Need a 300 win mag recipe

DaveA37

Beginner
Jan 2, 2010
I'd like to try 165 gr Barnes Triple Shock X bullets in a 300 Win mag case on elk this fall. Anyone have a good recipe?

With all the extra grooves in the Triple Shock bullets, OAL length with be an issue. Being a bit long, the bullets will need to be set deeper into the case than the Nosler bullets I typically use in order to meet the OAL length.

I normally use 71 gr of IMR 4350 but that mix fills the 300 Win mag case up to the neck. There would be too much compresion if I push the Barnes bullet deep into the case/powder. Hence a different powder would be in order.

I'm open to your comments and recommendations.

I used 74.5 grains of IMR 7828 for the 180 grains TSX with COAL at 3.372. I have no problem seating the bullet! Never use 4350 but the load density should be less than the 7828 since it has faster burning rate hence more room for the bullet to seat. What brand of brass are you using? I loaded up to 82 grains of H-1000 into a Federal Gold Medal Match brass using 180 grain Hornady BTSP for a slightly compressed load. This is max for the Federal brass which has less volume when compared with any other brand.

I have only loaded the 300 WM with 180 gr bullets and RL 22 for some exceptional accuracy. I would give RL 22 a try with the 165 gr bullets.

JD338

Mine likes 4350 with 180's. For 165"s I think around 70+. You may have to go with a little faster powder like 25 but it may not be fast enough to make much of a difference.

I have an old Remington Model 700 with a factory stainless blued barrel. It loves 71.5 grains of IMR 4350, a 180 grain Partition, and a CCI 250 magnum primer to light it off. 3 shots into a quarter sized group at 100yds. :grin: This is just about a max load - I strongly reccomend to reduce powder charge by 10% and work up carefully.
I personally dont like the triple shocks. Too much bearing surface, hence in most of my rifles I lose some velocity. Elk are tough critters, the bigger the bullet the better! The 180 Partition is flat shooting and hard hitting. If you are hunting brushy areas with shots at 100 yards or less a a 200 grain Partition is good Elk medicine too. Good luck with your hunt.

I personally dont like the triple shocks. Too much bearing surface, hence in most of my rifles I lose some velocity.

Actually, you have less bearing surface on the TSX than on the Partition because of the grove. In my experience, I gain more velocity with the TSX using the same load than with conventional cup/core bullet. Maybe you need to jack-up your powder charge. Approach it with caution though.

I tried some 165's at one time in my 300 Win Mag using IMR4831 and got some really good speeds, of 3200+ if I remember correctly, but they were Hornady Interbonds. Accuracy was kinda out bad, so I jumped to 200gr Sierras and RL22. I got some really good speeds of 2950 and excellent accuracy. I am sure the 165gr TSX's will work for your elk, without issue if used with RL19-22 or the 4831's or 4350's. I have just gotten some 200gr PT's and plan to give them a whirl soon. I will start out with RL22 and see what that does. I don't think you will have too many issues getting enough powder in the case with the 165gr TSX's. They like to be seated further anyhow, so you should be able to get some good speed out of them. Good luck. Scotty

I've had good success with the 165 TSX and TTSX in my .300 WM using 74.5 grs of RL22 and Fed215M primers in Win brass. Velocity runs about 3200+ and accuracy is around 1 MOA or less. I load them .050" off the lands.

I'm loading 74grs of IMR-4350 or 80grs of Reloader-22 with 165gr bullets.That 300 Win Mag case has a lot of powder space.

TXbaldhunter ..... Im loading "74 grs of IMR-4350"

Unless I am missing something, how are you getting that much 4350 into a 300 win mag case?

I almost fill the case with 71 grains of 4350. Infact, I use a small vibrating plate to "settle" the powder into the case so I can insert 165 gr "partitions" without having to compress the powder too much. Trying to seat the TX bullets (and have adequate bullet body to crimp on) and still get the OAL length correct means I MUST seat the bullet deeper into the case/powder charge.

I have never used RL22. I assume that RL22 power physical grain size is smaller than 4350. Is that correct?

Dave

I have been loading 72 gr with the 180 Sierra BT for plinking/target and the 180 Nosler PT since the early 70's and have not problems seating either bullet. I use Winchester cases for the general shooting and they (I think) are a little thinner brass (more case capacity). Remington cases are for my Nosler PT, (flat base slightly shorter bullet) again no problems. I do load them as long as the magazine will allow. I do feel the powder crunch a little as I seat but have "never" had a bullet back out any to my knowledge. I am thinking the TX is longer that the PT but similar to the Seirra BT.

The only time I've ever compressed powder in the .300 WM was when I was trying a load with 80 grs. of H1000. Other than that I've never had such a problem. I've used Win. and Nosler brass.

I'm talking about the 300 Win mag (not WSM).

I have some 4831 (similar to RL-22 in burn rate) that I am going to give a try. Since the Barnes bullets need a bit more space seated down in the short neck case (New Win cases by the way) I'll still have to seat them deeper to reach the proper OAL length and still land on the "lands" of the bullet for a good crimp.

The rifle is a piece I put together around a Mauser 98 action. The rifle has served me very well and I have been shooting Noslers in it for several years (with good accuracy) but thought I would give the "solid" Barnes bullet a try on elk. I realize I could go to heavier bullets (180, 220, etc.) but wanted to see what the 165 or 168 gr Barnes would compare to. If one considers that smaller calibers are very good elk rifles and they use lighter weight bullets, the 300 Win mag with 165 gr should be VERY adequate for the purpose.

I have noted that the 165 gr NP's do fragment when using 71 gr of 4350 and figured that going with a "hotter" powder would only enhance the fragmentation problem.

Am I way off base here?

Dave, nothing wrong with trying a new bullet, I do it all the time, but the Nosler PT is designed to shred/lose some lead/jacket off the front half in front of the Partition. It is not bonded and that is where the magic lies with the bullet, it opens fast leaving a vast wound cavity and the rear half continues to drive on through. PT's aren't really good bullets for picture perfect mushrooms in game, they are however, very reliable and will usually have lost some weight which makes a recovered bullet look mangled. This is a good thing.

RL22 is a great powder in the 300 Win Mag with 180-200gr bullets. The lighter mono bullets are pretty tough, and have done well by me, but if you have a good thing going with the 165's in your 300, I wouldn't fear any elk walking away and not dieing shortly there after getting one in the soft stuff. Scotty

I had used 71.0 gr of RL-22 with 200gr TSX's. I liked the performance of 180gr Accubonds in my 300WM on big game and the range so I stuck with them

DaveA37,
No problem at all getting 74.0grs of IMR-4350 in the 300 Win Mag case.This load is right out of a Sierra Manual for for 165gr bullets.It shows it @3200fps and that's exactly what I got on my chronograph.You can even hear the powder shaking around when you shake a loaded round,so there is still air space left inside.80grs of Reloader-22 fills the case with the 165's @ 3300fps,but it's not what I would consider to be a compressed load.77.0grs of Reloader-22 with a 180gr Nosler Partion has a little air space left in it too,because you can hear the powder shake around when you shake it.As far as the difference between IMR-4350 and Reloader-22,the IMR-4350 is a faster burning powder,so you would use less than the slower burning Reloader-22.IMR-4350 is a long stick type granule where Reloader-22 is a shorter fatter granule,so the Reloader-22 does pack a little tighter.I'm not sure what type of scale you are using,I'm using a RCBS 1500 scale and I check the calibration against the calibration weights,so I know I'm accurate.If your having problems with your cases being full at 71.0grs of IMR-4350,I'd make sure your scale is weighing accurately.Not trying to be a smart a$$,just trying to be safe and figure out the problem.

TXBaldHunter.........I think you are close to answering the "case full" issue since I too was wondering why no one else had a similar problem when using 71 gr of 4350 in the new cases. I am going to try a different scale to compare with mine. I have an electronic scale used for commercial purposes (very accurate and in calibration) and a RCBS beam scale. I am beginning to think it could be a scale problem. IF that IS the problem, I have a lot of other loads that will have to be checked.

Oh my goodness what a task that will be. :shock:

DaveA37,

A set of check weighs is reasonably priced and an excellent investment. It will address the issue you raise in less than a minute.

Back