Neck Sizing vs Full Length ---silly question

284allways

Beginner
Sep 11, 2017
I worked with a 280AI over the past 2 weeks and had somthing happen I have never seen before.
I hadnt used this rifle in 10 years. So the brass was about 12 years old.
The rifle is a ULA M24...known excellent quality platform
I had fired about 50 rounds in a 3 week period
I had neck sized as usual the fired rounds (norma brass 4th firing)
I had trimmed after sizing, cleaned up the primer pockets

I settled on the load 60.0 rl 22 and 160 gr partitions

When I assembled the rounds I notices that the die was scraping the bullet 3/4 of the way down from the nose
The die is a redding(set) competition seating die - I cleaned and dissasembled and it still happened ?

The rounds chambered but scraped in the throat of the rifle, the rounds did this in 35 of the 50 roads loaded??

The runout was between .007 amd .010 ???

I pulled the bullets and full lenth sized the brass (did not bump the shoulder) and re loaded and now my runout was as usual .001-.003 ?

Where did I go wrong ? What did I forget ?

I might be way off base, but it sounds like your cases aren't square to start with due to repeated neck sizing or the neck die isn't aligned properly.

I suspect your brass reached the point where FL / body sizing was needed to get everything back into square / round. After 3-4 neck sizing's I need to run my brass through a FL or Body die to get the them back into square. A lot of my chambers are a little out of round, so after awhile the cases get little bulges along the case body that contact the chamber and sometimes the cases make a clicking noise when extracting... Again, this is my first thought and I could be way off base...

Edited to add: I don't think you are doing anything wrong, just that it was time for those cases to be FL sized. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... base-dies/ - states: "And if you fire them enough times, neck-sized cases will still need to be full-length sized periodically for you to keep using them."

Nimrod84":yhpacepe said:
I might be way off base, but it sounds like your cases aren't square to start with due to repeated neck sizing or the neck die isn't aligned properly.

I suspect your brass reached the point where FL / body sizing was needed to get everything back into square / round. After 3-4 neck sizing's I need to run my brass through a FL or Body die to get the them back into square. A lot of my chambers are a little out of round, so after awhile the cases get little bulges along the case body that contact the chamber and sometimes the cases make a clicking noise when extracting... Again, this is my first thought and I could be way off base...

Edited to add: I don't think you are doing anything wrong, just that it was time for those cases to be FL sized. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... base-dies/ - states: "And if you fire them enough times, neck-sized cases will still need to be full-length sized periodically for you to keep using them."

I’m in full agreement here. Couldn’t have laid it out any better.

Back