New cold weather camo question?

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
I purchased a parka and bibs from Midway on super clearance. I followed their measurement guide when ordering and both the parka and bib fit fine. My concern is how baggy the arms and legs are. I feel like I could down size one, but is the extra bagginess part of the insulation? I did try both on with my typical layers and I could grab a good handful of material on arms and legs.

I suppose I will just need to get used to them, I can move like a ninja in them compared to my old carhart/camo cover layer system.

Cold weather gear is typically baggy. You're really generating a layer of warm air between you and the environment. Tight clothes don't insulate as well as loose ones. Tighter clothes also restrict blood flow to extremities and you'll get colder, faster.

I oversize my winter parka and bibs. My winter boots are actually a full size too big- they're clumsy but warm. If I wear my actual size my feet freeze. I was hunting with a noob this year and in some cold weather he kept complaining that his feet were cold- I had him really loosen the laces and they warmed right up.

You want baggy clothes to have room to trap warm air between your outer layer and your body; this will help keep you warmer. Tight fitting clothing wil not do this and you will be be colder. This will be even worse if you are sitting in one place for any length of time, such as in a blind during a winter hunt for deer, elk or wolf. But there is such a thing as too baggy!

A popular unit here in Canada is the heater body suit. Basically a sleeping bag design altered to shelter a completely clothed hunter while sitting for long hours on stand when it is -30 degrees or colder.

Hehe. But I throw horses around for a living and some already call me Popeye... :wink:

Back