CRX7oY2l.jpg

Cut 6 foot rod into 3 two foot pieces
OqjYO6zl.jpg

jFcwi2el.jpg

Final result
rqeagxol.jpg

Racks are nice and straight, no flex and I'm happy as a camper. Time for some coffee. :coffee:

Excellent assessment and repair of what should have been dealt with at the factory. (y)

Back